Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

Really enjoying this thread!

The single most awe inspiring place I've seen is Yosemite. Had a lump in my throat as soon as we saw a glimpse of Half dome entering in from the west. Astonishing!

Big Sur, The Redwoods, Brookings Oregon, Mr. Rainier... gorgeous!
Another jaw dropping place to me is Sedona, Az. I'd just stop and stare at every turn!

One place that really got under my skin on a deeper level though was the Upper Peninsula of Michigan! The nature, the skies, the weather changing inside of a few hours sometimes...

There's something about that place that's so magical to me. I can't believe so many of my Finnish ancestors lived there, and I barely knew anything about it until a few years ago! It was so remote and different from the place where I grew up and live to this day... a giant sprawling megalopolis in So. California. (although watching the sunset in the Pacific is always nice)

BTW, just got back from a few days in Lake Tahoe last week... gorgeous! There was an early storm so there was a blanket of snow on the ground and some on the mountains... ahhhh... okay, time to plan the next road trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
Several come to mind (I took all of the pics myself):

The Kalalau Trail on Kauai:

Glacier Point at Yosemite:

Mount Rainier National Park:

I have others, but they are not in the US.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM

192 posts, read 411,949 times
Pretty much all of Washington. Driving on Interstate 5 towards Seattle is jaw-dropping, such high and scenic mountains. When I was in Portland, I could see Mt. Hood about 60 miles to the east, just rising from the horizon line. Then near Olympia and Tacoma, I had the best views of Mt Rainier from the freeway. As I left my hotel on the north side, I could see a mountain all the way in the North Cascades near the border (Mt Baker??). And when I was leaving Seattle, I could see all the way across the Puget Sounds to the Olympics. Snoqualmie Pass was intense, and a very nice break from the city. Then going to the viewpoint after I crossed the Columbia River, the yellow-arched bridge crossing the river with high-hanging cliffs in the background was an excellent view. The second most beautiful place I have been would probably have to be the Grand Canyon, with the Colorado River 600 feet below flowing through it. I'm still in awe.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post

That is OH MY GOD beautiful. I've never been to Kauai but I'm already in love with it.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I second the Michigan UP. Took a summer job there and fell in love with the Pictured Rocks area, especially the sandstone beaches. Have never seen anything else quite like it.
Too bad I can't take a decent picture, other peoples will have to do.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jense...s/IMG_1233.JPG
Waterfall at the Beach | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Upper Michigan Landscape Pictures Page 2

Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Nice to see the Upper Peninsula of Michigan being mentioned. I think there are more visually stunning places, but the U.P. has a very unique beauty that you have to experience to appreciate.

Anyway, here are a few pics that I took in the U.P. of Michigan:

Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Monterey/Carmel area has to be one of the most pristine coastal areas I've visited.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM

162 posts, read 420,943 times
Most beautiful places I have seen.
In the United States

California coast
Washington state
Oregon

New York State
New York City Metro area
Massachusetts and most of New England
Jersey Shore
Alot of Philly is pretty
Cleveland, Ohio
Chicago, mainly around lake Michigan
Indianapolis believe it or not.

Alot of pretty places in America.

Last edited by Ninetails; 11-13-2012 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Add words

Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I second the Michigan UP. Took a summer job there and fell in love with the Pictured Rocks area, especially the sandstone beaches. Have never seen anything else quite like it.
Too bad I can't take a decent picture, other peoples will have to do.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jense...s/IMG_1233.JPG
Waterfall at the Beach | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Upper Michigan Landscape Pictures Page 2
Those are beautiful pics you found, but I don't think you have to be a "good picture taker" to get a nice picture in the UP. It can't help but be beautiful!
I couldn't believe how some of the pics turned out (like the ones I posted) from our little ol' camera! Oh and the stunning pics Michigan83 took! Wow!

When the OP said, "Places that stir the soul, tug your heartstrings"... sigh, that's what the UP does to me. Seeing these pics puts a lump in my throat. :}

Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post

My first husband (years ago) and I took a very adventurous boat ride to the side of the island where no cars or buses were allowed. HO MY GOSH! It was thrilling! Beyond beautiful, and it was one of those little river raft type boats with just the Captain, his mate, my and and my hubby with two other guys.

The only thing is on the way back, I had to wee so bad, and there was a little ladder to dip into the ocean with. But all the guys kept teasing me about sharks, and the Captain showed me his missing toe from a shark bite, so I suffered all the way back to the dock! Oh whatever, it was a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.