Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

It was in the 20s with snow showers today and I couldn't be happier. Winter is finally here. Would love some good snowpack though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It was in the 20s with snow showers today and I couldn't be happier. Winter is finally here. Would love some good snowpack though.
Yeah we didn't get nearly enough snow - it didn't even totally cover the grass. Waiting for at least a six-inch storm.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:00 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yeah we didn't get nearly enough snow - it didn't even totally cover the grass. Waiting for at least a six-inch storm.
Snow is what makes winter fun. It sucks when there's dry, cold winters with no notable accumulation. Much rather have everything white and fluffy than just brown and dead.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Snow is what makes winter fun. It sucks when there's dry, cold winters with no notable accumulation. Much rather have everything white and fluffy than just brown and dead.
Yup - fun and pretty. I genuinely like snow. I still get a bit excited when there's a storm coming. I don't even mind the cold. It's invigorating and makes you want to get cozy and warm inside on those winter nights with early sunsets - and I don't mind relaxing one bit.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:10 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Whoah, what kinds of drugs are you on?

Have you even been to Houston?
LMAO
Yes I have. There are plenty of people, including myself, who appreciate the nice subtropical climate of the city, and the rest of the Coastal South, not wasting time being hung up over insignificant factors like insects, and humidity. Frequent summer thunderstorms, lush flora(for shade), and sea breezes all contribute to the decent level of comfort in Houston and the Coastal South, even with the "heat," humidity, and insects.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 AM

240 posts, read 253,727 times
Anyplace where highs generally stay below freezing throughout the winter months is too cold for me. So, most of Alaska, the upper Midwest, the upper Northeast, and most of Canada. That isn't to say that I'm totally opposed to living in such a place, but a frigid winter would be a red flag for me to seriously research that area to decide if I'm willing to put up with the cold.

Another criterion is "how many nights fall below freezing"? Some places, such as parts of central and eastern Oregon, have sub-freezing nights throughout much of the year, sometimes even in summer, due to the low humidity, so these places might be too cold even if the daytime highs aren't bad.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:31 AM

707 posts, read 749,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
Anyplace where highs generally stay below freezing throughout the winter months is too cold for me. So, most of Alaska, the upper Midwest, the upper Northeast, and most of Canada. That isn't to say that I'm totally opposed to living in such a place, but a frigid winter would be a red flag for me to seriously research that area to decide if I'm willing to put up with the cold.

Another criterion is "how many nights fall below freezing"? Some places, such as parts of central and eastern Oregon, have sub-freezing nights throughout much of the year, sometimes even in summer, due to the low humidity, so these places might be too cold even if the daytime highs aren't bad.
Indeed even in the SW there is freezing winters, sub-arctic climates, and snow pack.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:11 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
Anything above the Mason-Dixon line. At least from my pt of view north of it.

There are plenty of days it's colder than many places in Alaska. As one of the first posters pointed out, some in Alaska would not want a Buffalo ( or Rochester or Syracuse or Binghamton NY) winter cause it's actually colder here than there in Alaska.

But I'd love to move down to Maryland or below.
Even if this is an old post.
*Sigh*

Last edited by galaxyhi; 07-31-2017 at 02:19 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 02:16 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Really.

How about 35" in less than 18 hours?

That was our last snow storm here.

Left us in state of emergency, and 3 days housebound, until they cleared the roads. National Guard carried doctors and nurses to work in real military hummers.

This last winter we got 8+ feet of snow. No I'm looking forward to a mild snow winter.

Thank you very much.
Even if this IS an old post.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Anything above the Mason-Dixon line. At least from my pt of view north of it.

There are plenty of days it's colder than many places in Alaska. As one of the first posters pointed out, some in Alaska would not want a Buffalo ( or Rochester or Syracuse or Binghamton NY) winter cause it's actually colder here than there in Alaska.

But I'd love to move down to Maryland or below.
Even if this is an old post.
*Sigh*
It is? In order to snow, it can't be too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.