Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times

Advertisements

I guess northern Alaska would be too cold, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 AM

398 posts, read 751,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
For me anything under 50F for a daytime high is probably too cold.
I'm the same way... but I'd actually bump it up to 60f

It's all subjective.
This basically rules out anywhere except Hawaii, California, Florida, Texas, AZ, and Louisiana.
But hey, that is a lot to choose from, 3 of the 4 most populated states. I'd probably only consider living in FL, HI, TX, LA or CA though b/c they are close to the ocean.
And yes, I have tried living in colder climates, I hated it. I don't even like the winters in FL or CA, I'd rather just skip it.
I grew up somewhere tropical though, so... you know... it's all individual thing.
CA is perfect. FL is second to perfect, I'd rather deal with the humidity than the cold.
I could basically map it out where I would live that is too cold and where I would live, give or take anywhere north of I-10 or east of I-5 ending in Sacramento. So Austin/San Antonio Yes. Dallas/Atlanta, no.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-10-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It must be pretty damn cold, because a LOT of people live in Chicago, NYC, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Detroit, Toronto, and not to mention, Moscow, Harbin and Beijing China, and so on and so forth. Must be NORTH of there to be "universally too cold".
NYC actually isn't nearly as cold and snowy as the other places you mentioned. Yes it can snow a lot there, but average temperatures in January are considerable higher than the rest of those places (won't speak for Harbin or Beijing, because I don't know about those...can positively attest that Moscow, Toronto, Detroit, and Chicago are all generally much colder and snowier than New York.)

Old 03-10-2012, 02:27 PM

50 posts, read 142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Come to Las Vegas sometime in January, when the temp falls to the mid-to-high 20's at night, and pack a, not unusual, 40-50mph wind behind it and it will give Minnesota a run for its money!

I lived in Minnesota for 43 years, and how many times have I said it, in winter here: Oh crap! I'm back in Minnesota!

It's the dry air which contributes to the discomfort and pain!
I used to live in Duluth, MN and the winters were so much more cold than pretty much anywhere in the continental us. The effects from Lake Superior are brutal and harsh. I think the lowest recorded temperature in MN (by Tower around 60 miles north) was -71. Yikes

Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
Northern Alaska, I would say. Anywhere of Fairbanks, AK south I could deal with coldwise.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:26 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This map suggest places like Traverse city, or Saginaw in Michigan are similar in climate to southern Indiana and Ohio. Very Very misleading, anything from Chicago north is pretty extreme in MOST winters (not this one though).
It's because of Lake Michigan. The big lake keeps the nighttime lows during January from hitting the extreme, extreme lows that are seen in Wisconsin and Minnesota. The air warms up as it comes over the lake, and it also creates cloud cover when other places in the midwest have clear skies.

Traverse City IS colder than southern Indiana and Ohio, and gets WAY more snowfall. But it doesn't get temperature extremes. It might be 10 degrees above zero all day, but only drop to 5 degrees at night, instead of -40.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
It's because of Lake Michigan. The big lake keeps the nighttime lows during January from hitting the extreme, extreme lows that are seen in Wisconsin and Minnesota. The air warms up as it comes over the lake, and it also creates cloud cover when other places in the midwest have clear skies.

Traverse City IS colder than southern Indiana and Ohio, and gets WAY more snowfall. But it doesn't get temperature extremes. It might be 10 degrees above zero all day, but only drop to 5 degrees at night, instead of -40.
The entire eastern border of Wisconsin is Lake Michigan. Milwaukee lows average higher than the Traverse City lows. Inland, away from Lake Michigan, the lows would average lower. Don't paint with such a broad brush - extreme lows in Wisconsin do not cover the entire state.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
When I was living in northern VA, I would've said anything below 30 is too cold.

Now that I've been in Tampa for over a year I say that anything below 50 is too cold.

I've become a winter wimp.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:34 PM

101 posts, read 296,431 times
I live in Putnam county New York.
I want a summer home in Alaska.
It is too hot here in the summer.

I think for me only Northern & Central Alaska is too cold.

I walk around in 30 degree weather in short sleeves without a jacket LOL

Old 06-17-2012, 04:07 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Anywhere North of I-40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.