U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
 
4,883 posts, read 11,483,890 times
Reputation: 1315

Advertisements

What does an affluent city look like to you? How about a non-affluent city?

Here is my opinion of what an affluent city looks like:

-Low crime rates
-Good public schools
-Lots of outdoor activities
-A college
-Natural food markets
-Walkable downtown
-High-end hotels like Marriot, Embassey Suites, Hampton Inn Suites, Radisson, Hyatt, etc...
-European car dealers like BMW, Volvo, etc....
-Stores selling designer brand clothing like some Macy's, Nordstrom's, Banana Republic, Men's Warehouse, Chico's, etc....
-Book store
-Apple electronic store
-Higher home prices
-Lots of new buildings
-Abundance of 4 and 5 star restaurants

Last edited by the city; 03-30-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2016, 01:46 AM
 
102 posts, read 104,774 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What does an affluent city look like to you? How about a non-affluent city?

Here is my opinion of what an affluent city looks like:

-Low crime rates
-Good public schools
-Lots of outdoor activities
-A college
-Natural food markets
-Walkable downtown
-High-end hotels like Marriot, Embassey Suites, Hampton Inn Suites, Radisson, Hyatt, etc...
-European car dealers like BMW, Volvo, etc....
-Stores selling designer brand clothing like some Macy's, Nordstrom's, Banana Republic, Men's Warehouse, Chico's, etc....
-Book store
-Apple electronic store
-Higher home prices
-Lots of new buildings
-Abundance of 4 and 5 star restaurants
One has the wealthy people and the other not so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 AM
 
65,539 posts, read 91,367,902 times
Reputation: 14359
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What does an affluent city look like to you? How about a non-affluent city?

Here is my opinion of what an affluent city looks like:

-Low crime rates
-Good public schools
-Lots of outdoor activities
-A college
-Natural food markets
-Walkable downtown
-High-end hotels like Marriot, Embassey Suites, Hampton Inn Suites, Radisson, Hyatt, etc...
-European car dealers like BMW, Volvo, etc....
-Stores selling designer brand clothing like some Macy's, Nordstrom's, Banana Republic, Men's Warehouse, Chico's, etc....
-Book store
-Apple electronic store
-Higher home prices
-Lots of new buildings
-Abundance of 4 and 5 star restaurants
There are "non affluent" cities with a lot of the things on this list. Are we looking at the city proper or metro area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Northeast states
11,940 posts, read 9,874,616 times
Reputation: 3499
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What does an affluent city look like to you? How about a non-affluent city?

Here is my opinion of what an affluent city looks like:

-Low crime rates
-Good public schools
-Lots of outdoor activities
-A college
-Natural food markets
-Walkable downtown
-High-end hotels like Marriot, Embassey Suites, Hampton Inn Suites, Radisson, Hyatt, etc...
-European car dealers like BMW, Volvo, etc....
-Stores selling designer brand clothing like some Macy's, Nordstrom's, Banana Republic, Men's Warehouse, Chico's, etc....
-Book store
-Apple electronic store
-Higher home prices
-Lots of new buildings
-Abundance of 4 and 5 star restaurants

Sound like Fairfield County, CT sururbs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 PM
 
Location: 78745
3,714 posts, read 2,860,813 times
Reputation: 6486
Austin, Texas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
4,760 posts, read 2,997,286 times
Reputation: 3356
Affluent city = Bellevue, WA (east side)
Non-Affluent city = Tacoma, WA (south sound)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 07:55 PM
 
2,617 posts, read 2,094,077 times
Reputation: 2181
Affluent city= Highland Park TX
Non affluence city = Arlington TX (home to the Dallas Cowboys)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Seattle
676 posts, read 672,946 times
Reputation: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Affluent city = Bellevue, WA (east side)
Non-Affluent city = Tacoma, WA (south sound)
Tacoma is pretty well off compared to a lot of other cities in the U.S. It's also very diverse and is pocketed with all kinds of neighborhoods. Point Ruston, Ruston, Old Town, Proctor, North Slope, Stadium, parts of downtown, Northeast, Browns Point, and parts of the West end are very well off. Even the areas with higher crime aren't really that bad comparing it with any other major city. Tacoma has had a lot of money poured into it within the last couple decades. It's a really fun place and has maintained affordability for now.
Anyway, comparing it to Bellevue, sure it's not affluent. However, "not affluent" is not how I would describe Tacoma, not even close.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
4,760 posts, read 2,997,286 times
Reputation: 3356
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Tacoma is pretty well off compared to a lot of other cities in the U.S. It's also very diverse and is pocketed with all kinds of neighborhoods. Point Ruston, Ruston, Old Town, Proctor, North Slope, Stadium, parts of downtown, Northeast, Browns Point, and parts of the West end are very well off. Even the areas with higher crime aren't really that bad comparing it with any other major city. Tacoma has had a lot of money poured into it within the last couple decades. It's a really fun place and has maintained affordability for now.
Anyway, comparing it to Bellevue, sure it's not affluent. However, "not affluent" is not how I would describe Tacoma, not even close.
Okay I guess Tacoma is not that bad, but still for the metro area generally rich people live east of lake Washington and low income people live in the south sound (south of Seattle)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2018, 01:35 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,747 times
Reputation: 15
Rich neighborhoods: pretty houses with front porches that on one ever sits on. Poor neigborhoods: not as pretty houses with people on the porches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top