Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I can understand why he said that. Today, Scotch-Irish consider themselves as Irish in Northern Ireland because it's been several generations that they're in Ireland. While Scotch-Irish American only stay in Northern Ireland for 3 or 4 generations before they came to America. They were considered as Irish when they came but after the immigration of Irish catholics in the 19th century, they were called Scotch-Irish because people want to separated both.

I don't really know if most Scotch-Irish consider themselves Scottish, Irish or maybe both.
The largest ancestry in the Southern US is probably Scotch-Irish but most of them just call themselves "Irish" or "American." I don't hear "Scotch-Irish" much.

According to city-data, the largest reported ancestry in my hometown is "Irish" It's even ahead of "American." "Scotch-Irish" on the other hand isn't even on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM

814 posts, read 1,465,157 times
To me when I think of Irish, I think of Catholicism and if a person or that person's ancestors were not Catholic, then they are not really Irish. All those Scotch-Irish people are usually Protestants, so they are not really Irish. That is why there is that Scotch part attached to Irish. So if someone calls themselves an Irish American, then they and/or their ancestors should be Catholic.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
San Francisco used to be massively Irish up until the 1960s. Its down to about 8 or 9% now. White flight/suburbanization kind of dispersed them throughout the Bay Area. Still, its a pretty heavily Irish region. I would guess they're still the largest white group in the Bay Area.
As for whites, after the Italians, then? Actually, in some restaurants in SF, some of the men and women waiting tables have been from Ireland. I asked if many others were coming over, and they said that they were. Way out on Sloat (near the Zoo) where it meets the Great Highway, there is an Irish neighborhood and some kind of a cultural/social center.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,847,734 times
My grandmother was Presbyterian and part Scotch-Irish American and she identified a lot more with Scottish Protestants than Irish Catholics.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
I would have thought New York.

That was the case at once point (they used to heavily control the government there).

I guess New York has a more prominent Italian population now.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM

468 posts, read 780,338 times
A lot of Irish and Irish Americans are just culturally Catholic now, only going to Mass when they're "hatched, matched, and dispatched", in the words of an Irish-American priest I once knew from Brooklyn.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM

814 posts, read 1,465,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
A lot of Irish and Irish Americans are just culturally Catholic now, only going to Mass when they're "hatched, matched, and dispatched", in the words of an Irish-American priest I once knew from Brooklyn.
I dont think that is just Irish Catholics that do this.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 AM

399 posts, read 814,465 times
Quote:
The largest ancestry in the Southern US is probably Scotch-Irish but most of them just call themselves "Irish" or "American." I don't hear "Scotch-Irish" much.
Actually the demographers say the largest ancestry in the south is English. Historically English American are the top ancestry in almost every southern states. Scotch-Irish is the largest ancestry in Arkansas, West Virginia and maybe Oklahoma. They must dominate the entire Appalachian and Ozark region but all the southern states aren't in this region.

You can check here

Last edited by Smash XY; 04-03-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Actually the demographers say the largest ancestry in the south is English. Historically English American are the top ancestry in almost every southern states. Scotch-Irish is the largest ancestry in Arkansas, West Virginia and maybe Oklahoma. They must dominate the entire Appalachian and Ozark region but all the southern states aren't in this region.

You can check here
I said probably because a lot of Southerners claim their ancestry as "American" or "Irish" on the census and I'd say that the majority of those people are actually Scotch-Irish. The link says almost 13 million claim Irish. It doesn't say anything about "American" but that's an even more common ancestry that's claimed in the South.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'll go with Boston, and the Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY capital region (remember the movie "Ironweed" ?). Both are very Irish Catholic.
Along with the Syracuse area, I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.