Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times

Advertisements

Are there still any noticeable cultural differences between Plains Midwesterners (ND, SD, NE, IA, KS, MO) and the Rocky Mountain West (eastern OR, WA, ID, WY, MT, CO, UT, northern AZ, NM)?

I assume the city-folk in say Omaha and Denver would be broadly similar? Pretty 'All-American' with no strong regional characteristics. Would you say both are equally conservative but Midwesterners more religious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:20 AM

6,893 posts, read 7,521,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you say both are equally conservative but Midwesterners more religious?
You know, I actually think that might be a fair stereotype. Bearing in mind that the statement is broad, rather than specific.

I've worked with ranchers in TX and UT and farmers in IL and IA. Both are pretty fatalistic now - not sure their lifestyle will still be around for their children.

Their children are FAR better adjusted and behaved humans than city children. This is probably because beginning at a very young age they have responsibilities within the family economy.

As a liberal I've come to understand why these folks are conservative - they want their children to be able to continue to have the same lifestyle their grandparents had. I doubt if that is possible.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You know, I actually think that might be a fair stereotype. Bearing in mind that the statement is broad, rather than specific.

I've worked with ranchers in TX and UT and farmers in IL and IA. Both are pretty fatalistic now - not sure their lifestyle will still be around for their children.

Their children are FAR better adjusted and behaved humans than city children. This is probably because beginning at a very young age they have responsibilities within the family economy.

As a liberal I've come to understand why these folks are conservative - they want their children to be able to continue to have the same lifestyle their grandparents had. I doubt if that is possible.
Good post, and I agree for the most part. Farmers' kids tend to be quite hardworking and polite..

if I had to guess based upon experiences, I would say that the ranchers are a little more conservative than the farmers, perhaps because they're even more isolated out in the western Great Plains than in Illinois or Iowa..

Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,586,937 times
Ranchers are very independent minded people. They get little or nothing from the government.
By contrast,many farmers,especially those who produce commodities,often collect farm subsidies.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM

1,328 posts, read 3,164,062 times
You know if there is some kind of global disaster, we will still need farmers and ranchers =D

Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Ranchers are very independent minded people. They get little or nothing from the government.
By contrast,many farmers,especially those who produce commodities,often collect farm subsidies.
Farming is more labor-intensive, without a doubt.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 AM

5,508 posts, read 8,689,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post

Wrong. Many ranchers receive grazing rights on federal lands out in the west, without which, they would be significantly up a creek.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 AM

350 posts, read 737,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
A lot of farmers and ranchers are doing pretty well out here. The recent commodity prices are helping things for sure.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,032,881 times
I think the major difference is that, ranchers, living in a more isolated area, have even more rugged individualism. The distances to services, etc. means that they don't depend on the community quite as much.

Farmers however depend on a lot more inputs, they depend a lot more on the communities, nearby small town, etc. (Ranchers still do, but isolation/distance) farmers depend much more on their mechanics, parts suppliers for tractors, fertilizers, pesticides, etc.

Overall, farming involves a lot more hardware, services, and live and work on smaller plots of land, that are closer to small towns. Whereas ranchers while being part of a community are much more "on the frontier"

Basically: Farmers are part of a community because they very much have to be, and they are just simply geographically closer. Ranchers, while social, are used to, and may even prefer the wide openness, they need fewer services, etc. and they are too far of a drive anyways.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
In New Mexico, the ranching areas are largely influenced by Texan and Spanish cultures, while the small amount of arable in the state is more Midwestern (German/Anglo American), especially in the southern part of the state while northern New Mexico's smaller mountain and valley farms are more culturally Spanish*.

*by Spanish, I mean more in the 'roots' culture sense since the Spanish settlers have been isolated from developments in Spanish culture for hundreds of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.