Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 AM

13 posts, read 14,012 times

Advertisements

Hi folks I've been searching and browsing this site for awhile now for help with some answers, but decided to write my own post.

A bit about me. I'm a 30 year old single guy. For the last 4 years I have worked as a whitewater rafting guide and traveled the world. Really not living anywhere for more than 4 months at a time. Exciting...yes, but I'm craving "home". I miss having a girlfriend (hard on the road), being a part of a community, cooking, etc.

I'm from Placerville, CA which I think is a great place to live, just not for me right now. Ready to find my own place and not my hometown.

So a bit about what I'm looking for.

Not too big of a city, I'm definitely a country boy. But not too small either, as I want to be quite social at this point in life.

Outdoorsy community with whitewater in close proximity

As I am single, somewhere with a cool younger crowd. I'm def not a partier, but somewhere where I'm not the only single youngish person around.

Somewhere with a vibrant community. Farmers markets, music scene, restaurants, a downtown, etc.

Oh and a lot of sunshine. Kind of leaves out the PNW.

I could go on and on...

Right now I'm between Boise, Fort Collins, and southern Oregon. Looking forward to what you guys have to say.

Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Oh and I forgot to mention that low cost of living is very important. I would eventually like to buy a home...

Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
For whitewater, don't forget to check out Western Maryland (Deep Creek Lake and the Yough) and WV. Fayetteville/Summersville is rural but pretty amazing for whitewater. You will get a job no problem there. Also check out the southern Appalachians on the TN side for rafting.

I'm mentioning these areas because of the lower cost of living and outdoorsy types.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 12-28-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 01:38 PM

34 posts, read 34,491 times
Outdoorsy can mean a lot of things. Most of them don't overlap.

What exactly do you see yourself doing in your free time?

Hunting? Hiking? Rafting? All the places you mention are generally described as "outdoor friendly," and I've come to understand what most people generally mean by that is "good hiking."

Old 12-28-2014, 05:51 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,404 times
Boulder Colorado all the way

Old 12-29-2014, 05:55 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Asheville NC nails all of your criteria quite well.

Asheville NC Whitewater Rafting Guide
About Asheville - Maps, History & Local Information | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site
Asheville Nightlife | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 PM

Yeah I def. qualify as very outdoorsy. Mountaineering, skiing, very into whitewater. I also just like living in an outdoorsy culture. People tend to be nicer and more down to earth when thru are in touch with nature.

I should have mentioned it would be nice to live fairly close to CA so I can drive or have a short flight back home to visit.

I have been looking at Asheville for a long time actually. I'm a bit of a hippie as well so I would fit right in.

Fort Collins really appeals to me because of its close proximity to Denver and other cities. Where as Boise is quite isolated. Pretty torn between those two places.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 PM

534 posts, read 1,534,024 times
LOL Scottrist, saw the title and had to come on to suggest....Placerville! Never mind

Trying to think of where most of our guide friends go when they tire of Coloma (you'll miss Coloma Club, yeah? Maybe not, if you're not too big of a partier - maybe more like Gringo's? We like Marcos)...

Gauley River, West Virginia
Moab, Utah (Green River)
Arkansas River, Colorado
Rogue River, Oregon

My kid is a local river rat and is enjoying the outdoors while going to college in Salt Lake City - likely coming home to guide this summer. Park City is only 20 minutes away for snowboarding; lots of canyoneering and climbing - unfortunately, no whitewater action nearby.

Seems like Colorado might be good culture-wise and distance-wise to here. SLC is a long haul when we go to visit our kid and drive, but cheaper than flying.

Best to you! I hope you find what you're looking for - many of our guide friends have settled down - 30ish seems to be the age - and of course, many are still traveling. It's snowing in Camino tonight, friends say (we're Bruins), and I'm looking forward to some music and pizza at Marco's this summer! Do you know any of our friends? Taylor, Stacey and her brother Alex, Danny-boy, Cud, Fletch, Jen & Ben, Gina, Wiz, Ed & Laura, Jen M, Jeff W, Chafic, David J and his brother Michael J, Erin & Grubby, Hugo, Hunter?

Old 12-31-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
LOL Scottrist, saw the title and had to come on to suggest....Placerville! Never mind

Trying to think of where most of our guide friends go when they tire of Coloma (you'll miss Coloma Club, yeah? Maybe not, if you're not too big of a partier - maybe more like Gringo's? We like Marcos)...

Gauley River, West Virginia
Moab, Utah (Green River)
Arkansas River, Colorado
Rogue River, Oregon

My kid is a local river rat and is enjoying the outdoors while going to college in Salt Lake City - likely coming home to guide this summer. Park City is only 20 minutes away for snowboarding; lots of canyoneering and climbing - unfortunately, no whitewater action nearby.

Seems like Colorado might be good culture-wise and distance-wise to here. SLC is a long haul when we go to visit our kid and drive, but cheaper than flying.

Best to you! I hope you find what you're looking for - many of our guide friends have settled down - 30ish seems to be the age - and of course, many are still traveling. It's snowing in Camino tonight, friends say (we're Bruins), and I'm looking forward to some music and pizza at Marco's this summer! Do you know any of our friends? Taylor, Stacey and her brother Alex, Danny-boy, Cud, Fletch, Jen & Ben, Gina, Wiz, Ed & Laura, Jen M, Jeff W, Chafic, David J and his brother Michael J, Erin & Grubby, Hugo, Hunter?

Awesome. yeah I guided on the American for years! Time to settle, yes. I'm working this SUmmer on the Middle Fork of the Salmon, but probably my last year doing Multi-days. Fort Collins was appealing for the Pueder river.

I see myself becoming a weekend warrior since i want to start my own business. Not seeing myself in WV, but maybe Southern Oregon. I used to work on the Rogue. My problem is I fall in love with every place I go!

Old 01-01-2015, 01:41 AM

137 posts, read 255,854 times
You've got to seriously consider Ashland Oregon! Someone above mentioned the Rogue river and I think you will find everything you are looking for, somewhere around the Ashland area.

I would say the two biggest cons for you would be:
-Far from a big city, really far. I don't think there is a big city anywhere near at all, in fact, with the exception of the rocky mountain states, you are about as far from a big city as you can get. Sacramento and Portland are about the same distance away. San Francisco isn't much farther, and of course, way better than Sac. But they are all pretty far, and they "feel" much further because of all the mountains you have to drive through to get there.

-I don't know what you consider too small, but it may be too small. The whole area has a decent population, and you will certainly like the types of people you meet and the overall demographics. But sometimes the dating pool gets pretty narrow pretty quick in towns of this size. I don't know how old of girls you are looking for, there is the University there, its not a big one, but it keeps the 18-24 year old dating pool fresh.

As for pros, there are a lot.
-It's not sunny like California, but it's not like Eugene or Portland. It gets about 50% more sun there. It's warmer a lot of the year, or colder. But in a good way. In a nice winter way, instead of the 45 and raining like the rest of Western Oregon.

-Lots of choices for outdoor sports. I think the Rogue River may be super good, but none of the other sporting choices are world class. It just has a lot of them. I mean, there is skiing, it's just not Colorado. There is mountain biking, it's just not Moab(although really good) you get what I mean. There are mountains, they just aren't the highest or prettiest.

-Good demographics

-Somewhere you will find a house someday that you can afford. It may not be on the mountainside right up from downtown Ashland, but there is stuff there that isn't too expensive.

-Plenty of somewhat hippy chicks on the prowl for you.

-Since it is so far from a city, Medford pretty much has most supplies you would need. Much bigger selection of stuff than most cities it's size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.