Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Maybe I'm just old but I don't recall all of this "guido" you speak of. Unless it's tourist season and they come from downstate.

In fact a lot of people in upstate NY claim that Rochester and Buffalo both have a Midwestern vibe to them as compared to other northeastern cities. Great lake shore, flat lands surrounding them, lots of farm on said surrounding land, etc.

I also don't remember Rochester being so heavily Italian. I remember the Puerto Ricans and blacks, but not the Italian side.
Rochester has one of the larger Italian populations both in raw numbers and percentage wise in the country. I find it odd that you did not notice this. It is one of the first things people from the south and midwest mention about the people around here....and the lands surround the area aren't flat, we are close to several ski resorts, the eastern suburbs are very hilly in places...
I also wouldn't call farm land surrounding the area to be a midwestern thing. Farmland is everywhere in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Rochester has one of the larger Italian populations both in raw numbers and percentage wise in the country. I find it odd that you did not notice this. It is one of the first things people from the south and midwest mention about the people around here....and the lands surround the area aren't flat, we are close to several ski resorts, the eastern suburbs are very hilly in places...
I also wouldn't call farm land surrounding the area to be a midwestern thing. Farmland is everywhere in the country.
The type of crops grown is a determinant, and farmland is more extensive in the 12 Midwest states than anywhere else in the country...it's called the Breadbasket for a reason. And as far as large italian populations, many Midwestern cities have that...among them Chicago, Cleveland, and St. Louis.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I get that Charleston is much different than the northern cities mentioned, but does not make those northern cities similar to eachother.
They are more similar to each other than either are to Charleston. Enough said.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
They are more similar to each other than either are to Charleston. Enough said.
well yea... but that's not saying much. Charleston is completely different.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
The type of crops grown is a determinant, and farmland is more extensive in the 12 Midwest states than anywhere else in the country...it's called the Breadbasket for a reason. And as far as large italian populations, many Midwestern cities have that...among them Chicago, Cleveland, and St. Louis.
Those three cities along with places like Youngstown are exceptions to the rules and gives them something in common with the northeast with the italian populations. But if you look at the percentage as a whole, they don't compare to the northeastern cities mentioned. If you look at Cleveland, it roughly has the same number of Italian American population as Rochester... But Rochester has less than half the population of the Cleveland metro area.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Sorry dude, I am from the southern tier in the Appalachian foothills. The areas around Rochester are FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT. There is some minor roll, some scattered tiny ridges, but for the most part it is flat. In my opinion it looks like Michigan.

Get up on the Allegheny plateau or out into the Mohawk valley and then we start talking real hills and drastic roll.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM

19 posts, read 28,771 times
i would say like Illinois , Wisconsin , Minneasota ,Ohio , indiana , Michigan

Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Sorry dude, I am from the southern tier in the Appalachian foothills. The areas around Rochester are FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT. There is some minor roll, some scattered tiny ridges, but for the most part it is flat. In my opinion it looks like Michigan.

Get up on the Allegheny plateau or out into the Mohawk valley and then we start talking real hills and drastic roll.
The west side yes... But the east side. No way. How much time have you spent here? Because it sounds like you are not very familiar with the area, no offense. We have three ski resorts in the metro area. Can't be that flat.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
The west side yes... But the east side. No way. How much time have you spent here? Because it sounds like you are not very familiar with the area, no offense. We have three ski resorts in the metro area. Can't be that flat.
I'm pretty familiar with he Henrietta area and the surrounding country side. I'm also a topographical map nerd.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emms11 View Post
i would say like Illinois , Wisconsin , Minneasota ,Ohio , indiana , Michigan
Minnesota And you're correct if we are sticking strictly to the Northwest Ordinance. But Iowa and Missouri have been considered Midwestern for over a century...same with the rest of the Great Plains states...the Census Bureau's definition of the Midwest is pretty accurate for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.