Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 881 times

Advertisements

Good! I see you're originally from up north and currently live in the DFW area. I also live in the DFW area.

The few people I have told this fact whom are originally from up north simply don't believe me when I tell them this fact. That is - there are locations in Canada that normally enjoy warmer winter seasons than parts of the DFW Metroplex. Do YOU belive me - honest answer please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 PM

71 posts, read 114,608 times
I know that comparing Canada's winters to the south sound amazing, I didn't realize it was that much of a secret though. Most weather on the west coast is obviously heavily affected by the ocean, as all areas near major bodies of water (including the Great Lakes) tend to get warmer winters and cooler summers than other areas with similar latitudes. Many of my friends here in Tennessee take vacations to Florida in the summer and claim that it actually feels cooler there due to less humidity and a breeze off of the ocean. The thing is that it really is only able to affect the first few miles inland. If you go 30-50 miles inland of Canada's western shoreline the weather is going to change dramatically from the coastal weather, giving you a much much colder climate than anywhere down south. Also although the coastal areas may have some milder average low temperatures but they also have the same or lower average high temperatures and much more snowfall according to every statistic I can find. Although the temps may occasionally drop down a little lower at night, they also usually rise a little higher during the day. You can also say that parts of Michigan have a higher average snowfall than much of Alaska. Although Alaska as a whole has a much more severe winter, the Great Lakes help to produce much snow fall in a few areas very near to the Lakes. Elevation also plays a big part, as it can be colder in the mountains of New Mexico or Colorado than it may be in North Dakota or even central Canada at times. Most people prefer areas outside of the extreme heat or extreme cold, areas where there is not a huge difference between the daytime high and night time lows. That's why it costs a fortune to live in places on the western coast like Vancouver or San Francisco. I myself prefer a defined four seasons which unfortunately the southern U.S. does not have. I think the Great Lakes region has thee best weather. They enjoy a cooler summer than much of the midwest or south, and on the other hand also enjoy a much warmer winter than many areas as far north, then because of the lakes they also get more snow than any region east of the Mississippi River.

Last edited by TENNYOOPER; 11-24-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM

71 posts, read 114,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Are you old, obese, come from some nordic country or diabetic? I am just wondering why people say things about "heat stroke" in the hot areas. I've done triathlon training and *gasp* played outside as a kid in the dead summer in tropical areas. How do you think the best sprinters/runners in the world come out of Jamaica and Africa, or why the lions share of athletes come out of Florida, Louisiana, Georgia and Texas?
I am beginning to think a lot of people on these forums are just old or obese.
More people die from heat related deaths every year than any other weather related events on average. Not to mention that more droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, sunamis, ect. tend to occur much more in warmer climates. Oddly enough most of our wars are fought in, most crooked governments, and many other world conflicts seem to also be more prevalent in warmer more tropical regions of the world. When is the last time you heard of Canada causing problems or slavery, human-trafficking, or major drug smuggling coming out of Finland or Sweden. I did move to Tennessee from the far northern U.S. and hate the summers here. You can walk outside to check the mail in July and your shirt gets wet and you practically need a shower. It is not only hot, but miserably humid to the point where it is difficult to breathe. I am not obese whatsoever but actually in pretty good shape. You can dress right for cold weather and barely be affected by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.