Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM

287 posts, read 498,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
DC is the South. The accents, culture, and history all are indicative of the South. Just because it is not as "southern" as Alabama does not mean it is not in the South.
What is Southern? What is your definition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 16,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It should end with Virginia and start with New York.
It just makes more sense to me to start at North Carolina because half the state is part of the mid-atlantic watershed.

MAIA Region| Mid-Atlantic Integrated Assessment (MAIA) | US EPA

Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,096 times
DC, Virginia, and Maryland are, or should be the very definition of mid-atlantic. Historically southern but in modern times closer in relation to the northeast. I live in VA and I don't think I've hit the true south until somewhere south of the James River. I had a friend that lived in Danville and it was like visiting another world to where I'm from, and I live in the Shenandoah Valley.

Maryland obviously is more northern being above DC and closer to NYC, but even VA, while maybe more southern, is influenced by NYC moreso than Atlanta. Probably because DC is right here and it is also heavily influenced by NYC as well, and DC is overwhelmingly influential on VA, not just NoVa.

And finally, I do get DC stations on my basic local cable lineup, and the local weathermen refer to the area as mid-atlantic. I also use to get Richmond stations and they too refer to that area as mid-atlantic. You just can't drive up i95 or i81 and expect to, poof, suddenly be in the north or the south. This area, VA, DC, MD, is a transition zone. Take it from a local who has lived here most of my life and travels all over the state and into PA and DC quite often. Don't take everything you see on TV or read on wikipedia literally. You have to experience it yourself to get an accurate feel for an area.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
DC, Virginia, and Maryland are, or should be the very definition of mid-atlantic.
and West Virginia......... NC qualifies at least from certain standpoints. Hell just yesterday or the day before on the news with the hurricane Earl reports they kept referring to NC as a Mid-Atlantic state...

Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Maryland obviously is more northern being above DC and closer to NYC, but even VA, while maybe more southern, is influenced by NYC moreso than Atlanta. Probably because DC is right here and it is also heavily influenced by NYC as well, and DC is overwhelmingly influential on VA, not just NoVa.
You know Philly is allot closer than NYC.....Sorry but this Virginian not in a billion years would even consider or has even come close to being under the influence of NYC.

But with that said the influence from DC couldn't reach me in a billion years.... I hate mambo sauce and would never run around saying or calling people "BAMAS" all day. So they aren't doing a very good job of influencing me and my friends down here in southern/southwestern VA.

No sir.....unless folks in DC like to hunt foxes, go muddin, or roping we have little to nothing in common.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:40 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumoverdrive443 View Post
You know Philly is allot closer than NYC.....Sorry but this Virginian not in a billion years would even consider or has even come close to being under the influence of NYC.

But with that said the influence from DC couldn't reach me in a billion years.... I hate mambo sauce and would never run around saying or calling people "BAMAS" all day. So they aren't doing a very good job of influencing me and my friends down here in southern/southwestern VA.

No sir.....unless folks in DC like to hunt foxes, go muddin, or roping we have little to nothing in common.
When I say thet DC or even NY hold more influence over VA than Atlanta, the unofficial capital/urban giant of the south, it's more in reference to the most populous part of the state sometimes referred to as "the urban crescent" of VA stretching from Hampton Roads to Richmond and then to NoVa. This group of 3 metros that border each other in VA have a combined metro population of over 5 million. Considering that this vast area is directly funneled into the northeast megalopolis via DC by way of i95 is why I say there is more influence. More people moving to and from the northeast, while Atlanta is just as far away and more remote from VA. At least the most populous parts of VA. Generally most areas along and above i64 do view DC as the local big city to go to for major sports, museums etc. Even Richmond and obviously Norfolk have government institutions directly tied to DC, thereby again falling under the influence of DC. And geographically this region is just closer.

