Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 AM

441 posts, read 882,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Welcome?
directed to the OP with 1 post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,490,283 times
Arkansas. The mountains there remind me of my old home in northern Appalachia.

Iowa is too flat.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Neither. Too conservative for my taste.
Spent a lot of time in both (22 years in Iowa). Iowa is NOWHERE near as conservative as Arkansas. Iowa is actually pretty progressive for no huge cities. It has a heritage of fairly tolerant Germans immigrants and a "live and let live" atmosphere for the most part.

Legalized interracial marriage over 100 years before federal government.

University of Iowa opened 157 years ago and granting men and women equal basis.

University of Iowa was first public institution to offer equal benefits to gay and lesbian couples.

In 1856 the Iowa Legislature passed an unprecedented act allowing Native Americans to remain in Iowa and gave them permission to purchase land.

The Iowa supreme court in 1868 desegregated schools 96 years before the federal government did in the 1960's.

As a result of desegregating schools, the University of Iowa was the first school to grant a law degree to a black man in 1879.

In 1869 the Iowa Supreme Court decided it is not consitutional to prohibit a woman from practicing law. As a result, the University of Iowa granted the first law degree to a woman in 1873.

In 1869 and 1870 one of the strongest suffrage movements was underway in Iowa, 50 years before it became the law of the USA.

In 1875 an Iowa City woman was the first to practice law before the US Federal Court.

In 1900 Carrie Catt was elected the first president of the National Women's Suffrage Movement.

In 1905 what was to become the NAACP was founded in Buxton, Iowa.

In 1911 John Lewis organized the AFL - what would become the largest labor federation in the world.

In 1915 the NAACP organized in Iowa.

In 1925 the National Bar Association was formed in Iowa. Today it is still the largest association of black lawyers and judges.

In 1934 the first permanent mosque in the United States was constructed in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Iowa was chosen for its unique history of religious freedom.

In 1949 the state Supreme Court ruled that it is unconstitutional for any business to not serve black people on equal standing of whites.

In 1976, Iowa repealed its sodomy laws, 25 years before the US Government.

In 1980 the Iowa Supreme Court ruled four years before the US standing that it is unconstitutional to modify the adoption or custodian of a child merely based on the race of the child or the parent.

In 1990 the Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law, which was authored by Iowa senetor Tom Harkin.

In 2007 the Iowa Supreme Court rules unaimously that it is unconstitutional to bar gays and lesbians from marrying. It's the 5th state and the first non-coastal state to do so.

It's a strange state to do so - but historically Iowa has been quite a bit ahead of the curve on social policy. The main reason is it has a very firm constitution as far as equality and personal freedoms.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,421,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Iowa is too flat.
Flat???
http://www.igsb.uiowa.edu/Browse/water/River.gif
http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slide...-henderson.jpg
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/iowa-sc...ic-byway-3.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3177/2...fe2f2253_z.jpg

I mean it's not Colorado, but it's also not Florida...

I don't know enough about Arkansas to make a fair call, but I have really enjoyed living in Iowa.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,064,143 times
Iowa. I handle harsh winters better than harsh summers. Not to mention, Iowa is a much better cultural match for me, and it puts me within a short drive of St. Louis, Kansas City, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee. Not to mention, Iowa is more politically balanced and richer overall.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM

309 posts, read 303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Iowa is too flat.

Iowa's terrain rolls gently throughout most of that state.

Pretty much everything south and east of Little Rock (including the south and east sides of that city) is flatter than a pancake with hardly, if any, natural elevation changes

Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM

6,900 posts, read 7,528,256 times
I lived in Arkansas (Ft. Smith area) for 6 years, and Iowa for 3 years. I prefer Iowa.

Arkansas is much more humid in the summer, although both get quite hot. Iowa gets nice and cold in the winter, and in Arkansas a snow of 2" put everything to a standstill.

The Baptists of Arkansas make life miserable for those who don't share their beliefs. Iowa has much more religious diversity.

I did hear people use the N word in Arkansas, but never (so far) in Iowa.

I do miss the southern courtesies most Arkansas children are taught. I miss being called "ma'am". But yesterday a little boy held a door open for me at a local Iowa store, so there's some of that here, too.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Iowa. I handle harsh winters better than harsh summers. Not to mention, Iowa is a much better cultural match for me, and it puts me within a short drive of St. Louis, Kansas City, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee. Not to mention, Iowa is more politically balanced and richer overall.
Iowa's cities are fairly well off and the people have a high standard of living, but I had to laugh a little when I heard that Des Moines was named the richest metro in the country. Oh people and their lists.....

If you take the average income of a metro and adjust it for cost of living - Des Moines comes out on top by a fair amount, and actually the other Iowa cities clean up as well. It's really not that crack pot of a list - cost of living accounts for a lot when looking at income levels.

10 Cities With the Highest and Lowest Real Incomes - US News and World Report

Des Moines seems to always be floating around all the lists coming out these days:

Quote:
Greater Des Moines Ranks #1 Best City for Young Professionals - Forbes, July 2011

Des Moines ranks #2 Best Place for Business and Careers. - Forbes, June 2011

Des Moines is the #1 richest metro in the nation. - US News & World Report, June 2011

Des Moines is the #1 city in the US for home renters. - Time Magazine, June 2011

Iowa ranks #9 for best state for business. - CNBC, June 2011

Des Moines is the #4 city in the nation for doing business. - MarketWatch

Des Moines ranks in the top 10 "Best Cities for the Next Decade." - Kiplinger

Des Moines ranks #5 for best cities for families. Based on great schools, affordable homes, low crime rates, jobs, and parkland. - Parenting Magazine, June 2011

Des Moines ranks #1 as the "Best Place for Business and Careers." – Forbes 2010

Des Moines is one of the 20 strongest-performing metro areas. - Brookings

Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 PM

and yet another is released yesterday:

Forbes ranks Des Moines second on list of best cities for jobs | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,490,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Flat???
http://www.igsb.uiowa.edu/Browse/water/River.gif
http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slide...-henderson.jpg
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/iowa-sc...ic-byway-3.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3177/2...fe2f2253_z.jpg

I mean it's not Colorado, but it's also not Florida...

I don't know enough about Arkansas to make a fair call, but I have really enjoyed living in Iowa.
Beautiful areas for sure. But still not quite the Ozarks or Appalachians. Though it does remind me of the edges of the Allegheny plateau in NY and Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.