Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I know?
She wanted to get the hell out of Fisk, lol
So now we know who "Reconsider Me" was about! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
So now we know who "Reconsider Me" was about! lol
I've asked her about that 1000 times, she will never answer.
I always thought so.....

Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,520,167 times
Anywhere that has a substantial African American population. The huge African American migrations from Southern states to the Northeast, Midwest and West between 1920 and 1970 transformed this country. I would say Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, New York, and Los Angeles are the most "Southern" non-Southern cities in the USA.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,195,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I wasn't referring to anyone in the videos being disingenuous, and I believe you know that.
I was referring to you.
I made reference to the youtube accent tag vids, looks like you ignored it.
Look what I found;

Accent Tag: Atlanta Accent - YouTube

Accent Challenge: Atlanta Edition - YouTube
This gal is cute, lol

The Accent Tag: Georgia Style - YouTube
Amongst blacks, most accents are fairly uniform across the country. People in Chicago sound southern, as do people in Detroit, considering that most blacks were from the south.

I'm mainly talking about the white population, which is more in line with what I'm talking about.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 AM

518 posts, read 809,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Amongst blacks, most accents are fairly uniform across the country. People in Chicago sound southern, as do people in Detroit, considering that most blacks were from the south.

I'm mainly talking about the white population, which is more in line with what I'm talking about.
This is so true even though a lot of people from those cities don't seem to get it. I'm often surprised at how not only people from Chicago talking just like small town and rural southern blacks, but surprisingly they also often seem to lack "urbanity" or "urban sophistication" I guess you could say, as well.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:57 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,052,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Some do take voice lessons, but Ryan Seacrest never did. We're close to the same age, and I remember him on Star 94 when he was only like 17 or 18 years of age. Star 94 is a Top-40 format station in Atlanta. He sounds pretty much the same way today that he sounded then. Thus, I really doubt he had lessons. Seacrest grew up in Dunwoody, Georgia. I'm telling you that it is not uncommon for many young adults and youth in the region to have either a light southern accent or none at all.

Ty Pennington may have had lessons, but who knows.

Zac Brown hasn't had lessons. The guy worked small clubs for many, many years. He sounds much the same as he always has. He sounds like he has a light southern accent.

Jason Aldean and Billy Currington have obvious southern accents, typical to their areas of the state.

Alex Kendrick is a director of Christian films, based out of his home church, Sherwood Baptist, in Albany, Georgia. Kendrick grew up in Atlanta suburb, Smyrna, I believe. He's been instrumental in the production of the films "Fly Wheel", "Facing the Giants", "Fireproof", and "Courageous". He hasn't had voice lessons. He has a typical southern accent of modern times.

Most people in the Atlanta area have southern accents, but I'd say only around sixty percent of the population. Amongst the youth, only around forty to fifty percent do, and most have a light accent. I don't celebrate this, but it is reality. However, if you leave the metro Atlanta core, you do hear obvious southern accents even in the youth, much typical to the Dexter, MO clip.

That said, most of the accents you hear aren't the strong drawl that was stereotypical of the region some fifty years ago. The strong drawl only seems to be typical in a high percentage in older adults (over 50).
I honestly don't hear that much of a difference between Zac Brown and the Jason Aldean/Billy Currington set, outside of the fact that Currington seems to have a few coastal influences. Even with the kids in the "Not So News" clip, they don't have a heavy twang or anything, but it sounds like they have Southern features.

Remember - it's not just the twang that makes an accent Southern - it's specific vowel shapes, lengths of vowel sounds, and that kind of thing. If I put a "twang" in my voice, I would still sound like I'm from the Great Lakes area. In fact, some people from rural areas have that "twang" but they obviously don't sound Southern.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I honestly don't hear that much of a difference between Zac Brown and the Jason Aldean/Billy Currington set, outside of the fact that Currington seems to have a few coastal influences. Even with the kids in the "Not So News" clip, they don't have a heavy twang or anything, but it sounds like they have Southern features.

Remember - it's not just the twang that makes an accent Southern
- it's specific vowel shapes, lengths of vowel sounds, and that kind of thing. If I put a "twang" in my voice, I would still sound like I'm from the Great Lakes area. In fact, some people from rural areas have that "twang" but they obviously don't sound Southern.
There are quite a few folks that have commented on this thread that dont seem to be able to discern the difference between a twang and a southern accent, even with auditory aids.
Very good point.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,195,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I honestly don't hear that much of a difference between Zac Brown and the Jason Aldean/Billy Currington set, outside of the fact that Currington seems to have a few coastal influences.
Obviously, Zac Brown has a southern accent. That's not been my point. My point is that like most southerners, he doesn't have a heavy drawl, something that is more common in today's time, and that his voice isn't much more southern than some of the Missouri videos posted.

Jason Aldean and Billy Currington do have stronger southern speech, so I don't get your point. An accent is not the words one uses, rather it relates to the tone, vowels are a distant second.

Quote:
Even with the kids in the "Not So News" clip, they don't have a heavy twang or anything, but it sounds like they have Southern features.
If they do, it's very, very mild. Please point out where they have "southern features"? It's hard to discern much of anything southern about their speech.

Quote:
Remember - it's not just the twang that makes an accent Southern - it's specific vowel shapes, lengths of vowel sounds, and that kind of thing. If I put a "twang" in my voice, I would still sound like I'm from the Great Lakes area. In fact, some people from rural areas have that "twang" but they obviously don't sound Southern.
It depends on the type of twang. Canadians and people from the upper midwest have a sort of twang, but it isn't obviously southern twang. I have a discerning ear and hear southern speech when I hear it.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Southern Indiana.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Southern Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.