I made the point earlier about DC's regional identity and how I feel it's preeminently a mid-atlantic city, including VA except for the area of VA that is considered southside, which includes places like Danville, Martinsville, and South Boston. Another exception would be southwest VA as it is geographically far removed from DC. So I agree that your part of VA is not influenced by DC and moreso NY. Having said that, there are people in central PA and upstate NY that enjoy the same kind of outdoor things that you do and don't fall under the influence of NYC or Philly either.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
When I say thet DC or even NY hold more influence over VA than Atlanta, the unofficial capital/urban giant of the south, it's more in reference to the most populous part of the state sometimes referred to as "the urban crescent" of VA stretching from Hampton Roads to Richmond and then to NoVa. This group of 3 metros that border each other in VA have a combined metro population of over 5 million. Considering that this vast area is directly funneled into the northeast megalopolis via DC by way of i95 is why I say there is more influence. More people moving to and from the northeast, while Atlanta is just as far away and more remote from VA. At least the most populous parts of VA. Generally most areas along and above i64 do view DC as the local big city to go to for major sports, museums etc. Even Richmond and obviously Norfolk have government institutions directly tied to DC, thereby again falling under the influence of DC. And geographically this region is just closer.

I made the point earlier about DC's regional identity and how I feel it's preeminently a mid-atlantic city, including VA except for the area of VA that is considered southside, which includes places like Danville, Martinsville, and South Boston. Another exception would be southwest VA as it is geographically far removed from DC. So I agree that your part of VA is not influenced by DC and moreso NY. Having said that, there are people in central PA and upstate NY that enjoy the same kind of outdoor things that you do and don't fall under the influence of NYC or Philly either.

I got yuh.... See what your saying in the first paragraph.

I know rural central PA or upstate NY enjoy the same redneck sports...Not metro DC or metro NYC though.

However.......Fox hunts are sort of unique in a way. (Aside from England or other European countries) Its been a long Virginia tradition since the 1600's. Virginia also has more recognized fox hunting clubs than any other state. With the American Foxhound as the official dog of the Commonwealth it only makes sense. Which brings me to my next point.....(crazy ranting)

whether VA is considered the south, mid-atlantic, northeast it doesn't matter to me really because I have always felt more attached to England/Scotland than anything else. That might sound stupid/crazy but whatever.

The dialect of the watermen in Tangier Island or elsewhere on the Eastern Shore of Virginia are directly linked to the Elizabethan era and the first settlers of Virginia.

Then you have the Tidewater accent which was "originally" a form of early modern English and was spoken in parts of England, southern Scotland, Ireland, Wales, ect.

In VA/WV Appalachia the majority of people are Scotch-Irish or were from the Anglo-Scottish border. It definitely sticks out in the dialect also, for the love of the "R".

The way I pronounce certain words seems to have more similarities with someone in Newfoundland than it does in PA, NY, CT, NC, ect. Just certain words though. lol Kind of ironic.......

Although we are part of the mid-atlantic region, the southern culture is not dead....not yet. If that were the case the northern most city in Virginia wouldn't still have the confederate flag on the city seal. And your not going to see that in NY, PA, MD.

And there is the British Union Jack

And ill stop now its time for me to

Last edited by maximumoverdrive443; 09-08-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 12:07 AM

331 posts, read 903,871 times
It's some bammas in this thread smh...

Old 09-19-2010, 08:28 AM

499 posts, read 668,144 times
Quote:
DC, Virginia, and Maryland are, or should be the very definition of mid-atlantic. Historically southern but in modern times closer in relation to the northeast. I live in VA and I don't think I've hit the true south until somewhere south of the James River. I had a friend that lived in Danville and it was like visiting another world to where I'm from, and I live in the Shenandoah Valley.

And finally, I do get DC stations on my basic local cable lineup, and the local weathermen refer to the area as mid-atlantic. I also use to get Richmond stations and they too refer to that area as mid-atlantic. You just can't drive up i95 or i81 and expect to, poof, suddenly be in the north or the south. This area, VA, DC, MD, is a transition zone. Take it from a local who has lived here most of my life and travels all over the state and into PA and DC quite often. Don't take everything you see on TV or read on wikipedia literally. You have to experience it yourself to get an accurate feel for an area.

There's no NYC influence in MD, D.C. or Va besides the NJ/NYC transplants thinking they run shi* but are grossly mistaken.

The liberal politicians may think they're in Cali or NY but the real people from here know better. The built environment of the D.C. area is far more southern than northern.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I don't care what part of the country you reside in. All black people are aware of grits. I used to eat them in Brooklyn every sunday for breakfast.
I love grits Maryland and DC are in the Mid-Atlantic but I think grits are still heavily consumed in this region. Heck, I think grits is pretty popular throughout much of Black America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.