U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 59,183,800 times

Advertisements

Do you find people attitude and behaviors about work are different in each of the regions of United States?

I use to work for a company and I did new store openings training and it was amazing the difference in the work culture from Michigan to Texas.

The crew in Michigan did what was told and did it swiftly but they also had an attitude and this sneaky conniving behavior. What ever they was suppose to come in and do that is it. No staying later or helping out.

The crew in Georgia I had to train a little more and seem to take forever for them to get tasks done that was the same as the ones done in other states.
It was more of a laid back I am getting to it just give me a bit type of behavior. They however had a good attitude and often did not mind doing some extra beyond what was asked.

I am by no means putting down any region because I could find the positive and negative that each type of work enviroment provided.

Have you experience different work behaviors?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,183,391 times
I worked for the same company both in Connecticut and in New Mexico. It was way too laid back in NM! No one showed up on time, starting time was a mere suggestion. There was a serious lack of work ethic.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,124,092 times
Where I work there is a mixture of ages. Usually there is no real rush and for the most part people do extra if asked (even work later if they can) There is almost a family atmosphere there and I do believe that people there truly love each other! As a matter of fact just last night several got together for a dodgeball game. Oh, I didn't mention that I am a seasonal at the Louisville zoo and at that game were keepers from differing areas, guest services(where I work), metazoo and gift shop people so even different departments get together!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:54 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,516,141 times
Yes, I've noticed a difference moving from NJ to SC. In NJ the realtors work nights and weekends in addition to during the day. I'm finding here in SC they do not work nights and weekends as much, especially Sundays. Then I hear about other industries here are the same and the attitude towards work is different. People work when they want and spend more time with their families. I like that but sometimes it's hard to get things accomplished when the other people you work with can't be reached or return calls because they are taking time off. I think there's a different work ethic too because I've spoken with people that run businesses here and they can't keep any help because people don't show up or come in late a lot. I also see good i and bad in both areas.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,092,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Do you find people attitude and behaviors about work are different in each of the regions of United States?

I use to work for a company and I did new store openings training and it was amazing the difference in the work culture from Michigan to Texas.

The crew in Michigan did what was told and did it swiftly but they also had an attitude and this sneaky conniving behavior. What ever they was suppose to come in and do that is it. No staying later or helping out.

The crew in Georgia I had to train a little more and seem to take forever for them to get tasks done that was the same as the ones done in other states.
It was more of a laid back I am getting to it just give me a bit type of behavior. They however had a good attitude and often did not mind doing some extra beyond what was asked.

I am by no means putting down any region because I could find the positive and negative that each type of work enviroment provided.

Have you experience different work behaviors?
actually, no. i've worked in the following places for MORE than a month at a time: NJ (obviously), NYC, OH, IN, MI, MN, IL, FL, GA, CA. (plus spent a shorter amount of time in about 20 other states) i really didn't notice any difference. HOWEVER, keep in mind this is for all the same company (extremely large Fortune 100 Co.), so i think the corporate culture trumped any local culture?

Last edited by tahiti; 09-07-2007 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 AM

84 posts, read 65,038 times
Not even by region. I have noticed a very real difference between the work ethic in LA, and San Diego. In LA everyone seems to be in a hurry and far more buisness like. San Diego is much more laid back. While I wouldn't show up to work more than ten mins. late, I still don't show up on time. My boss doesn't care. It has been like that at every place I have worked. You don't find that too much in LA.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:12 AM

5,314 posts, read 5,460,762 times
No.............

Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,230,655 times
I have found that there are "laid back" workplaces mixed in everywhere -- it just depends on the work ethic which begins at the top, and they set the standard.

Some of my best co-workers were in North Carolina (due to the manager's motivation and good training), and New York. I am not from there, but I have enjoyed working with NYers the most (both in NY and with transplants in Florida) because they have a good, proud work ethic which was most consistent.

PA, different story, for the most part. It's my home, but the collective attitude is different. Lower self-esteem altogether near Philly (born & raised here). Philly area, particularly suburbs excluding the Main Line, just seems more "Woe is me, I have so many personal problems, so I really don't care." The managers' excuse is "well we can't find good help", but they won't bother to train and enforce the rules (like the same people always showing up for work bombed out of their skulls...) The South may be a little more laid back, but no place I worked down there tolerated this.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:39 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,712,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
actually, no. i've worked in the following places for MORE than a month at a time: NJ (obviously), NYC, OH, IN, MI, MN, IL, FL, GA, CA. (plus spent a shorter amount of time in about 20 other states) i really didn't notice any difference. HOWEVER, keep in mind this is for all the same company (extremely large Fortune 100 Co.), so i think the corporate culture trumped any local culture?
When you were in Georgia, were the employees predominantly Georgians? In California were they mostly Californians, in Illinois were the midwesterners, etc.?

I'm sure it depends on what you do, but my experience is that large corporations have little concern about shuffling someone from, say, Cleveland to Atlanta. When I worked for a big outfit in Greensboro, North Carolina, I'd say about 75% of our office (out of about 50) was from California, the northeast, or the midwest. We actually had a ton of people from Michigan and upstate New York. We might've been in North Carolina, but our employees were typically not southerners.

Now I live in a coastal city in NC, so we have a very transient population from all over the country. You can tell a big difference in service in the "transplant stores," which are upscale, impersonal, have wider selections, and are extremely efficient, compared to the "local stores", which are more run down, the service is slooooooow but people are more friendly.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,092,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
When you were in Georgia, were the employees predominantly Georgians? In California were they mostly Californians, in Illinois were the midwesterners, etc.?

I'm sure it depends on what you do, but my experience is that large corporations have little concern about shuffling someone from Cleveland to Atlanta. When I worked for a big outfit in North Carolina, I'd say about 75% of our office (out of about 50) was from California, the northeast, or the midwest. We actually had a ton of people from Michigan and upstate New York.
mostly natives. the midwest states were mostly smaller satellite sales offices, which aren't prime relo places, lol. I ran across some in FL and GA who were transplants however. Oddly enough, the place with the most non-natives? NJ (b/c it was Corporate HQ). I now work with a lot of folks from NC (not onsite, but over the phone) and out of those I do deal with, I'd say it's 80% native, 20% transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or