Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US cities will rebound posting a population gain in 2020?
Baltimore, MD 35 19.66%
Birmingham, AL 28 15.73%
Buffalo, NY 11 6.18%
Chicago, IL 61 34.27%
Cincinnati, OH 34 19.10%
Cleveland, OH 26 14.61%
Detroit, MI 26 14.61%
New Orleans, LA 72 40.45%
Oakland, CA 44 24.72%
Pittsburgh, PA 63 35.39%
Rochester, NY 16 8.99%
Toledo, OH 13 7.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,267,639 times

Advertisements

Chicago, New Orleans and Pittsbirgh definitely will!
I think Birmingham, al may gain too because of its warm climate and relatively low cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Chicago, Pittsburgh.

Detroit will continue to post a decline at a rapid pace.

Cleveland will continue to decline.

New Orleans will grow, but slowly.

Cincinnati will remain stagnant.

All the other smaller rust belt cities will continue to decline.

Birmingham, eh, I never really gave it a second thought.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
New Orleans will gain for obvious reasons.

I believe Detroit, Cleveland and Baltimore have all bottomed out and will post a gain of some kind in the next census. Cleveland in particular is undergoing a resurgence.

Oakland's small decline from the previous census was due to a rapid loss of African-Americans, at a time when the other ethnic groups were moving in. It's become an even more desirable place to live and should have its highest population number yet in 2020.

The rest of the cities will probably benefit from the continued trend of young people moving to the city, though there may be an exception for Toledo & Buffalo. Unfortunately I don't see much to attract anyone to those cities at this point, and the same will likely be true 8 years from now.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,800 times
I can see New Orleans turning it around. A hurricane the magnitude of Katrina probably won't happen again for many years in the Gulf of Mexico. Of the cities listed, the ones in the South will likely turn around faster than those up north (though it would be nice if everyone did).

Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
New Orleans will gain for obvious reasons.

I believe Detroit, Cleveland and Baltimore have all bottomed out and will post a gain of some kind in the next census. Cleveland in particular is undergoing a resurgence.

Oakland's small decline from the previous census was due to a rapid loss of African-Americans, at a time when the other ethnic groups were moving in. It's become an even more desirable place to live and should have its highest population number yet in 2020.

The rest of the cities will probably benefit from the continued trend of young people moving to the city, though there may be an exception for Toledo & Buffalo. Unfortunately I don't see much to attract anyone to those cities at this point, and the same will likely be true 8 years from now.
I agree with Oakland, from what I hear anyways! If we had to live in the Bay Area, I'd seriously start our search with Oakland and brach out from there.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Chicago, Pittsburgh.

Detroit will continue to post a decline at a rapid pace.

Cleveland will continue to decline.

New Orleans will grow, but slowly.

All the other smaller rust belt cities will continue to decline.

Birmingham, eh, I never really gave it a second thought.
I think this a realistic, though bleak, assessment.

We all cheer for Detroit and New Orleans, but the facts prevent any real great improvement. Detroit may lose population at a lower rate than the past 30 years, but it will still lose. New Orleans will gain population, but won't get back to the pre-Katrina levels for another decade or more.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 PM

95 posts, read 282,011 times
I can see Chicago, New Orleans, and especially Pittsburgh to have population gains.

If the auto industry continues to do well, I think Detroit will rebound also. If Romney becomes elected, I think Detroit won't. After all, he voted against the auto industry bailout for his own hometown!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
Chicago already had a decade where it gained since the 1950 census when itS population peaked (the 1990s), so there's no reason why it can't again, especially if and when the government play their cards better, and of anf when the economy improves.

Pittsburgh has been getting good buzz lately and this decade might be the time when the good buzz spills into the population figures. New Orleans will also go up as more of the Katrina transplants make their way back...

I feel kinda sorry for Detroit and Buffalo though!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

When will people learn that Cincinnati is experiencing what is possibly America's greatest urban renaissance?

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Downtown Cincinnati on the Rise

I'd bet money the city's population will have grown by 2020

Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Chicago and New Orleans are experiencing GROWTH according to the latest estimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.