Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times

Advertisements

Many small towns that happened to lie on the outskirts of urban areas years ago have since exploded in growth and become suburbs or exurbs. In my area (St. Louis), for example... Wentzville, O'Fallon, and St. Peters in Missouri and Edwardsville, O'Fallon, and Shiloh all used to be small, distant towns outside of the STL urban area. Then sprawl happened and these little towns ballooned. In fact, some of them exploded in growth. O'Fallon (MO) is a textbook example. The town contained only about 1000 residents in around 1970. Today, the city has a population of about 80,000. So, yes, small towns do have the potential for growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Many small towns that happened to lie on the outskirts of urban areas years ago have since exploded in growth and become suburbs or exurbs. In my area (St. Louis), for example... Wentzville, O'Fallon, and St. Peters in Missouri and Edwardsville, O'Fallon, and Shiloh all used to be small, distant towns outside of the STL urban area. Then sprawl happened and these little towns ballooned. In fact, some of them exploded in growth. O'Fallon (MO) is a textbook example. The town contained only about 1000 residents in around 1970. Today, the city has a population of about 80,000. So, yes, small towns do have the potential for growth.
That would be chem lawn suburbia. The developers just bought up all of the parcels and developed them due to the proximity of I-70. It's just amazing how bad the sprawl is in St. Louis through the I-70 corridor.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Please let me know. I'm very interested in such things, especially since I came from a small town.
Small towns can and have reinvented themselves. Those that organize, fix up their downtown, promote the small businesses, create initiatives for new businesses and stimulate interest in visiting whether for a day trip or longer will thrive. The towns in decay with no leadership or organization, no viable industry and lacking in vision will fail.

Some successful examples:

MADISON, MAINE: Reinventing a Small Town Economy | Maine Public Relations and Advertising Agency

Small-town Pickford swaps recession for reinvention

'Da Brick' is at the heart of Benkelman's revitalization plans | Rural Entrepreneurs and Rural Success Stories | Nebraska Rural Living | Seek more green and less noise

Creative Destinations: Braddock, a Steel Town That Levi's Helped Reinvent | Co.Design: business + innovation + design

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy:: News and Publications:: Features:: In Idaho, Former Silver Mining Town Reinvents Itself as Trails Destination

Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
kyle, I just got into Pickford but one term threw me, where it says, "Many small U.P. towns struggle to compete against the lure of the larger cities, like Marquette, Sault Ste. Marie and Escanaba, with their big box stores and greater choices for dining and shopping..." What is U.P.?

Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
kyle, I just got into Pickford but one term threw me, where it says, "Many small U.P. towns struggle to compete against the lure of the larger cities, like Marquette, Sault Ste. Marie and Escanaba, with their big box stores and greater choices for dining and shopping..." What is U.P.?
It says so right in the article, Upper Peninsula = U.P.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
In case the original poster doesn't see your question: "The U.P." is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - it is a commonly used term in the region. Locals are known as "Yoopers". Most Yoopers would rather be an independent state, and regard southern Michigan with great distain!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Ah! I didn't connect the dots -- thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Did they go somewhere?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 AM

You never know when a dots disappear or reappear...

Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Columbus Indiana is booming.
Manufacturing is hiring hundreds and hundreds of people there.
Alot of that has to do with Cummins and how they just announced 500 new jobs to Columbus Indiana.
Heck there isnt even enough apartments to account for all the new people moving there.
Hats off to Cummins for being a great company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.