Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times

Advertisements

Austin, late December 2011:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Nice pics, Andy. Here's a few more for good measure:

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Agreed.
Heck Indianapolis just hosted Super Bowl 46 and will be the FIRST northern city to host more than 1 super bowl in the same stadium. Already talk for another bid in 2018 or 2020.
2nd as the media said Indy is America's sports capital. the Indy 500 every year alone draws in 400,000 people and no other city in America can do that as well as Indy.
Very surprised the 2nd largest state capital gets very little mention.
Maybe people just haven't visited Indianapolis or something. Idk

My order would be Indianapolis>Atlanta>Columbia SC>Charleston WV>Lexington Kentucky.
I hate to break it to you but Lexington is not the capital of Kentucky. I can tell which city is but, as my mom would tell me, "it will be easier to remember if you look it up for yourself".

Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Agreed.
Heck Indianapolis just hosted Super Bowl 46 and will be the FIRST northern city to host more than 1 super bowl in the same stadium. Already talk for another bid in 2018 or 2020.
2nd as the media said Indy is America's sports capital. the Indy 500 every year alone draws in 400,000 people and no other city in America can do that as well as Indy.
Very surprised the 2nd largest state capital gets very little mention.
Maybe people just haven't visited Indianapolis or something. Idk

My order would be Indianapolis>Atlanta>Columbia SC>Charleston WV>Lexington Kentucky.
Pasadena, California
Also, Boston, Massachusetts, the Head of the Charles brings more than 300,000 Visitors tothe Banks of the Charles River, as well as a massive operation with about 10,000 participants, going strong since 1909.
The Boston Marathon attracts 500,000 visitors (abiet not all tecntically in the city of Boston)

Last edited by btownboss4; 03-20-2012 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
I don't want to break forum rules by taking a copy written photos. If anybody has a picture of the Massachusetts State House taken from Cambridge with Beacon Hill coming right out of the Charles next to the Longfellow bridge, could you please post it so we can end this discussion and give Boston the victory?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Nice pics, Andy. Here's a few more for good measure:
Austin looks nice and I know there is Lake Travis nearby, as well as hilly terrain. However, what's it like living near a university with 50,000+ students and in the same city as Rick Perry (Mr. 2 out of 3)?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Austin looks nice and I know there is Lake Travis nearby, as well as hilly terrain. However, what's it like living near a university with 50,000+ students and in the same city as Rick Perry (Mr. 2 out of 3)?
The hilly terrain, large university, and Rick Perry are all great. It's Lake Travis that's the disappointment. Just not getting enough rain in the Hill Country these days.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I hate to break it to you but Lexington is not the capital of Kentucky. I can tell which city is but, as my mom would tell me, "it will be easier to remember if you look it up for yourself".
Frankfort is probably the most obscure Southern capital city. Most are among the largest cities in their states or at least something of a regional hub like Tallahassee. Frankfort is neither. Interesting.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, the city is large enough to where most don't really feel the effects of UT's presence...I suppose traffic increases a bit and Sixth Street nightlife is crowded. Some of the positive byproducts are great food options near campus and UT football games. Ol' Ricky's been busy campaigning, praying for rain and making YouTube videos so we haven't really seen him around much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The hilly terrain, large university, and Rick Perry are all great. It's Lake Travis that's the disappointment. Just not getting enough rain in the Hill Country these days.
No, Governor Goodhair is not great! His presence certainly doesn't affect me on a daily basis though, lol.

Lake Travis is indeed currently disappointing, but it has been steadily rising since late fall, in fact it's gone up a bunch in the last 24 hours, the most since the last tropical storm in Fall 2010.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Capitols that I've been to:

Like:
Lincoln, NE (my favorite although I'm biased, nice small town feel, beautiful trees and parks, nice downtown, great restaurants, fairly relaxed for a good-sized city, beautiful imposing state capitol building filled with murals and mosaics detailing the pioneer history of the state
Hartford, CT (downtown looked nice a lot of clean tall financial-style buildings)
Boston, MA - beautiful historic Northeast city, always felt safe there, tons to do
Santa Fe, NM - beautiful natural setting, beautiful Southwestern style buildings, one of the few state capitols that to me is also a big draw as a tourist destination!

Dislike:
Montgomery, AL (a lot of areas seemed unsafe, Eastchase area seemed too strip mallish)
Atlanta, GA (skyscrapers are impressive but traffic is a nightmare, drivers drive so fast there its scary, sprawl is unreal and crime is terrible - really couldn't Georgia have chosen a more bucolic setting for its state capitol?)
Indianapolis, IN - looked like it had a lot of bad areas *Looks like I didn't spend more than a day in the city*
Topeka, KS - has a lot of crime
Jackson, MS - other than the state capitol building, Jackson gets run-down in a hurry, surrounding suburbs and the Ross Barnett Reservoir are beautiful though
Trenton, NJ - may have been nicer at one-time but run-down former industrial city
Harrisburg, PA - other than the state capitol building, not a lot of nice areas to this city
Columbia, SC - Oppressively hot in the summer, high crime, has some beautiful historic buildings, nice riverfront, and beautiful state capitol grounds, but also a lot of dangerous parts. Tensions seem high between blacks and whites there.
Salt Lake City, UT - was not very impressed, downtown area looked average, beautiful mountains in backdrop, but surrounding area looks like miles and miles of nearly identical houses with grid-patterned boulevards
Richmond, VA - while Richmond has some beautiful areas, does not feel very safe
Charleston, WV - maybe I saw it on a grey cloudy day but the city itself did not look very economically vibrant, the surrounding terrain and river was very pretty though
Corrected you there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.