Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
So is there a political reason why they sometimes include KY as the "Southeast" on those bookstore maps, but not Virginia when they are just about on the same latitude ?
I wouldn't think for political reasons. THe only reason I would imagine them including KEntucky but not Virginia is because KEntucky is slightly further south than Virginia. I don't see that happen very often. Nowadays, Kentucky and Virginia I notice are almost always included in the South. So the few times they are not are actually pretty much insignificant. 98% of the time they are included in the south. That's close enough to 100% for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
I've seen a map of the south or southeast that included Kentucky but excluded not only Virginia but North Carolina as well.
North Carolina was lumped into the Mid-Atlantic.

Ah, the Mid-Atlantic coast, where palmettos pop out of the ground naturally, snow only happens maybe once in 10 years, "shrimping" is big business, there are plenty of small alligators and trees like live oak and cypress trees grow thick beards of moss.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I've seen a map of the south or southeast that included Kentucky but excluded not only Virginia but North Carolina as well.

Ah, the Mid-Atlantic coast, where palmettos pop out of the ground naturally, snow only happens maybe once in 10 years, "shrimping" is big business, there are plenty of small alligators and trees like live oak and cypress trees grow thick beards of moss.
I don't understand why Virginia and North Carolina are dubbed the Mid-Atlantic. They are clearly Southern. D.C., Maryland, and Delaware are the Mid-Atlantic to me.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't understand why Virginia and North Carolina are dubbed the Mid-Atlantic. They are clearly Southern. D.C., Maryland, and Delaware are the Mid-Atlantic to me.
I think its the East Coast Factor. That would explain why KY is included in the Southeast maps, but sometimes VA is left out (when they are about the same in latitude)

VA is on the East Coast.

I've heard South Carolina called Mid-Atlantic. I guess maybe the North is moving South?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:21 PM

I've spent plenty of time there and trust me, there's no East Coast "feel" in the Carolinas, just the view while at the beach.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
I've spent plenty of time there and trust me, there's no East Coast "feel" in the Carolinas, just the view while at the beach, not shore.
Yes- I know. But they are on the east coast..
Thats what I'm stalking about Geographically...

Virginia is on the east coast. So thats why Kentucky gets included because its west of the east coast.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Yes- I know. But they are on the east coast..
Thats what I'm stalking about Geographically...

Virginia is on the east coast. So thats why Kentucky gets included because its west of the east coast.
So is Daytona Beach.

Makes a bit of sense. Kinda hard to lump Kentucky into the Mid-West and it's to far from the Atlantic to be mid-Atlantic.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:

Bald Cypress trees and Spanish moss will grow in North Carolina and Virginia, but Palmettos stop growing somewhere between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC. They do have some Palmettos here in Wilmington, but they are imported from farther south; you have to transplant them along with their native soil, which is expensive.

Range of the Palmetto

Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
I think it just depends on the map writer and what the map is for. I think perhaps that it is a matter of convenience in dealing with areas. I have seen Kentucky placed in the NE once when the country was only divided four ways! It just depends.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Bald Cypress trees and Spanish moss will grow in North Carolina and Virginia, but Palmettos stop growing somewhere between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC. They do have some Palmettos here in Wilmington, but they are imported from farther south; you have to transplant them along with their native soil, which is expensive.
Well somewhere I heard that palmettos were native to NC's extreme southern coast, from the SC border to Bald Head Island.
Maybe their native range in NC is just in scattered pockets along that small stretch of coast.

I did not know you have to transplant their native soil. Is that some kind of sand mix?

Nice map by the way. It's interesting to see its range in Florida and how a lot of northern FL is excluded. I know native ranges have nothing to do with what you see planted in gardens, but indicate what grows wild, or what grows easily in certain areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.