Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times

Advertisements

People tell me the US has higher alcohol and drug use than Canada and the UK and addiction in the US is very high than any country in the world and higher than Canada and the UK.

People say when you go to cites in the US social issues is very obvious that alcohol and drug use and prostitution . Where in Canada it is only some cities and more concentrated and not so obvious and such high number of people like in cities in the US.

I know there are a lot of people here that have gone to a lot of cities in the US and Canada so I'm sure members can clear this up if this is myth going around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
i dont know about the statistics, but i'd think it's actually the reverse- the US has lower alcohol use than both UK or Canada...the UK has a real rep for heavy drinkers, and Canada too with their hockey enthusiasts- "hosers" (slang) etc etc.

I think the US gets a bad rep with the college fraternities etc etc...but in my opinion, having traveled across Canada and the UK, I personally think you're more likely to run into some drunk delinquents there (esp UK) than in the US in general..just my own take- of course not the hard facts.

Alcohol consumption by country map:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Al..._world_map.PNG

Now if you're talking obesity rates or teen pregnancy or divorce rates- now I'm certain the US is ahead in those contexts!

Last edited by f1000; 03-15-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
The USA sees a lot of binge drinkers that many other areas don't have, but overall there isn't some huge problem in the USA any more than other places.

I think the perception is greater because there's a problem with alcoholic/drug user homeless people and vagrants who hang out in the large cities. You don't see as much of that overseas (Mainly Europe) because most countries have more social services, mental health facilities and ways to deal with people. The USA has lower taxes, but the result of that is if you can't make it on your own or you have mental issues, you're much more likely to be left out in the cold.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I think the UK has a more widespread drinking problem than the US. The US may lead in drug use, though.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
People tell me the US has higher alcohol and drug use than Canada and the UK and addiction in the US is very high than any country in the world and higher than Canada and the UK.

People say when you go to cites in the US social issues is very obvious that alcohol and drug use and prostitution . Where in Canada it is only some cities and more concentrated and not so obvious and such high number of people like in cities in the US.

I know there are a lot of people here that have gone to a lot of cities in the US and Canada so I'm sure members can clear this up if this is myth going around.
Canada's numbers would have been higher but most people there are too drunk to figure out how to fill out the survey.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:16 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Neither the UK nor Canada deal with the majority of the chronic, complex problems that some of the oldest US cities deal with.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 AM

179 posts, read 273,717 times
According to the WHO, the British drink more than the Canadians, and the Canadians drink more than Americans.
http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/p...ruprofiles.pdf

For "drugs," marijuana is the only one with reliable consumption statistics.
According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, the US and Canada are almost tied, but a slightly higher proportion of Americans use marijuana in a given year than Canadians, and we both smoke more that the British (the English and Welsh anyway - they don't have a number for the UK as a whole).
http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-...onsumption.pdf

Old 03-17-2012, 04:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I think the US gets a bad rep with the college fraternities etc etc...but in my opinion, having traveled across Canada and the UK, I personally think you're more likely to run into some drunk delinquents there (esp UK) than in the US in general..just my own take- of course not the hard facts.

The US gets their bad rep for this reason because so many of these people who hate America get their knowledge of our country from Hollywood and think that's what life is like here.

Then they call us close minded idiots

Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
It seems like drinking (to get drunk) is actually a much bigger part of the culture in northern and eastern Europe than it is in the US. Marijuana is bigger here though.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
46% of americans work fte. 46% carry the rest. not many of those guys get any sex at home.
zero exercise, no hot tub, no kind words, just bratty greedy gimme family members. so what do u think the stress management program is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.