U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
 
3,346 posts, read 6,162,453 times
Reputation: 1114

Advertisements

So we all are open-minded to most cultures, race, etc? I'll say this maybe egocentric isn't the correct word (although I have ran across a few people who refuse to find interest on certain subjects because of the way they were brought up), maybe ethnocentrism? I don't know, maybe I can't point out the right word I'm trying to say. Some points to what I'm trying to say:

*Some Americans I met will be fine with someone until they know their political, religion, etc background. They will be a little more hesitant while engaging in conversation after they hear what they are.
*A few of them have no desire to leave America because they don't see the reason why.
*When it comes down to cities (since this is city data) a few of us are always putting down other cities because of what they have or are. A great example of this is the NY, LA density debate. "NY is more dense because of skyscrapers and we are the most important city on the world"
*I've seen a few "ugly americans" (look up the term if you don't know what I mean)
*Our school system really doesn't teach on other cultures as compared to other nations
*take a look at homosexuality, a few Americans refuse to hear anything about gay culture
*or even marijuana, Americans refuse to approve it why not? Look at California with proposition 19, the majority ruled not to legalize because they could care less if they hear positive medical facts about it or if the nation could reap benefits from it. They were raised on the belief "it's bad for you so no-one should use it" so their sticking to that.
*A very common thing with acceptance is music; a few Americans say "rap music is garbage", "heavy metal is just yelling", "country is country". While I listen to rap, classical music, pop, hard step, progressive rock, some folk, and whatever the Beatles are classified as. I would never say another genre is trash just because I don't listen to it. If I give it a try then maybe I would like it but a few Americans over-generalize music or just art in general.


Yes this is egocentric of me to say but all I want is more acceptance, yes we are diverse but a few Americans still won't give another person a chance to let someone speak to them just to inform about certain issues. A example of that is Kony 2012; while I'm neutral on the situation I still want to be informed about it. A few Americans just don't want to be informed about it although they easily could.

Can we at least agree on the acceptance part? Egocentric was the wrong word obviously.

SN: I'm not saying I want to change the world or even America for that matter, I just find the way we accept other things differently than what is expected out of us. Since we are the worlds superpower and the most diverse nation we shouldnt even have a problem with acceptance.

Last edited by BMORE; 03-16-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
 
7,760 posts, read 15,186,897 times
Reputation: 10441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
My main points were:

*Some Americans I met will be fine with someone until they know their political, religion, etc background. They will be a little more hesitant while engaging in conversation after they hear what they are.
Not really exclusive to America and if you think so, then that's really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
*A few of them have no desire to leave America because they don't see the reason why.
A few? Surely you realize there are "a few" in other countries who think the same way? This concerns such a narrow and negligible amount of the population that it doesn't really mean anything and shouldn't mean anything on the rest of the Americans. Most would like to travel abroad but don't have the time, resources, money, et. c. to do so-- why ignore them? Why put them in the same group that have no desire to go anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
*When it comes down to cities (since this is city data) a few of us are always putting down other cities because of what they have or are. A great example of this is the NY, LA density debate. "NY is more dense because of skyscrapers and we are the most important city on the world"
Doesn't mean we should put stock into it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
.
*I've seen a few "ugly americans" (look up the term if you don't know what I mean)
*Our school system really doesn't teach on other cultures as compared to other nations;
*take a look at homosexuality, a few Americans refuse to hear anything about gay culture
*(1)There's dumb(butts) everywhere... does it really matter if they're Americans? Again, if people want to put stock on stereotypes, it says more about them than it does about American people.

*(2)Well, this is just me... but this is why We shouldn't have DOE... the quality of education went way down and people still think to insist that schools teach their kids everything. In this case... worry about your own (future) kids, if its truly important to you-- you would teach your kids what is important. And... again, you're broadly swiping people into a cateogory to fit your argument. Kids don't know most of anything after they graduate high schools and have to experience it for themselves. But there are definitely some that's got a head on their shoulders and a worldly curiousity-- why ignore them?

*(3)Again, not really exclusive to America. Sure, there are some European countries that are doing it better, but even the homosexuals there will say it got a ways to go. American Gays' situation has improved over the years-- so don't act like it's all so terrible for them. There will always be a group of people who feel maligned by society.

