Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

So I was on my way back from helping at a youth group and I had been recently clipped by a truck on my car before youth group and the truck driver sped away.

On my way back a highway patrolmen pulled me over, but the speed he got on the speedometer was not recorded and I went and I checked that. He had me on 65.

He claimed I went 86. I was very polite with the officer and him insisting I cant look at the speedometer I felt was wrong and he eventually let me look. Secondly, I prayed and wanted to share a bible verse with the officer which in my faith is to consult before the Lord with me and the other person. The officer insulted my faith and I took offense to that.

I waited to sign the ticket because he insulted my faith.

Secondly, my speedometer in the car might have been off since I might have been gaining speed I didn't know from the damage the truck gave my car.

I also told the officer if he can't prove on his speedometer that I went a certain speed, that I was not guilty.

Anyways, I am going to court.

How should I proceed?

Also there was one car in front of me and one car behind me. So he could have had one of their speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Fight this in court. Just explain to the judge the same way you did here and I'm sure things will go your way. You may consider mentioning to the judge about how it might feel for a certain un-named judiciary official to be smitten with a jaw-bone of an ass to emphasize your argument.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Fight this in court. Just explain to the judge the same way you did here and I'm sure things will go your way. You may consider mentioning to the judge about how it might feel for a certain un-named judiciary official to be smitten with a jaw-bone of an ass to emphasize your argument.
Consider mentioning what? Sorry.

Thank you for the encouragement that things in court might go my way.

God bless.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Here is what I am going to say:

I plead guilty with an explaination:

Your honor the night I got a ticket I had just gotten into a hit and run and had to help out at Oak Park youth group. I am a responsible driver, but that night I wasn’t thinking straight because I was shaken up from the hit and I the last time I saw my speed I think it was in the 70s a couple minutes before I was pulled over. I recently got accepted to Cal Poly SLO and currently a Cuesta College student and this and paying for the hit and run is causing a financial burden. I can pay for the ticket, but I can not afford for my insurance to go up and that could cause a hardship for me while attending college. Court officer I would like to plead out of the ticket, because I realize you may have been speeding, and would just like to pay the fine. Your honor in exchange for accepting responsibility and pleading I ask for traffic school, Probation Before Judgement, or remove or adjudicate this point from my driving record.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Here is what I am going to say:

I plead guilty with an explaination:

Your honor the night I got a ticket I had just gotten into a hit and run and had to help out at Oak Park youth group. I am a responsible driver, but that night I wasn’t thinking straight because I was shaken up from the hit and I the last time I saw my speed I think it was in the 70s a couple minutes before I was pulled over. I recently got accepted to Cal Poly SLO and currently a Cuesta College student and this and paying for the hit and run is causing a financial burden. I can pay for the ticket, but I can not afford for my insurance to go up and that could cause a hardship for me while attending college. Court officer I would like to plead out of the ticket, because I realize you may have been speeding, and would just like to pay the fine. Your honor in exchange for accepting responsibility and pleading I ask for traffic school, Probation Before Judgement, or remove or adjudicate this point from my driving record.
sounds good to me, consider bringing a bag of doughnuts in for the highway patrolman too.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Take your car to a repair shop that recalibrates speedometers. If you get a written statement from them that your speedometer became miscalibrated due to the accident, (or is miscalibrated for any other reason) it is very likely that the judge will throw the ticket out. As long as you don't make yourself sound like a religious nutcase in front of the judge. Perception is everything. There are times when keeping your mouth shut is prudent. Think your prayers, God will still hear them.

If this is your first moving violation and you have no points, you can take a drivers safety course online for about 25 bucks (which is the biggest piece of crap conjob ripoff collusion racket in the history of the world---it is the poster child of everything that can possibly go wrong in a free enterprise economy running amuck), and your insurance rates will not go up.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-14-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Take your car to a repair shop that recalibrates speedometers. If you get a written statement from them that your speedometer became miscalibrated due to the accident, (or is miscalibrated for any other reason) it is very likely that the judge will throw the ticket out. As long as you don't make yourself sound like a religious nutcase in front of the judge. Perception is everything. There are times when keeping your mouth shut is prudent. Think your prayers, God will still hear them.

If this is your first moving violation and you have no points, you can take a drivers safety course online for about 25 bucks (which is the biggest piece of crap conjob ripoff collusion racket in the history of the world---it is the poster child of everything that can possibly go wrong in a free enterprise economy running amuck), and your insurance rates will not go up.
I can ask the repair shop guys if my speedometer would have gotten miscaliberated from the flappiness of my bumber.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
In what way did he "insult your faith"? If he doesn't want to listen to that, he doesn't have to. You broke the law, now you have to do what HE says. He wanted you to keep quiet. So, keep quiet.

It's great that you have such a strong faith, but it's equally great that he has his own beliefs, and under no circumstances should he have to listen to your bible verse. You likely insulted him by forcing your prayer down his throat, and further becoming upset that he didn't want to hear it. Stop being ridiculous.

Tell the judge (or prosecutor) exactly what you said here. Personally, I don't buy your "my vehicle was clipped by a truck so something is wrong with the speedometer". You would know the difference between 65 and 85 without a speedometer. This, to me, sounds like your best excuse to get out of a ticket.

Unless you have proof, I'm guessing the judge will see right through your BS.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-15-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Does it help to delay the court date and plea no contest?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
No Contest is the same as a guilty plea, which in traffic court is the same as not showing up. Traffic court does not work on a basis of Guilt, but rather of Responsibility, which requires only a preponderance of evidence, not proof beyond reasonable doubt. It is not a criminal trial, and does carry the same constitutional safeguards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.