Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,783,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

I dont think it is any elitism; perosnally I have lived in two (actually 3 as NYC too) other places with higher COL when compared Phiolly and prefer Philly to SF and DC personally
exactly. A city is more enjoyable if it provides all the amenities of a more expensive one, but at a cheaper price.

I think what makes Houston great is that you can enjoy tons of amenities, Like the Art Scene for example, without having to live in a more expensive city.

Darn transplants are jacking up the price of everything though
LOL.

btw, Houston only has two discernible wards currently, and at most there were 6. never had 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,325,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Houston been to ~30-35 times (a family member who lived quite a while in the Woodlands; have spent much time at the TMC over the years for work) over the last 18 years or so. DFW probably 12 or so times

Lastly what did my post have to do with Philly or Houston or DFW in which you responded to.

I dont think COL is high on the list of what defines a great city; you choose to feel otherwise

And my reference is to a multitude of amentities and city heritage and less so any specific attraction/place

And lastly on COL - if one would chart COL to city prominence there is a rather direct correlation; and for a city you reference as the prominence has increased so has the COL on average. I also feel COL average is not always a great barometer. For example to live Katy (a more desireable place the COL is much higher) versus the 8th ward in Houston (forget the name of the area). Prices are also rising in the loop as the desireability and qualitiy offerings of urban living increase in this space.

I dont think it is any elitism; perosnally I have lived in two (actually 3 as NYC too) other places with higher COL when compared Phiolly and prefer Philly to SF and DC personally
Thinks for your insights and comments and cred. I agree COL isnt th end all but it is part of any equation of whats best is my view but rarely gets listed in the my dog is bigger than your dog argument.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,597,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
What are you guys talking about? LA has marvelous museums... and has easily a better arts scene than Chicago. Oh, only on city data. What it doesn't have is the financial institutions, urban core, public transportation and skyline... But uhhh... you want to say Chicago is this world art/cultural mecca? Over Los Angeles? ahahahahahahhahahahahaha
There are also WAY more artists/writers/musicians/performers in LA than Chicago. LA doesn't have modern architecture? Say whattt??? Yes it's skyscrapers leave something to be desired but LA is an architecture paradise. LA is all about modernism! Many of the premier works in modern architecture have been in LA.

I mean sure, LA is easy to bash from an urban planning perspective, but the rest? Not so much.

This forum, given it's nature has a STRONG Los Angeles bias... but don't throw the baby out with the bath water folks, there is a LOT going on in LA even if you don't like the city layout (I don't like it either) but I respect it for sure.

It's NYC > LA > Everybody else.
Do you believe these things you write? Answer, then ask yourself again because they seem fairly ludicrous.

Maybe you can say it's NYC > and then everyone, but you certainly can't batch LA even anywhere near NYC when it comes to culture (or at least "good" culture. I will admit LA has a lot of culture though).

Try something like the following... NYC (has everything) > .... Chicago/DC (have basically everything, but in lesser numbers) > .. San Francisco > Los Angeles (movies, cosmetology, boob molding and TMZ).

Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM

93 posts, read 84,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

Try something like the following... NYC (has everything) > .... Chicago/DC (have basically everything, but in lesser numbers) > .. San Francisco > Los Angeles (movies, cosmetology, boob molding and TMZ).
Any other cliches you want to illuminate this jaded forum with?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,661 times
Quote:
Do you believe these things you write? Answer, then ask yourself again because they seem fairly ludicrous.

Maybe you can say it's NYC > and then everyone, but you certainly can't batch LA even anywhere near NYC when it comes to culture (or at least "good" culture. I will admit LA has a lot of culture though).

You can't really knock LA as you did without revealing a lack of knowledge of what's happening in high culture. Your list shows a lack of understanding of what's going on today in the arts.

Consider that Paris (at the Pompidou), Berlin and a host of other cities have recently had full retrospectives dedicated to LA's art history, it's pretty representative of number of internationally ranked artists coming out of LA right now. Which is why your list is strange, at best, to someone working in the NY/LA art world.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,851,415 times
I'd put NYC & LA in the top tier since they're the only two mega cities in the U.S.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM

398 posts, read 747,239 times
Quote:

You are the one with clear bias... Chicago and DC are NOT above LA in cultural output, certainly not the art world, neither is SF... how do you possibly figure? Yes LA has Hollywood, but it also has everything else. NYC puts out some pretty bad movies themselves and is full of celebs as well you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietr View Post
You can't really knock LA as you did without revealing a lack of knowledge of what's happening in high culture. Your list shows a lack of understanding of what's going on today in the arts.

Consider that Paris (at the Pompidou), Berlin and a host of other cities have recently had full retrospectives dedicated to LA's art history, it's pretty representative of number of internationally ranked artists coming out of LA right now. Which is why your list is strange, at best, to someone working in the NY/LA art world.
This, it isn't worth arguing with people on here b/c they are clueless about culture and the art world. Their knowledge revolves around a few trips to a museum featuring mostly dead artists from other countries and tallying them up, or reading list on Forbes or About.com

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 04-04-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,428,570 times
I won't draw conclusions, but opening statements invited an informed, detailed conversation on the relative merits of one city's arts output. Further discussion is certainly welcome.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,935,995 times
In terms of wealth, influence, economic strength, Metropolitan population, status as a "Global City", Popularity worldwide, art, culture and diversity. The ONLY city you can compare with New York is Los Angeles.

Now, should NY and LA be on the same tier? Well....they are the only to Megacities in the US, they are the 1st and 3rd wealthiest cities (by GMP) in the world and are the two most important cities in the US in terms of media, and econimic might and output.

That said, in my humble opinion, New York should be tier 1, it is the first city and the original "center" of the US. Los Angeles should have tier 2 all to it's self. Then tier 3 with Chicago and other cities that compare to it and so on.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,242,528 times
Tier systems suck, basically opinionated at every turn and highly controversial. 4 best U.S. cities are NY, LA, SF, Chicago. After that its practically tied for the other 7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.