Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
^But don't people in St. Louis typically say "soda" instead of "pop?" She sounds somewhat southern to me btw. Not overtly, but with a slight southern twang or southern overtones.

I don't know about becoming, but Indianapolis has always felt surprisingly southern for a northern city IMO. The city is very spread out, lots of chains restaurants, and even some of the Indy natives sound southern. Just based upon sheer physical characteristics, Indy somewhat reminds me of Atlanta, Birmingham, and Houston meshed together.
I've been to Indy. While it's not southern, I would agree it definitely felt like it was farther south than it was. Honestly it felt closer to home culturally than St. Louis does and STL is only 2 hours away.

I kind of cringed when she said data, route and roof. I say all three completely differently than she does. I also don't say pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM

364 posts, read 715,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I've been to Indy. While it's not southern, I would agree it definitely felt like it was farther south than it was. Honestly it felt closer to home culturally than St. Louis does and STL is only 2 hours away.

I kind of cringed when she said data, route and roof. I say all three completely differently than she does. I also don't say pop.
I do say "root" for route, but hearing here say data and roof was like nails on a chalkboard. I don't say "ant" for aunt, and I counted at least six other words I pronounce differently from her. But then again, I'm from the east coast, where everyone tends to say we pronounce everything "wrong."

Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I do say "root" for route, but hearing here say data and roof was like nails on a chalkboard. I don't say "ant" for aunt, and I counted at least six other words I pronounce differently from her. But then again, I'm from the east coast, where everyone tends to say we pronounce everything "wrong."
There were probably more words that I pronounce differently but I mainly noticed the ones I mentioned. In route, I emphasize the "out". I say data like day-da, and roof like roo-f.

I've heard several people pronounce roof like they're trying to imitate how a dog barks lol.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I am from SE MO, there really isnt much of a southern accent until you get south of US 60.
These people (the farmers) are from my hometown of Sainte Genevieve, MO, no southern accent at all.

Environmental Stewardship - Eckenfels Farm - 2009 Region III Award Winner - YouTube

These folks are from Poplar Bluff, MO, which is in the bootheel.
completely different accent.

Poplar Bluff, MO flood 4/25/11 - YouTube
Certain words stand out to me, for example, most Southerners pronounce "on" and "own" the same way, which I didn't hear in those videos. I another word that stands out for me is "can't", which from us sounds more like "caint".

As far as Northern areas becoming more Southern, I'd say most of that happened during the Great Migration when lots of Southerners (mostly black) moved to Chicago, Detroit, etc...

Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
^But don't people in St. Louis typically say "soda" instead of "pop?" She sounds somewhat southern to me btw. Not overtly, but with a slight southern twang or southern overtones.
She sounds straight up midland to me. She could be from Maryland, SW Ohio, or parts of central Illinois. She could pass for someone from Northern Virginia or one of the population centers of the Piedmont South or Texas.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Certain words stand out to me, for example, most Southerners pronounce "on" and "own" the same way, which I didn't hear in those videos. I another word that stands out for me is "can't", which from us sounds more like "caint".

As far as Northern areas becoming more Southern, I'd say most of that happened during the Great Migration when lots of Southerners (mostly black) moved to Chicago, Detroit, etc...
I rarely hear people say "caint". I do hear some people say "own" every once in a while, but it's mostly just plain on.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
She sounds straight up midland to me. She could be from Maryland, SW Ohio, or parts of central Illinois. She could pass for someone from Northern Virginia or one of the population centers of the Piedmont South or Texas.
She has a classic St Louis accent.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
I'm a St Louis native, I have always heard both words used.
What I have noticed is that people whose parents are from the south will use the word pop, while speaking in a perfect midland/south accent, which is what the young lady in the vid is speaking with.
That twang you mention is the MO twang mentioned upthread by several people.
I've seen the video before and I thought she was from St. Louis until I heard "pop." She's gotta be from somewhere else, maybe Kansas City. She sounds a lot like a girl I know from KC. Although, she does have some of that nasally St. Louis sound goin on. Except she just says "pop" and not "paahp." Then at times she says things like "tin" instead of "ten" which is characteristic of KC and the South, but not STL, but other times she doesn't do that. Her accent is all mixed up.

And about "pop" I'm not sure why people with parents from the South would say "pop" Everyone here either calls it "coke" or "soda". "Pop" is definitely unheard of.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've seen the video before and I thought she was from St. Louis until I heard "pop." She's gotta be from somewhere else, maybe Kansas City. She sounds a lot like a girl I know from KC. Although, she does have some of that nasally St. Louis sound goin on. Except she just says "pop" and not "paahp." Then at times she says things like "tin" instead of "ten" which is characteristic of KC and the South, but not STL, but other times she doesn't do that. Her accent is all mixed up.

And about "pop" I'm not sure why people with parents from the South would say "pop" Everyone here either calls it "coke" or "soda". "Pop" is definitely unheard of.
Pop is a southern MO thing......all my cousins from the bootheel say it.
Drove my dad crazy.
I have a hybrid accent myself, so I get hers entirely.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Pop is a southern MO thing......all my cousins from the bootheel say it.
Drove my dad crazy.
I have a hybrid accent myself, so I get hers entirely.
Hmmm I've never heard pop down there. It drives me crazy too lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.