And why focus on the gays? I am Deaf... and hearing folks get angry every time a Deaf person refer to Hearing folks as "Oppressors"... I have to sit and explain to them why there are some in the Deaf community that feel the way they do-- and they still don't get it. Why don't they get it? Because they're not deaf! You don't see anymore legislated rights for them... the ADA was pretty much the last Federal thing done for the Deaf Community-- that's years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
*or even marijuana, Americans refuse to approve it why not? Look at California with proposition 19, the majority ruled not to legalize because they could care less if they hear positive medical facts about it or if the nation could reap benefits from it. They were raised on the belief "it's bad for you so no-one should use it" so their sticking to that.
But again... not really exclusive to America-- you should study other countries' stand on drugs overall-- they're really hard-core about it as well. Japan and the Middle East, for one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
 
3,346 posts, read 6,162,453 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
there you go, typical egomaniac American claiming once again we are the best and biggest at everything!
Uh ok? you obviously didn't read the person I was responding to. He said


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Every successful country is like this, there is absolutely nothing different with the USA on that subject. Go hang out in Europe for awhile, they're even worse than Americans.
There are only two nations more populated on earth than us, and we have the largest economy of a single nation. He was saying every successful nation wants things done their way, so out of common sense knowing that we are a superpower and have the largest influence globally (considering that we do have everything from the United Nations to Hollywood to NATO to Organizations to help those starving) I thought it only made sense to say "Your right, we aren't the only nation that is that way but I'm sure we are the largest."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 05:44 PM
 
3,346 posts, read 6,162,453 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Not really exclusive to America and if you think so, then that's really sad.

A few? Surely you realize there are "a few" in other countries who think the same way? This concerns such a narrow and negligible amount of the population that it doesn't really mean anything and shouldn't mean anything on the rest of the Americans. Most would like to travel abroad but don't have the time, resources, money, et. c. to do so-- why ignore them? Why put them in the same group that have no desire to go anywhere?

Doesn't mean we should put stock into it


*(1)There's dumb(butts) everywhere... does it really matter if they're Americans? Again, if people want to put stock on stereotypes, it says more about them than it does about American people.

*(2)Well, this is just me... but this is why We shouldn't have DOE... the quality of education went way down and people still think to insist that schools teach their kids everything. In this case... worry about your own (future) kids, if its truly important to you-- you would teach your kids what is important. And... again, you're broadly swiping people into a cateogory to fit your argument. Kids don't know most of anything after they graduate high schools and have to experience it for themselves. But there are definitely some that's got a head on their shoulders and a worldly curiousity-- why ignore them?

*(3)Again, not really exclusive to America. Sure, there are some European countries that are doing it better, but even the homosexuals there will say it got a ways to go. American Gays' situation has improved over the years-- so don't act like it's all so terrible for them. There will always be a group of people who feel maligned by society.

And why focus on the gays? I am Deaf... and hearing folks get angry every time a Deaf person refer to Hearing folks as "Oppressors"... I have to sit and explain to them why there are some in the Deaf community that feel the way they do-- and they still don't get it. Why don't they get it? Because they're not deaf! You don't see anymore legislated rights for them... the ADA was pretty much the last Federal thing done for the Deaf Community-- that's years ago.



But again... not really exclusive to America-- you should study other countries' stand on drugs overall-- they're really hard-core about it as well. Japan and the Middle East, for one.

Ok everything I'm saying isn't exclusive to America and I def know that; I'm just saying how can we have such a diverse population and still not accept (not change to but just accept or be a little more open-minded) others beliefs? Let's say something about communism; "communism is the best" (I beg to differ but this is hypothetically speaking), what would you say and do about it?

And I agree with you when you said:

A few? Surely you realize there are "a few" in other countries who think the same way? This concerns such a narrow and negligible amount of the population that it doesn't really mean anything and shouldn't mean anything on the rest of the Americans. Most would like to travel abroad but don't have the time, resources, money, et. c. to do so-- why ignore them? Why put them in the same group that have no desire to go anywhere?

Most of us do have a desire to travel abroad although we can't afford it.


I seriously agree that DOE hasnt done it's job and now that NCLB is now opted-out in some states so there are baby steps being made but at least there being made. And your right again, a lot of high school grads don't truly know anything when they leave school. I was just in high school last year and I had a great passion for learning about other cultures but that all started because of the Internet and partly my mother. But my view is still kids should be taught at home and at school about different cultures.

I won't say their situation has improved since it constantly fluctuates. I hate to bring up religion but we're (America) 80% Christian and plenty of them say "in the bible it says sex between two men/women is a sin" so they still dont accept them. I define that as one of those government-people situations, where the govt is improving its right for homosexuals but the people still have a long way to go to until the acceptance of homosexuals is at a decent level. You can look back on history with the Little Rock 9 to see a govt-people situation, the govt accepts laws but citizens still won't accept it.

Funny thing is I took American Sign Language in high school so I'm a tad mediocre when it comes to it but I have some knowledge of it. I can understand the deaf community situation because one day my teacher made us all wear ear plugs for a day.

