Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 AM

179 posts, read 273,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
I'm sorry but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Europeans and Canadians are by far the most egocentric per capita.
They've convinced a generation of Americans to hate their own country and culture. Now, our younger Americans are whining just as loud Europeans. Whine whine whine. I'm sick of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 AM

958 posts, read 1,198,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr83 View Post
They've convinced a generation of Americans to hate their own country and culture. Now, our younger Americans are whining just as loud Europeans. Whine whine whine. I'm sick of it!
Agreed. I can't stand people who can't just see things objectively and not make it all personal.

Places are what they are. Certain places are better for this, certain places for that. Putting any place on a delusional pedestal does nothing but annoy people.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Thank you, it is ridiculous.

It's usually always people who think they are new found world travelers and hate everything about the United States because they went to their first foreign country and met a European spouting off his usual bull**** about about America and they just repeat everything to sound cool.

Look at the OPs responses throughout the thread. It is 100% clear he has no clue about anything.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Thank you, it is ridiculous.

It's usually always people who think they are new found world travelers and hate everything about the United States because they went to their first foreign country and met a European spouting off his usual bull**** about about America and they just repeat everything to sound cool.

Look at the OPs responses throughout the thread. It is 100% clear he has no clue about anything.
Agreed on both points! And I'm in my mid-20s!

Having said that, there are some things American has fallen behind on. Quality of car production, for example; talk to our friends in Sweden, Germany and Japan about quality!

Knowing how to keep a balanced budget and/or significantly minimized debt even with more social programs and lower taxes; talk to some of the smaller Canadian provinces about that. Personally, I think Obamacare will be disastrous for the U.S., but this isn't the Politics forum.

Expanded options of wholly government-subsidized or privately-insured healthcare while having a more robust manufacturing sector are, as I understand it, what Germany excels in. Again, my take on Obamacare, but what likely won't work for this country may well be more manageable for others.

Many European nations don't call for the draconian measures against smoking that many U.S. states and localities have adopted, yet I still think the Parisians are still "civilized."

Public schools, anyone? If I have kids, I would be extremely selective about this. Why is the quality of our schools overall on par with second world countries?

Lastly and most importantly to me, there is a real degradation of social and personal manners and courtesy in this nation that is nothing short of appalling; maybe because it's happened in such a short time. It seems like I'm one of the few people in my 20s that actually knows how to smile and who doesn't follow all that reality TV garbage (MTV, anyone?!) The whine, whine, whine Occutard mentality shown in full force in Oakland, L.A., D.C., and N.Y.C. is amazing pervasive, although in much more passive form, amongst even the poorest and ugliest (aesthetically) in my generation. Generalities and not everybody, obviously, but you get what I'm saying. I think Japan kicks America's a** in the manners and courtesy category.

Look, America has proven to be a country that has risen in power, might, innovation, entrepreneurship, and developing a strong middle-class more so and more quickly than any civilization in history. But with the expansion of the military-industrial complex and complex taxes and regulations that now make business in the U.S. difficult (thanks IRS a-holes!), we have also helped spawn a much more global economy. In 50 years, I predict that the U.S. and China, and secondarily the E.U., Russia and Brazil, will be extremely significant in charting the diplomatic and economic course of the world, with China being at the slight forefront. We won't have fallen like the Romans and Greeks, but rather more akin to the British and French. It's kind of sad to watch us cycle from superpower to "a big, populated country with a lot of money" in less than 100 years, but I already think we're on the way there.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
**** it

Old 03-17-2012, 04:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Agreed on both points! And I'm in my mid-20s!

Having said that, there are some things American has fallen behind on. Quality of car production, for example; talk to our friends in Sweden, Germany and Japan about quality!

Knowing how to keep a balanced budget and/or significantly minimized debt even with more social programs and lower taxes; talk to some of the smaller Canadian provinces about that. Personally, I think Obamacare will be disastrous for the U.S., but this isn't the Politics forum.

Expanded options of wholly government-subsidized or privately-insured healthcare while having a more robust manufacturing sector are, as I understand it, what Germany excels in. Again, my take on Obamacare, but what likely won't work for this country may well be more manageable for others.

Many European nations don't call for the draconian measures against smoking that many U.S. states and localities have adopted, yet I still think the Parisians are still "civilized."

