Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:33 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times

Advertisements

Could New York be a competitor as well? I mean it does have a lot of decent-sized cities outside of NYC. There's Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, and Rochester. All of these cities are decent-sized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 07:51 PM

86 posts, read 499,564 times
LA and SF are two of the best cities cities in this country plus two of the largest metro areas so i'd vote for Cali

Texas has a Houston which is huge, and Dallas which is a really big metro area as well as Austin and San Antonio.

NY has NYC which goes a far way but its only one major city

Next probably Florida with Miami, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Jacksonville

Old 09-08-2007, 07:56 PM

832 posts, read 3,852,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This isn't a very scientific method, but California has seven cities with major pro sports teams bearing their names: Sacramento, Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Diego. That has to say something for the size/significance of each.
Fresno is actually larger than both Sacramento and Oakland. However, none of them are really 'big' cities as they have populations of less than 500,000

Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,795,840 times
Here are my states in descending order (as this is a good question):

1. California (LA, SF, Sacramento, San Jose, Long Beach, San Diego, Bakersfield)
2. Texas (Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, Ft. Worth, Arlington, McAllen
3. Ohio (Cleveland, Columbus, Toldeo, Cincinatti, Jonestown, Achron)
4. Arizona (Phoenix, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Tempe, Tucson, Mesa)
5. North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Asheville, others that I know are huge but cannot name)

Old 09-08-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
naples, FL has only a population of 21,000+. definitely not a major city. and it's not tampa bay, it's just tampa. tampa bay is the metro region.

portsmouth, OH is also only around 21,000. what about lima (40,000+ instead)? or even mansfield (50,000+, with a noticeable skyline too). just not portsmouth.

to answer the question though, i've always thought ohio as the #1, especially based on size ratio. but it's probably technically california or texas.

despite being small, and these cities being in the way of only 60,000-150,000 each, connecticut has a wide array of small cities. there's hartford, bridgeport, new haven, meriden, stamford, waterbury, norwalk, danbury, new london, etc.

A metro region to me is the modern definition of a city. I forgot its Tampa though, why on earth do they say "Tampa Bay Devil Rays, and Tampa Bay Lightning?" Why not just Tampa? May as well start doing San Francisco Bay now, and we could call Oakland "East Bay"

Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
Fresno is actually larger than both Sacramento and Oakland. However, none of them are really 'big' cities as they have populations of less than 500,000
Fresno...I completely forgot about that. How big is Barstow? I would imagine it has to have some sizable population given that I-40 (which parallels Route 66 all the way from Oklahoma City to Barstow) terminates there at I-15, yet another major north-south transcontinental interstate.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBranch View Post
I didn't mean to exclude it at all. I think Long Beach is also bigger than both, so it should also be included.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Here are my states in descending order (as this is a good question):

1. California (LA, SF, Sacramento, San Jose, Long Beach, San Diego, Bakersfield)
2. Texas (Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, Ft. Worth, Arlington, McAllen
3. Ohio (Cleveland, Columbus, Toldeo, Cincinatti, Jonestown, Achron)
4. Arizona (Phoenix, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Tempe, Tucson, Mesa)
5. North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Asheville, others that I know are huge but cannot name)
North Carolina? Arizona??

are you kidding me?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
When will this end??? City populations are useless

Fresno is not bigger than Sacramento. Long Beach is part of LA. Virginia Beach is part of Norfolk. Political boundaries mean absolutely nothing other than a tax base.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
When will this end??? City populations are useless
Preach it brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.