Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 50,611 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a town that has any sort of an artist community nearby? Painters? Sculptors? Ceramicists? That sort of thing. Much obliged!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 04:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Milford, PA was recently named one of the ten coolest small towns in America by a major travel publication. It is home to quite a bit of artisans and artists. The town is the seat of Pike County, the fastest-growing county in Pennsylvania, and is located about 90 minutes northwest of NYC and 45 minutes east of Scranton, PA. Here is a photo tour of the town:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...hoto-tour.html

Further northwest are the communities of Honesdale and Hawley, PA, both of which also have growing art communities. Honesdale is the largest of these three communities, with a population of about 6,000, and it has a nostalgic Main Street atmosphere with a lot of sidewalk sales and annual festivals. Hawley is a tiny hamlet that packs quite a bit of punch in its small boundaries. It is also the gateway community to popular Lake Wallenpaupack.
Here are my photo tours of Honesdale and Hawley respectively:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...art-three.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...hoto-tour.html

If you wanted a more medium-sized city, both Scranton and Bethlehem, PA are reinventing themselves as former gritty blue-collar industrial communities into trendy areas with a lot of galleries, lofts, studios, etc., and both have about 75,000 residents. Bethlehem is further ahead on its urban renaissance than Scranton is, but Scranton's crime level and cost-of-living have remained much more reasonable than Bethlehem's, so be sure to weigh all of your options in that category. Bethlehem is about 90-minutes from either Philly or NYC, and Scranton is about 2-hours from either city. There have been rumors going around that both Bethlehem and Scranton will someday be linked via commuter rail to NYC, but I've yet to see progress on either city's front in that respect. Here are photo tours I have done of each city:

Bethlehem: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...hoto-tour.html

Scranton, Center City: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...-part-one.html
Scranton, Green Ridge Historic District: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...enjoyment.html
Scranton, "The Hill": //www.city-data.com/forum/north...l-section.html
Scranton, Hyde Park: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...west-side.html
Scranton, Nay Aug Park: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...-aug-park.html

Other local towns near Scranton that come to mind include:

Lewisburg: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...hoto-tour.html

Jim Thorpe: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...hoto-tour.html

Old 09-06-2007, 10:46 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
Any large city will have an artist community. There are several in and around St. Louis.

Small towns would include:
Padukah KY They even have an artist relocation program.
The west coast of Michigan.
The oregon coast.

Santa Fe (of course) and north east New Mexico.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Another vote for Santa Fe. Or Scottsdale, AZ too (if you can handle the weather). When I visit Door County, WI, I see several galleries around too. Figured that might be worth mentioning.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM

43 posts, read 216,066 times
Default Arts community

Asheville, NC is supposed to have a very nice arts community (never been, but I heard about it).

There are probably also lots of other small towns that have strong artistic communities. There are probably towns/small cities in New England that have a lot of artists and creative people. I was in Provincetown, RI some time ago and it seemed to have a very artistic type of community.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Charlottesville, VA is one. Athens, GA is another.

I'm not sure what they have in the Northeast. Likely something.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:23 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
Port Townsend, WA is very arts-oriented community. Expensive to live there, though.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:10 PM

38 posts, read 234,750 times
Eugene, Oregon and the Oregon coast are very art oriented. Also the little town of Madrid, New Mexico is basically an artist commune that functions as a town. Santa Fe a few miles to the north is also known for its art community and numerous galleries.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 PM

154 posts, read 707,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantraveler View Post
I was in Provincetown, RI some time ago and it seemed to have a very artistic type of community.
that doesn't exist. you mean either providence, RI (the city & capital of RI); or provincetown, MA (the last town on the tip of cape cod). i guess both could fit the qualifications, but providence more so since it's a huge college town and pretty artsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.