Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 AM

160 posts, read 183,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
OK EVERYONE CAN STOP TALKING. I HAVE THE ANSWER.

I grew up in Maryland. My grandmother who was from Alabama raised me, and I know all to well of old school southern culture. My father, on the other hand, was from New Jersey. I've lived in both the south and the north and am familiar with both cultures.

Maryland in and around DC is definitely more of a Northern State in terms of culture, liberalness, religion, etc.

Maryland out on the Eastern Shore and down towards Virginia is more of a Southern State. Down and out there they have smaller towns, have southern accents, and are more Christian and more religious. And quite frankly, they have the 100% I'm right and you're wrong, black and white thinking that most southerners have, too. They're also more racist, sexist and homophobic and also more Republican. I'm not saying everyone down south is like that, what I'm saying is the south has a higher percentage of people who are like that than the north, and the same is true for southern and eastern Maryland vs. northern Maryland.

Since MD is a border state, it would make sense that part of it is more northern and part of it is more southern. It's divided.
Finally someone spoke the truth! This has already been said but they are just reluctant to accept that MD is a southern border state for whatever reason.

+1 for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Read the last few pages.....
I've read the entire thread and you're the only one talking about it.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
DC is neutral it's neither north nor south. North of DC is the Northeast, south of DC is the south.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
Finally someone spoke the truth! This has already been said but they are just reluctant to accept that MD is a southern border state for whatever reason.

+1 for you.
I mean, the southern part of Maryland is not as southern as Alabama, nor is the northern part as northern as NY. But that's because literally the whole state of Maryland is a border between the North and South. It's going to be a little bit of both and not quite enough of either. The boundary begins in MD and extends through Northern Virginia. The more authentically southern part starts in Richmond, VA.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've read the entire thread and you're the only one talking about it.
Whatever your opinion is won't change the FACT that Marland is a Southern State.......

Deal with it..........

Old 06-05-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
DC is neutral it's neither north nor south. North of DC is the Northeast, south of DC is the south.
Your opinion which will not remove the Fact that Maryland is in the South....

And BTW You do know that Maryland is also South of DC; Technically part of Maryland(Prince Georges County, Charles County, St. Mary's County, etc.) is South/South East of DC and Virginia is South/South West of DC.........

Old 06-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I mean, the southern part of Maryland is not as southern as Alabama, nor is the northern part as northern as NY. But that's because literally the whole state of Maryland is a border between the North and South. It's going to be a little bit of both and not quite enough of either. The boundary begins in MD and extends through Northern Virginia. The more authentically southern part starts in Richmond, VA.
Either way you describe it Maryland is a Southern State........

Old 06-05-2010, 02:05 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
Quote:
Either way you describe it Maryland is a Southern State........
Technically speaking, yes, Maryland is a southern state because it lies directly beneath the Mason-Dixon line.

Culturally speaking, however, it is most definitely NOT 100% southern.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Whatever your opinion is won't change the FACT that Marland is a Southern State.......

Deal with it..........
Deal with this, most people in here are going to disagree with you on this topic.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:31 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
I went to Maryland (around University of Maryland) and while I heard a trace of a southern accent, I didn't feel like I was in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.