Public schools, anyone? If I have kids, I would be extremely selective about this. Why is the quality of our schools overall on par with second world countries?

Lastly and most importantly to me, there is a real degradation of social and personal manners and courtesy in this nation that is nothing short of appalling; maybe because it's happened in such a short time. It seems like I'm one of the few people in my 20s that actually knows how to smile and who doesn't follow all that reality TV garbage (MTV, anyone?!) The whine, whine, whine Occutard mentality shown in full force in Oakland, L.A., D.C., and N.Y.C. is amazing pervasive, although in much more passive form, amongst even the poorest and ugliest (aesthetically) in my generation. Generalities and not everybody, obviously, but you get what I'm saying. I think Japan kicks America's a** in the manners and courtesy category.

Look, America has proven to be a country that has risen in power, might, innovation, entrepreneurship, and developing a strong middle-class more so and more quickly than any civilization in history. But with the expansion of the military-industrial complex and complex taxes and regulations that now make business in the U.S. difficult (thanks IRS a-holes!), we have also helped spawn a much more global economy. In 50 years, I predict that the U.S. and China, and secondarily the E.U., Russia and Brazil, will be extremely significant in charting the diplomatic and economic course of the world, with China being at the slight forefront. We won't have fallen like the Romans and Greeks, but rather more akin to the British and French. It's kind of sad to watch us cycle from superpower to "a big, populated country with a lot of money" in less than 100 years, but I already think we're on the way there.

I agree with you with most of this post here. I feel a lot of this is a worldwide epidemic though, it seems like everyone around the world is becoming lazier and lazier and it is "hip and progressive" to expect the government to hand out everything and not expect people to work. This is going to be the downfall of the entire western world.

One part I don't agree with you though, is that you seem to speak highly of a lot of countries that are much worse than us with a lot of your points, which causes us to kind of raise an eyebrow and say "what the heck is he talking about here".

Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

List of smoking bans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-17-2012, 04:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Eh, I actually see a lot of young people who really do want to work and be productive, they just don't have the same opportunities to do so that they used to. And to a large degree, you can thank deregulation when it comes to industry and commerce for this. But, that's another discussion altogether.

Back to the topic at hand: I think that for the most part, sweeping generalizations - whether positive or negative - are the result of a lack of exposure.

If you've never been to Europe, let alone the rest of the US, it becomes easy to fictionalize those places. Once you actually get there, you can make an educated decision about whether or not your assumptions are true.

What I can tell you from having traveled all over, lived all over, and met and befriended people from every corner of the world, is that America hardly has a monopoly on ego, arrogance, snobbery, or stupidity. Anywhere you go in the world, you can find all of the above in spades if you're looking for it.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Your right, we aren't the only nation that is that way but I'm sure we are the largest.

We'll say all this crap about how the middle-east is wrong for building/possesing nuclear warheads (we honestly don't even know if they have any, President Bush made up lies to NATO in order to go to war) but we have the first or second largest supplyof them. Then we have our navy in their turf but once they do it back to us it's a uproar. It's like we can't see what other people go through we'd rather just criticize them instead of actually making agreements. I guess I should say we're hypocrites too.

After all that when it comes to religion we can't accept others religion, for ex. I've heard someone say "Long as your Christian your going to heaven, I feel bad for those who are other religions" (that's not exactly what they said but it was very similar wording). Why can't we accept others religions? It's a little ridiculous, I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere in America because when I went to the West Coast I didnt ask anything about religion but I know in the south it's def. that way.

Btw I've been to the UK; I'm sure if any European country is that way it's because we influenced them to be.
give me a break. he "made up lies" to nato? everybody and most of all europe likes to point fingers at bush and the us for the war, but european intelligence also gathered similar intelligence and supported the invasion.

if you want to believe bush is a liar fine, that's your opinion and i don't agree with it, but just know that it wasn't "all bush" because europe is just as guilty.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 03-18-2012 at 01:19 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I can't agree that Americans necessarily stand out, or are "worse", with regards to opinions and views. I grew up in a large community of Europeans and have grown up around "all kinds" of people, and have met and conversed with people from all over the world, and I think non-Americans are just as opinionated as anywhere else. In fact, quite often worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.