Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

I never called Candlestick by whatever name some corporate sponsor had changed it too, it was always 'The Stick' or Candlestick and nobody I know ever called it anything else. Same thing with the Oakland Coliseum, myself and everyone I know has and will always refer to it as "The Coliseum". Most people do refer to Oracle Arena as that, I think the names sounds fine. I still at times call AT&T Park "Pac Bell" but a lot of people refer to it as AT&T now.

I like Petco Park and think it has a good sounding name. Qualcomm or The Q doesn't sound bad either and very few people would refer to it as Jack Murphy Stadium.

I just don't like it when they change the name from what it originally was with some exceptions like Oracle Arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:19 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Atlanta
Phillips Arena-Name Brand Stadium
Turner Field- a person and a brand
Georgia Dome-Not name brand
Aaron's Amiphitheatre at Lakewood- Name Brand
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park- Name Brand

All I can think of for now.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I like Petco Park and think it has a good sounding name. Qualcomm or The Q doesn't sound bad either and very few people would refer to it as Jack Murphy Stadium.
Didn't they call it the Murph?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,943,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Its a mixed bag for me.

I absolutely hate the name Minute Maid Park. Enron Field was more classic
The Summit changed to Compaq Center now its Lakewood Church
Reliant Center is kind of cool.

Toyota Center is kinda Bla.

The New Soccer Stadium here is gonna be called BBVA Compass- corporate branding to the overload
Enron "classic"? I admit it had a nice ring to it, but "classic"? That would be like calling it the James Earl Ray warehouse. Not necessarily an ugly name by itself, but the association

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The Louisiana Superdome is now the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, first corporate sponsor and I like it, couldn't think of a better corporate sponsor myself.

Yeah, I don't mind it all. Nobody here will ever call it anything other than the Superdome, and I think it's pretty unique among naming rights deals in that the original name for the stadium is kept completely intact. But M-B still gets what they want in that the paper insists on calling it the Mercedes Benz superdome, they get their light show (which I like/don't mind) and they get their corporate logos splashed everywhere for the cameras.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Boston -
Fenway Park. If the name ever changed, branches and outlets of whatever corporation the name was changed to would no doubt be torched by locals, CEO's and executives would get stones thrown at them and be sent to the gallows and guillotines, and there would be pandamonium at city hall plaza.

Arena where the Celtics & Bruins Play. Originally "the Boston Garden" New arena built in the 90's called "the Shawmut Center". Not bad actually, named for Shawmut Bank in which Shawmut was the Native American name for Boston before the English arrived. Merged with Fleet Bank, that caught on and was called "the Fleet center" fine, was named that for quite a while. TD Bank came in when Fleet Bank dissolved into B of A. It was named the TD Bank Garden as the media calls it. Yeah we'll call it the garden just like old times.

Gillette Stadium. Formerly called Foxboro stadium but nobody cares about Foxboro, it's just a non-descript suburb down near RI. Gillette has very strong ties to Boston and many Bostonians are or have been employed by them so we're cool with it.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-14-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
US Airways Center (Suns) - name not a far departure from America West Arena (another merger that turns into a name change).
Sounds a bit like where the Washington Bullets (before being the Wizards) played back in the day. DC is pretty straight forward though and still uses traditional naming with some of their stadiums/arenas. There is also a tendency for arenas to be most common for corporate sponsors, with baseball stadiums more likely to have a traditional name (though not by a whole lot).

Nationals Park follows the tradition of the original baseball park called National Park in the early 20th century.

I've seen Verizon Center nicknamed "The Phone Booth" during Wizards/Capital games.

As for FedEx Field, it's more just unremarkable since the old Jack Kent Cooke stadium era didn't last long and stuck around pretty well.

The only stadiums that I don't approve are those with a long-standing name, especially when a team has success. The White Sox' park will always be Comiskey to me, even though its US Cellular Field. Likewise, the Toronto stadium will always be the Skydome, as Rogers Centre sounds much more banal and unremarkable. Why not "Rogers Skydome" at least?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Here in Baltimore, I don't even know why they corporate branded our ugly arena. It was simply called 'The Baltimore Arena,' now it's called the First Mariner Arena and a local bank bought the naming right. Also, the Ravens' stadium was once PSInet Stadium, but now is called M&T Bank stadium. Camden Yards is the only stadium without corporate branding.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
In PA we have a bunch of Wells Fargo arenas/stadii because they bought Wachovia that bought First Union and whatever else. Kinda makes you think about the real value of naming rights when it loses any kind of distinction.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM

211 posts, read 477,124 times
I'm kinda on the fence about sports venues with corporate names. What I think is the tackiest thing ever is when cities allow corporate names on their performing arts venues such as in Dallas and Boston.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Yeah, I don't mind it all. Nobody here will ever call it anything other than the Superdome, and I think it's pretty unique among naming rights deals in that the original name for the stadium is kept completely intact. But M-B still gets what they want in that the paper insists on calling it the Mercedes Benz superdome, they get their light show (which I like/don't mind) and they get their corporate logos splashed everywhere for the cameras.
The whole name is too long to say comfortably. The lights look a little tacky but w/e. We still have the best stadium in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.