Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 04:26 PM

42 posts, read 56,784 times

Advertisements

Here is what I consider southern:

Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Delaware, Maryland.

I live in pennsylvania, and although most people say its northern and I live on the state border for NJ, I consider it southern too, mainly because of the nature of the 215 area code, and 717 area code, and also I guess you could say the 610 area code, which is where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:44 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,565,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Wait what? You're saying the Houstonian accent isn't Southern?
The traditional, old Houston accent is indeed very Southern, as are the accents in all Texas cities, large and small (except perhaps El Paso)... but in the last 30 years or so it has been rapidly fading due to the heavy influx of transplants from all over the country (and the world). The younger generations of even the old 4th and 5th gen Houstonians really don't speak with hardly any accent at all anymore. This is evident to me every time I go back there to visit family. It seems to become less prevalent upon each visit. Same goes for Dallas. I would have to think that this is true of all major Southern metros with rapid growth rates. Believe it or not, there was once a time when Miami was considered very much a Southern city, with thick Southern accents being the norm. Boom times change everything.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,829,722 times
Well, to me, southern NJ is where it starts to feel a bit southern, and then it's just all downhill from there.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
The traditional, old Houston accent is indeed very Southern, as are the accents in all Texas cities, large and small (except perhaps El Paso)... but in the last 30 years or so it has been rapidly fading due to the heavy influx of transplants from all over the country (and the world). The younger generations of even the old 4th and 5th gen Houstonians really don't speak with hardly any accent at all anymore. This is evident to me every time I go back there to visit family. It seems to become less prevalent upon each visit. Same goes for Dallas. I would have to think that this is true of all major Southern metros with rapid growth rates. Believe it or not, there was once a time when Miami was considered very much a Southern city, with thick Southern accents being the norm. Boom times change everything.
From my experience in talking with DC natives, you can add them as well. A friend of mine in his 50s sounds like he came from South Carolina somewhere but he was born and raised in DC.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,565,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
From my experience in talking with DC natives, you can add them as well. A friend of mine in his 50s sounds like he came from South Carolina somewhere but he was born and raised in DC.
My father-in-law was born and raised in the Maryland suburbs of DC, and even though he moved to the West coast immediately after he graduated high school, he still speaks with a noticeable Southern accent.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
Kentucky seems more like Ohio and Indiana than the south. Its two main working metros are right at those state borders in Louisville and Cincy. I live in SC and I don't know anybody down here who goes to Kentucky unless they have some relatives up there. I've interacted with other southern states.
Well, I live in Wisconsin (which is in the Midwest) and Kentucky shares far more with you than me. To me, Kentucky is and will always be southern. At least during my lifetime. Only deep south folks ever seem to place it outside the region.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times
Deep South folks will always say they're the true southerners, and some will jokingly call states like TN, NC, and VA not the "true south." I'm talking about the big four Deep South states: Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. Personally, I'd say Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee are the southern states with the least outside influences. Virginia is mostly southern, but is Mid-Atlantic in NOVA. Kentucky has Mid-Western influences in the Cincinnati suburbs and Louisville. Northern Florida is Deep South, but we all know the story with the rest of the state. I know I'm going to get criticism for saying this, but I think Arkansas has slight Mid-Western influences in areas like the Ozarks and the areas bordering Missouri and Oklahoma. Louisiana is Deep South overall, but you also have the Cajun influence which isn't that typical of the south. East Texas is Deep South, the rest of the state is a different story. I don't consider Oklahoma to be southern in the long run, nor Missouri, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware. That's just me, though.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
lol the Carolinas are overrun with northern and Midwestern transplants. SC is nothing like MS.
You'll find more transplants in the Atlanta metro than the Carolina's, I wouldn't go as far to say transplants overrun the Carolinas. Plus, it's not like they're moving into the rural areas.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
lol Greenville Charleston and Columbia, plus Mryble Beach and Hilton Head are getting tons of transplants. So does the Aiken area. The state has had like 36 percent population growth past 12 years or so.

Most of the population of SC is in the 3 main cities, MB, and York County outside of Charlotte.

Comparing it to MS is silly, there is little population growth there, and really only one city.
I never really compared it to MS besides providing the fact that both are Deep South states, and historically, they are pretty similar. Both heavily relied on cotton and plantations, SC was the first state to secede and MS was second. Also, I'm sure there are plenty of areas in both states that are similar, mostly in the rural areas. However, today, you'll find more similarities between SC and NC/GA.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:26 PM

320 posts, read 575,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Deep South folks will always say they're the true southerners, and some will jokingly call states like TN, NC, and VA not the "true south." I'm talking about the big four Deep South states: Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. Personally, I'd say Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee are the southern states with the least outside influences. Virginia is mostly southern, but is Mid-Atlantic in NOVA. Kentucky has Mid-Western influences in the Cincinnati suburbs and Louisville. Northern Florida is Deep South, but we all know the story with the rest of the state. I know I'm going to get criticism for saying this, but I think Arkansas has slight Mid-Western influences in areas like the Ozarks and the areas bordering Missouri and Oklahoma. Louisiana is Deep South overall, but you also have the Cajun influence which isn't that typical of the south. East Texas is Deep South, the rest of the state is a different story. I don't consider Oklahoma to be southern in the long run, nor Missouri, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware. That's just me, though.

You can go ahead and forget about Georgia not having outside influence. I Iived in Mississippi for four years and didn't see anywhere near the amount of transplants that I see here in Georgia. And I don't live near Atlanta. No southern state is southern through and through. Certain areas are transplant free but not entire states. Savannah, Charlotte and Birmingham have more transplants than anywhere in the Delta. So I guess they're not so southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.