Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle, but only been here for 2 months. I would say the city itself is ok, but I don't really like the people. I find people in Seattle to be a bit stuck up, and REALLY fake. Plus maybe it's the entire asian influence, but everyone seem to be more concerned with saving face than above anything else. I know asian culture is really big on saving face, but it's pretty annoying.

The greater things about Seattle are the work environments. Everyone is talented, so you find very few frauds in the work force. Less frauds mean less people trying to throw each other under the bus. I find Seattle offices to be WAY more cooperative and easy going. Their corporate culture and business culture is far more laid back than what you will find in Atlanta.

As far Atlanta, almost the opposite is true for me. I love the Atlanta people, but I generally never liked the city. So hard to find stuff to do, and the stuff there is to do gets old fast. Not a lot of activity in the downtown and inter city areas. But the great thing about Atlanta, you have that big city, East Coast quirkiness where people aren't afraid of being less than perfect. You get pretty great conversations just hanging around Atlanta, and a trip on Marta, you're likely to see something or someone do something to make your laugh.

I think overall the Atlanta corporate culture is too Machiavellian. A lot of back stabbing, very cliquish, a ton of frauds show up in offices to work as well. Working in Atlanta you need to come to work with your armor on every day, because there are so many snakes trying to grab you and bite you. The kiss up culture in Atlanta seems worse too. Overall, I find Atlanta corporate culture to be a little less comfortable than Seattle. This could be because of the general culture. In Seattle people are mainly West Coast, so they have that "new company" and internet mentality. A lot of Atlanta has a ton of old companies, where things are buy the book and less flexible.

Overall I have to give it to Seattle slightly. I think my issue with Seattle is learning how and where I fit in. In Atlanta I don't think you really have to fit in. However in Seattle I think you really need to find a group that I get a long with. Seattle loses a lot of the charm that Atlanta has in terms of the different types of personalities and people though. But I do think Seattle corporate culture kind of makes up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
^^ Great Post. Interesting perspective elaborating on the corporate and working culture of each city which indeed is a different dynamic. That would make a good thread topic. I had a great job while living in Seattle and though I felt a good camraderie with most of my colleagues, the social scene in Seattle certainly leaves something to be desired and is very strange. I've only visited Atlanta and it doesn't take much to break the ice and start up a conversartion there. Great nightlife, the city is just OK. I like Seattle as a city a bit better.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Los Angeles

Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Honestly, I think I liked Tampa the best.
Unfortunately its not an easy place to make a living so I couldn't stay.

Live in the atlanta area now and find it brimming with opportunity (for me) but it's missing nearly everything I liked about Tampa.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Boston is my favorite. The outdoors access combined with the history, culture, and urbanism is hard to beat. Secondarily, the proximity to other worldly travel meccas is a huge benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.