Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,864,124 times

Advertisements

San Diego.

I already live near Los Angeles, so Los Angeles is the next choice, especially in or near the Long Beach area, which is where I currently live and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Why would anyone WANT to live in Canada? The terrible health care system alone would turn me off not to mention the cold weather! There are thousands of Canadians that come to Phoenix every winter and I've heard enough horror stories that have put me off from even visiting!
The Canadians that trek to Phoenix , must be desperate....... I tried it once , and , other than Tallisen West, you couldn't pay me to live there ! The heat, bugs, dust , traffic , lack of freeways ,crime ,etc., why would anyone want to go ? New Mexico, next door , now , thats another matter, not bad , at lest in the northern parts........... Talk about cold, Vancouver has a mild climate , very little snow , if any.never too hot, and the friends I have there , say the medical care is top notch. The mountains are close, the Pacific ocean ,Victoria across the bay. So much , and so close, give it a try before you trash it.......... Now , there are a lot of Liberal thinkers up there......... if that is a problem.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 AM

30 posts, read 135,056 times
If money were no object, and it would have to be with the areas listed below, I'd pick

NYC - CPW, Central Park West, probably in the Dakota - it's hard to think of a better address in the City than that (or the US for that matter)

SF - Marina district

LA - alot of great places (it's soo big) - Palos Verdes (for the views), Westwood (for the location), to name two

Seattle - something on a lake, either in town or on Mercer Island or Medina

not sure I'd pick anything in another city

Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Canadians that trek to Phoenix , must be desperate....... I tried it once , and , other than Tallisen West, you couldn't pay me to live there ! The heat, bugs, dust , traffic , lack of freeways ,crime ,etc., why would anyone want to go ? New Mexico, next door , now , thats another matter, not bad , at lest in the northern parts........... Talk about cold, Vancouver has a mild climate , very little snow , if any.never too hot, and the friends I have there , say the medical care is top notch. The mountains are close, the Pacific ocean ,Victoria across the bay. So much , and so close, give it a try before you trash it.......... Now , there are a lot of Liberal thinkers up there......... if that is a problem.
You make a good point. BC has a wonderfully mild climate, unlike AZ, which is about as extreme as you can get. All the people who go to Phoenix from Canada are snowbirds, and quickly retreat back north when April hits. IMHO all major Canadian cities are better than Phoenix (maybe minus Edmonton), but thats just my opinion. Nowhere in the world is perfect, so when these Canadians go to PHX and complain, there are a million Phoenicians who can also complain to the Canadians about Phoenix. Theyre just there for the mild winter, then its back home to Canada. THose Canadians who move to Phoenix permanently end up usually complaining about the heat, etc. I see the current trend is to head to Albuquerque where the climate is much nicer/forgiving.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You make a good point. BC has a wonderfully mild climate, unlike AZ, which is about as extreme as you can get. All the people who go to Phoenix from Canada are snowbirds, and quickly retreat back north when April hits. IMHO all major Canadian cities are better than Phoenix (maybe minus Edmonton), but thats just my opinion. Nowhere in the world is perfect, so when these Canadians go to PHX and complain, there are a million Phoenicians who can also complain to the Canadians about Phoenix. Theyre just there for the mild winter, then its back home to Canada. THose Canadians who move to Phoenix permanently end up usually complaining about the heat, etc. I see the current trend is to head to Albuquerque where the climate is much nicer/forgiving.
Edmonton was the only place I ever had a problem in Canada. Someone broke into my truck by smashing the drivers window, stole cell, cb, small stuff, ( left the dig.camera ?). That was at the Mall of America, and , I hear crime is a
problem there.
The Hotel was sorry, cleaned most all the glass up, and offered a free nite.( I was not parked on hotel grounds), was a ***** driving to Minot in the rain , but , when I ran out of diesel fuel in SK, on sunday , a Mountie came along with 5 gal. of fuel, no charge !.....In general , its the people that would encourage a move north , more than anything else......

Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
To be honest, Id love to live in Quebec City, Montreal or Toronto. Quebec City is a mini-Paris, truly a great place to visit. Vancouver was pretty cool, but needed some work and its a bit too cloudy for my tastes. Toronto looks frickin awesome, Ive been wanting to visit for a long time, Ive read alot about it, looks amazing.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
To be honest, Id love to live in Quebec City, Montreal or Toronto. Quebec City is a mini-Paris, truly a great place to visit. Vancouver was pretty cool, but needed some work and its a bit too cloudy for my tastes. Toronto looks frickin awesome, Ive been wanting to visit for a long time, Ive read alot about it, looks amazing.
Have been to em all , many times. have friends in most Canadian cities as well.
Outside of the west coast , I would pick Toronto. Awesome place. So much to do, clean , safe ,easy to get around....Public transportation is very good in the north. Montreal tops the list , with the underground hi-speed rail.
Vancouver is a big city , and , has , like elsewhere , its problems. living in the suburbs is where its at. There are some wonderful beach side villages , minutes from the city. When you get tired of the gloom in winter, its only an hour ride to Whistler, the slopes, sun, and the parties !........... Gibsons is an example of a real nice place to live , just north of Vancouver ( ferry ride ). Victoria is a groomed garden spot as well. (ferry ride again), home of BC government .High-Tea at the Famous hotel is an experience not to be forgotten.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Why would anyone WANT to live in Canada? The terrible health care system alone would turn me off not to mention the cold weather! There are thousands of Canadians that come to Phoenix every winter and I've heard enough horror stories that have put me off from even visiting!
Why would anyone want to live in Phoenix? I'd rather go to Los Angeles with its more reasonable weather. I can't even get past Palm Springs on the 10 with the excessive heat that is worse than Vegas. Listening to Arizona Public Radio while driving to L.A. on IH-40, the temperatures stated were too high to be habitable. I'm afraid my tires would pop on the black asphalt.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 PM

234 posts, read 1,157,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
That point might have made sense if I was comparing Minneapolis to LA. But I'm not. I'm comparing San Diego to LA. So you're point doesn't make sense.

i can see san diego but minnwho? too many people here are bias thats like me comparing alaska to hong kong. lol oh by the way kevin garnet owns a home in Los angeles too :P

Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 AM

234 posts, read 1,157,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Again,.......... what about Canada ? Vancouver- Toronto , both better than any of the US cities. There are others also. Canada is booming ! US citizens can move there if you can show 750,000 liquid assets min., or , have a special talent.

please post in the non american board. Canada can compete against mexico city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.