Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times

Advertisements

Kennewick is only green in the yards of the people who keep it green, and around the banks of the Columbia River. It is much drier with much less rain. It is a desert. That said, it is a great town, in the sunniest area of Washington State, and is close enough to the mountains to make a day trip of it. Personally I prefer Eastern Washington to Western Washington, and had I a job over there I'd move and not look back. But to each their own, most prefer the hustle and bustle and milder (although wetter and cloudier) climate of Seattle and area. But you really should check out the Tri-Cities, as well as other locations of Eastern Washington if it interests you. Make a visit you won't regret it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Knoxville has a lot of diversity because of UT and ORNL is nearby. But, like western NC I expect you would get stares in some of the smaller towns in E TN.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
Sacramento or some of the smaller sized cities by it may be an option. Sacramento is very diverse, and the core is very liberal, also has a more small town feel than the other larger cities in California. It's also very affordable for CA.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM

350 posts, read 740,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheskie View Post
My hubby and I have been living in small-town NH for the past 8 years. I was ready to leave 4 years ago. Small towns are not my "thing" turns out. Having grown up in the Midwest, where it's not unusual to strike up a conversation with a stranger at a bus stop, the "taciturn" nature of New Englanders has been a tough adjustment for me (though I've tried my darndest!)

Now, my husband has a telecommute job which means we can move ANYWHERE we want! But now, having looked online at so many places, we're confused as ever

I've been drawn to the Pacific Northwest to cities like Bellignham WA, Ashland/Medford OR, and Bend OR. But my hubby, being from South India, wants some SUN and warmth. I've heard Bend Oregon is sunnier than most cities in Oregon. But I just wonder if it's full of retirees (we're in our early 40's with no kids).

Any ideas on a FRIENDLY mid-sized city where people aren't afraid to make eye contact and smile? We're progressive liberals, not religious (but respectful of those who are), non-hipster.

My favorite thing about New England are the quiet walks in the woods where I can walk for miles and let my dogs run off-leash, and I'd love to find something similar in the next place I live.

I will appreciate any and all suggestions!
The Midwest is very friendly. Not sure about letting your dogs run off-leash but there are wooded trails in just about every mid to large-sized city. My small town even has a walking trail in the woods on the edge of town.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps Las Cruces NM: Untitled Page

Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Roanoke, VA nice mountain city.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 12,117 times
Wow, thanks everyone! You've mentioned several places that I haven't looked into yet (which is amazing since I feel like I've looked everywhere!
Taynxtlvl - Do you live in Roanoke? If so, do you think it's the kind of place an interracial couple would feel comfortable? Never thought I'd have to even think about such things (my middle name is naive), but experience has taught me different.
ckhtankgod -I'm too afraid of the bugs in NM (scorpions, black widows!) It's too bad really because my husband's company is based in Santa Fe and would help us move out there if we wanted to.
I'll check out Sacramento. Sounds really nice.
SCentralNE Guy - I agree that the Midwest very friendly, though I might be just a little biased since I'm originally from Ohio! I was just reading about Madison, WI last night.
One place, we've visited a couple of times and really like is Ithaca, but I hear the winters there are brutal --- worse than here in NH because of the wind and cloudiness.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I can't believe no one has brought up the seemingly obvious choice of the Boulder, Colorado area. Besides Boulder the neighboring towns of Louisville, Niwot, Lafayette and Broomfield would fit the bill as well.

Boulder, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Downtown Boulder Inc | Downtown Boulder Business Improvement District

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,965 times
I actually liked Knoxville-- I drove through with no expectation. It had some great 19th century architecture and LOW cost of living (great lofts downtown for peanuts compared to some major cities I have lived in.) I had no expectations but I was pleasantly surprised. That place has potential. And the locals seemed super friendly.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Des Moines, IA seems to fit your bill, unless you enjoy skiing or anything with mountians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.