Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,559 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are going on vacation this summer but we can't agree on were to go. I would love to go to Cabo San Lucas or Cozumel but she wants to stay in the US and would prefer a city were as I want a beach.

I've looked into a few places like Destin, San Diego and the Keys but I honestly don't know much and cant judge well because since I live in Texas all I really have to go on is Galveston.

Can someone help me out? I know there are probably places I haven't thought of and not so known places that wouldn't be as crowded as others. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 03:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
San Diego is probably the best big city that has 70+ miles of beaches close by- the city is clean, safe and fun, with a great variety of beaches; you can pick from urban scene (Mission Beach) to quiet neighborhood/surfing (Moonlight, Bird Rock, Marine St.) etc...- but our water is cold to cool- late Sep to early Oct the best time to come.

Florida is going to have better beaches overall, and much warmer water. Miami Beach or the Keys are fun, vacation feeling areas for a couple of days- Miami not so much. Other Florida cities (and the whole state) leave much to be desired in my mind but that's a personal opinion- but I will give them the edge on great beaches. Plenty of smaller cities all over the state that might fit your bill.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:46 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Miami's South Beach would be perfect. It close to the city and has all the amemities you want from a beachtown, with the exception of good surfing. You would be just a 3hr drive from the Keys. The only true beach paradise in the lower 48s.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
San Diego is probably the best big city that has 70+ miles of beaches close by- the city is clean, safe and fun, with a great variety of beaches; you can pick from urban scene (Mission Beach) to quiet neighborhood/surfing (Moonlight, Bird Rock, Marine St.) etc...- but our water is cold to cool- late Sep to early Oct the best time to come.

Florida is going to have better beaches overall, and much warmer water. Miami Beach or the Keys are fun, vacation feeling areas for a couple of days- Miami not so much. Other Florida cities (and the whole state) leave much to be desired in my mind but that's a personal opinion- but I will give them the edge on great beaches. Plenty of smaller cities all over the state that might fit your bill.
This person probably wants to swim in the ocean. The Pacific Ocean is too cold for swimming even in the summer. California leave much to be desired, like warm water.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Big city with beaches --

Chicago: Clean beaches on L Michigan are right downtown. Day at the beach, night at the clubs.
LA : Santa Monica, Venice. Same as above, except you'll probably need a car.
NYC : Jones Beach an easy 1 hour train ride from Midtown. But it IS New York. Whoo hoo!

Miami might also be on your list though I've never stayed there and imagine it might be unbearably hot in the summer.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM

398 posts, read 751,097 times
LOL @ recommending Chicago and NYC when poster is considering Cabo, Cozumel, San Diego and Destin... Nuts I tell you. the beach quality is going to be absolutely drastic ...

Also Miami is NOT that hot in the summer, very good chance Chicago or NYC would be hotter... Miami is hotter in winter/spring/fall though, but doesn't get those high 90s and sometimes in 100s that the rest of the country gets. Check a weather map out in the summer if you don't believe me.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM

398 posts, read 751,097 times
To OP I would do the South Florida metro or the TB area/Keys if you want something more chilled out. Destin is nice, but wouldn't call it a city.

Honestly I would go with South Beach or Fort Lauderdale...or you could just rent a car and do FLL, South Beach, Key Largo, Key West...then catch a pond skipper for a few days to the Bahamas (much safer than Mexico) even better.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
This person probably wants to swim in the ocean. The Pacific Ocean is too cold for swimming even in the summer. California leave much to be desired, like warm water.
Although too cool for some used to bathtub temperatures of S. Florida and the tropics- 70˚+/- is delightful to me, refreshing on a hot day and easy to swim in, we've got that from June through Sept. Obviously 100,000s of others in the water agree. I rough water swim in the ocean in nothing but jammers down to about 64˚ water temp and while that's just plain cold to get into, I can handle it just fine after I've warmed up.

How can you cool off and feel refreshed with 90% humidity, 95˚ air temp and 85˚ water temp? Blechhh! Sounds bloody awful and constantly uncomfortable (and is, I've experienced it) to some- covered with sweat from morning to evening even while on a beach isn't my idea of a good time.

Winter it's a different story- very nice.

Last edited by T. Damon; 03-27-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM

I've been to Destin (and Orlando) and those beaches were beautiful granted I don't have much experience (Galveston girl here lol) She had mentioned San Diego and NY so maybe i'll get the beach outta that. Thanks so much for the help! If ya'll can think of any other places let me know and i'll pass them along.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
To OP I would do the South Florida metro or the TB area/Keys if you want something more chilled out. Destin is nice, but wouldn't call it a city.

Honestly I would go with South Beach or Fort Lauderdale...or you could just rent a car and do FLL, South Beach, Key Largo, Key West...then catch a pond skipper for a few days to the Bahamas (much safer than Mexico) even better.
She actually mentioned the Bahamas! So We don't actually have to fly to the Bahamas, we could just go to Key west and take a boat? Awesome thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.