Ive studied other countries stance on marijuana and some of them are even more strict than we are some are less strict (ex. The UK). I understand why any nation would be strict about it since it is illegal but if they can't find a reason for it not to be legalized I don't see the problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix
11,029 posts, read 15,895,365 times
Reputation: 12822
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Every Middle-eastern country has a Christian minority, that is perfectly free to practice their religion without hindrance. The same in China.
Not to nitpick, but...
Freedom of religion in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix
11,029 posts, read 15,895,365 times
Reputation: 12822
It sounds to me like the OP lives in a crappy part of America and is surrounded by crappy people. Maybe you need to just get out and see the rest of the US?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,576 posts, read 8,792,946 times
Reputation: 3248
Because with out us, everyone would be speaking Japanese, German, or Russian. You're welcome.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=comba...:0&tx=74&ty=29
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 PM
 
7,760 posts, read 15,186,897 times
Reputation: 10441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Ok everything I'm saying isn't exclusive to America and I def know that; I'm just saying how can we have such a diverse population and still not accept (not change to but just accept or be a little more open-minded) others beliefs? Let's say something about communism; "communism is the best" (I beg to differ but this is hypothetically speaking), what would you say and do about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I hate to bring up religion but we're (America) 80% Christian and plenty of them say "in the bible it says sex between two men/women is a sin" so they still dont accept them. I define that as one of those government-people situations, where the govt is improving its right for homosexuals but the people still have a long way to go to until the acceptance of homosexuals is at a decent level. You can look back on history with the Little Rock 9 to see a govt-people situation, the govt accepts laws but citizens still won't accept it.
What would I say/do about communism? Absolutely nothing, actually. I'll just scoff and blow it off. Its already bad enough that everything's so balkanized between the Dems and Reps.

But this... non-acceptance that you've talk about? It's not an American problem... it's a Human problem. And I wouldn't go as far as to say it's because of religion. All of us been indoctrinated by so many factors (schools, society, culture, events, et. c)... and we're still quite capable about being rigid about whatever. That's just the way it is. Even those who are irreligious are very capable of being racist, of being narrow-minded jerks.



And since you keep bringing up religion as a contentious issue... let me point out something: Its a lot worse in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa. A lot of things that happens there offends our (American's) sensibilities. We can't even comprehend it at all. Like Shame. Americans will *never* understand the concept of Shame the others in the world have. Our culture is too independent to understand such a concept; even in the Southeast region, it's still not as bad as it is out there. I've seen it through my Asian family... and its still a bizarre concept for me because I grew up as American where "Shame" isn't like that.

People just like to ignore issues that does exist in the world and talk about America. And laugh at the fact Americans have ideals that not all of its own citizens can abide by. But... isn't the whole point of idealism is that we have this archetypal idea that we all strive towards? Of course there'll be bumps in the way. I do find America as a whole accepting, regardless of religion. Not to mention... We yet to have a Muslim Riot. Europe's had plenty even in the recent times. I can remember when France was having their Muslim riots, nobody really sneered and said "Oh, look... I guess France's not about "Fraternity and Brotherhood" *scoff*". (But they would do that if there's an contentious issue going on in America.) The America media didn't really extensively cover this so I had to look over to BBC to get more information. The BBC reporter was talking to a Muslim who was part of a riot... and you know what this French Muslim man said? (Paraphrasing but you get the same idea) Its bad for us here, we're never accepted by the people here, our children are never accepted as citizens even though they're born here and receive bad education. I have a cousin who went to America... and he feels American. I live in France longer and I don't even feel French.

That should be something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I won't say their situation has improved since it constantly fluctuates.
Please... find me a gay person who says: Hey... It was better in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s. Yes, it has improved because they got rights, benefits and protections they didn't before. Not to mention, society is slowly accepting them more and more (The media and Hollywood is on their side... that does count for a lot).

Baby steps is better to set a foundation towards the American ideals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 PM
 
Location: C.R. K-T
6,202 posts, read 10,826,947 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Not to mention... We yet to have a Muslim Riot.
They're smart enough not to do that in America. Al-Qaeida just has to be mentioned in an incoherent sentence and Islam is no longer considered a religion but a political movement that needs to be suppressed for national security's sake!

Meanwhile Fundamentalist Evangelical Christians are plotting the execution of a 13 year-old boy for the crime of being gay. But these people didn't notice the infiltration of unbiblical Catholic theology into Protestantism with the recent movement of outlawing birth control pills and other measures in the "pro-familolatry" movement. It's only a matter of time that condoms and Viagra are also outlawed following that logic.

When will the Catholics stab the Evangelicals in the back and America becomes a Catholic country and the movement spreads through the Anglosphere?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 AM
 
958 posts, read 1,110,534 times
Reputation: 228
I'm sorry but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Europeans and Canadians are by far the most egocentric per capita.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top