Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM

3,295 posts, read 6,987,916 times

Advertisements

The warm (at least much above average) weather is expected to subside (but not before peaking for some places, tomorrow or the day after) by the end of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I lived on the coast for 3 years and even though the average high for SD is probably 76-78 you have to keep in mind that this average is probably for DT or something. Valleys especially, even if near the coast, can vary sometimes as large as 10-20F. On the coast, during say July, if it got to the mid 70s I was happy. It became a different story during August/September when the santa ana's began to blow.

The humidity on the coast is probably higher than 2/3s the country. You don't feel sticky because it's constantly windy and 70 but it's definitely there. I think a lot of people assume it's not humid because it doesn't rain and they're not sweating. Now going inland, especially over those mountains, the air becomes very dry and I notice it. My skin is actually sensitive to moisture in the air and I noticed that coastal SD was one of the better places for it. That includes much of the south/midwest/northeast. Places that people think automatically are humid as all hell.
I lived on the coast for 9 years, 5 of which were within 8 blocks of the sand. During summer I went to the beach every weekend and weekdays I either went to the beach after work or to the gym which was literally 30 feet from the ocean (Wavehouse). Both Downtown and the Airport are right by the water too, granted it's the bay but they aren't "inland". The temperature doesn't vary that much between a downtown/airport weather station and the immediate coast, certainly not 10-20 degrees. Lower to upper 70's seemed to be the norm on the beach from July on.

The actual relative humidity percentage wise might be high but the lower temperatures doesn't cause it to feel humid compared to much of the country. When it comes to how humid it "feels" one has to look at Dew Points, which are lower than many areas of the country.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,644,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I lived on the coast for 9 years, 5 of which were within 8 blocks of the sand. During summer I went to the beach every weekend and weekdays I either went to the beach after work or to the gym which was literally 30 feet from the ocean (Wavehouse). Both Downtown and the Airport are right by the water too, granted it's the bay but they aren't "inland". The temperature doesn't vary that much between a downtown/airport weather station and the immediate coast, certainly not 10-20 degrees. Lower to upper 70's seemed to be the norm on the beach from July on.
I lived in OB, right on the water. No blocks between me and the sand. 8 blocks is quite a lot, what is that 1-2 miles? That 1-2 miles can matter a lot. When I used to visit my friends in Pt. loma (about 1-2 miles out) it was normal for them to be about 2-5 F higher than my spot. During may grey/june gloom they get a lot more sunny days than me too.

Yea, DT is on the bay but that bay has very little to do with regulating temperatures. More importantly DT is in a valley and is somewhat shielded from the pacific ocean. It's not unusual for it to be a cloudy day in OB, in the mid 60s and a sunny one in DT in the mid 70s. I experienced many such days during may grey/june gloom. Other than that, we're splitting hairs here. I say it's usually lower/mid 70s on the beach during July you say lower/upper 70s. I'm not really gonna argue over a couple degrees.

Quote:
The actual relative humidity percentage wise might be high but the lower temperatures doesn't cause it to feel humid compared to much of the country. When it comes to how humid it "feels" one has to look at Dew Points, which are lower than many areas of the country.
That could be true, be honest I don't know much about dew points but I do know coastal SD is humid but doesn't feel it because of the lower temps and the ocean breezes.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,062,227 times
I guess my question about all this is that if San Diego is mild year round, is the same true of Los Angeles?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I guess my question about all this is that if San Diego is mild year round, is the same true of Los Angeles?
LA/SD have almost exactly the same weather provided you are the same distance from the coast. LA sprawls inland far more and into valleys. Valleys characteristically have more dramatic temperature swings. It's far more expensive to live by the coast in LA than SD though, why a lot of people prefer SD.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Yea, DT is on the bay but that bay has very little to do with regulating temperatures. More importantly DT is in a valley and is somewhat shielded from the pacific ocean. It's not unusual for it to be a cloudy day in OB, in the mid 60s and a sunny one in DT in the mid 70s. I experienced many such days during may grey/june gloom. Other than that, we're splitting hairs here. I say it's usually lower/mid 70s on the beach during July you say lower/upper 70s. I'm not really gonna argue over a couple degrees.
A large body of water like the bay does indeed make a difference in temperature and there isn't a whole lot of land between the bay and the Pacific Ocean to begin with. I'm not sure what you're definition of a "valley" is but Downtown SD is not in a valley in any sense of the word. There is a slow rising mesa to the north and east of it but it isn't surrounded by any hills or mountains. That's like saying downtown SF is in a "valley".

Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
A large body of water like the bay does indeed make a difference in temperature and there isn't a whole lot of land between the bay and the Pacific Ocean to begin with. I'm not sure what you're definition of a "valley" is but Downtown SD is not in a valley in any sense of the word. There is a slow rising mesa to the north and east of it but it isn't surrounded by any hills or mountains. That's like saying downtown SF is in a "valley".
There are some hills that go straight down the peninsula. Going on narragansatt (lol if i got that spelling right) and you basically rise a couple hundred feet. I remember parking my car and looking at the dt lights during the night. If I was going the other way, I'd stop and just look straight down as the road seemingly dropped off into the ocean and then the pier. Incidentally, these hills are in place where the winds from the pacific blow and you can notice a change in climate on either side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.