Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think the rest of the US perceives us Orlandians
Those people are nuts! 8 28.57%
They're probably normal, just a few more nuts than most cities 6 21.43%
They're all nice people, the media just hates Florida 1 3.57%
People actually live in Orlando? I thought Orlando was just theme parks! 13 46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times

Advertisements

I was listening to Monsters in the Morning today on 104.1 and they were discussing how there's been nothing but a rash of negative news headlines coming out of Central Florida and the host of the show was on the phone with somebody from Boston and he asked him "What do people up there think of us? Do they think we're all just a bunch of goofballs or what?"

The guy on the phone just simply said "Its negative that's for sure"

So it made me think, how does the rest of the country perceive us here in Central Florida, given all the bad press we've received (Casey Anthony, Trenton Duckett, Jennifer Kesse, Michelle Parker, Trevon Martin, I could go on all day)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
The rest of the country are not wasting their time thinking about the people in Orlando any more than the people live here are thinking about the people who live in Omaha.

Why don't you post this in major city forums elsewhere to get the real answer ?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I was listening to Monsters in the Morning today on 104.1 and they were discussing how there's been nothing but a rash of negative news headlines coming out of Central Florida and the host of the show was on the phone with somebody from Boston and he asked him "What do people up there think of us? Do they think we're all just a bunch of goofballs or what?"

The guy on the phone just simply said "Its negative that's for sure"

So it made me think, how does the rest of the country perceive us here in Central Florida, given all the bad press we've received (Casey Anthony, Trenton Duckett, Jennifer Kesse, Michelle Parker, Trevon Martin, I could go on all day)
Do you ever go up North? Not sure if it happens everywhere but in the MIdwest when I go visit relatives, being from Florida is like being a celebrity!
People even flock to me at funerals because I am the one from Florida. They have questions, want to share their stories of trips to Florida, and just act different around me than they dio with the rest of my family that lives there.
There seems to be a Florida envy in a lot of people.

As for the negative things happening here.......do you read any papers from up North on a daily basis? I do. I check out stories in papers where my family lives and guess what.....they have murders, drugs, drug deals gone bad, car accidents, family beatings, bank robberies, dog bites that kill, kids getting run over by lawnmowers, teens shooting at teens etc. etc. just like down here. So Floridians can have just as many negative ideas about places up North-even little farm towns in the Midwest.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM

7 posts, read 9,977 times
I was just listening to an older episode of Marc Maron's WTF podcast and he a fellow comic Jake Johannsen were talking about how the Florida (not specifically Orlando) comedy crowds and clubs were great, but that anytime there was something weird going on in the news (examples they cited were serial killers and kid missing from a camp site) it was Florida. Then Marc mentioned one of his parents was retired somewhere in FL, and they joked about how, despite it being so humid and hot, the marketing for retirement was good.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
It's a mixed reception in my experiences. Some in my family think I live at Disney World and others take the approach described by the above poster in which being from Florida makes you this cool, beachy, flip flop wearing, wakeboarding, surfer type. Neither are fully correct (although for me the 2nd is much closer to reality), but who cares either way. We all know that Orlando is more than a 2-D city that fits into the perceptions of those who don't live here, or have just visited. Heck I encounter people on a daily basis here that have negative perceptions of Orlando too, and when I start probing about what they like to do and why they haven't checked out such and such, they just smile that ignorant self-righteous grin and say something about how much better NY or Boston is. That's fine, but you're in Orlando now. If everyone who laments this place spent as much energy creating what they love here as they do complaining about how we're sub par to these massive cities (duh), imagine the incredible change that could take place.

Also Davie, that Monsters segment was probably where they talk to Eric Weber formerly of WKMG who landed a bigger gig, in a bigger city, only to come on a smaller Orlando radio show, and talk about a smaller market, to a presumably smaller audience. So either he has wicked pity on the small burgh of Orlando and it's common folk, or there is a part of him that still really really likes the place and can't leave it 100% behind. Reminds me of a huge basketball star that recently decided to stay in Orlando and said the following:
Quote:
"I just love this city too much. I want to win a championship."
To those of your who simply love your city too much as well, let's all decide to stay and 'Win a Championship' in our own respective ways!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times
I agree with Rabflmom, when during my youth I lived in Richmond, Va which at that time earned the designation in the news as the murder capitol having more per capita than Washington D.C.

Now did that mean D.C. was better off, no, they still had their problems. And the observation I made when I traveled to D.C. as I did most every month is news was all about how bad it was in D.C. nothing about Richmond.

The best/worst about cable is the 24 hours news.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Their probably wondering why the hell do we live in Florida, but not near the beach! Even though its a 30 min drive, still. But Lake Toho and East Lake Toho are great.

So my answer is none of the above, just as I don't think how other people live in other cities.

Seems like Orlando posters have this inferiority complex lately, hmmm wonder why?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM

570 posts, read 1,153,278 times
Nobody cares about any other city besides the city that they (will) live(d) in. If they do, I would recommend finding new hobbies such as knitting, petting wild racoons, or planking.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I catch a ribbing sometimes from my family out of state but at the same time they're still trying to move down here. The sense I get is that they think alot of crazy things happen in Orlando, but it doesn't happen to regular people, as I nor any of the other people they know down here have ever experienced the craziness. And when they call, for everything bad in the news here, they tell me it's just as bad there...hence that's why they wanna move here. The reality is people only care about their little world, so my family in New England who sees the national news might giggle at us from time to time, but in the end there more concerned about the local news in there area. It's just weird for us because we see it on our local news and on the national cable news networks, but really, it's entertainment to anyone who doesn't live in Orlando.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:14 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,410 times
My family from the North thinks Orlando is full of weirdos and they always blame it on too much SUN!! LMAO....

Yet at the same time during the winter they are asking can they come visit me for the winter...

I ask them why do you think orlando is so great?? They always respond the SUN and Theme parks.

So Orlando has its negatives such as Low paying jobs, High number of sexual offenders,and Corrupt Sanford Cops,but the SUN and Theme parks arent going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.