Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 AM

440 posts, read 776,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might check out Salt Lake City, UT Despite perception by some it's actually quite liberal/progressive and offers a lifestyle similar to Portland without the rain/clouds.

Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I thought about Utah but I don't think I would enjoy living in a place that has such a low percentage of non-white people. Coming from Hawaii, I found Portland's segregation of whites/blacks/Mexicans to be off putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I thought about Utah but I don't think I would enjoy living in a place that has such a low percentage of non-white people. Coming from Hawaii, I found Portland's segregation of whites/blacks/Mexicans to be off putting.
Segregation? WTF? Do you even know what the word means?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Which is why I always laugh/scoff when I see people posting about wanting to move to Seattle because they "love rain". Our climate is a bit more complex just rain.... its the cloudiness factor that a lot of people cannot handle. So unless you're the type of person from a similar climate or even a person from a region of extreme climates (and tired of it)-- you're definitely going to have to adapt.

With that said, a lot of my friends are moving out and are truly enjoying where they live:

Southern Cali (Riverside, LA, SD)
Austin, TX (seemingly a popular choice of place to move to)
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
Minneapolis, MN
Brooklyn, NY
DC
Atlanta, GA
Phoenix, AZ
Chicago, IL
St. Louis, MO
Nashville, TN
Pittsburgh, PA
Denver, CO

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. I hear these places get better weather-- but that's really all on preference and tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I know what she means. You have a very white city that pays lip service to the whole diversity shindig... but more often than not, you find people only willing to associate with their own kind.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 AM

398 posts, read 751,029 times
Not sure, Portland and Seattle would fit me very well culturally and I like those cities. But, like you have discovered...the weather keeps me away though, not worth it (to me) Like you I also grew up somewhere tropical like Hawaii with LOTS of sun and warmth, so I can see where you are coming from. California works though? It can go months here without even seeing many clouds.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 AM

California, the coastline that is, has great weather. 2nd only to Hawaii. the rest of the state not so much.
I am not sure why, but I cant get myself to consider California as a option.
I think I may have read to many comments from jealous people that try to compare there state to Cali and point out how bad it is.
If I could find a city that had half as good the weather as say San Diego yet slower pace I would have moved there by now.

If you were to double all the bad weather days (rain heat cold) I bet San Diego would still be in first place on the continent of the USA. but you get what ya pay for. super over crowed high cost of living.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Ok, maybe that was to strong a word. but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
California, the coastline that is, has great weather. 2nd only to Hawaii. the rest of the state not so much.
I am not sure why, but I cant get myself to consider California as a option.
I think I may have read to many comments from jealous people that try to compare there state to Cali and point out how bad it is.
If I could find a city that had half as good the weather as say San Diego yet slower pace I would have moved there by now.

If you were to double all the bad weather days (rain heat cold) I bet San Diego would still be in first place on the continent of the USA. but you get what ya pay for. super over crowed high cost of living.
Santa Cruz, San Luis Obispo

Old 03-31-2012, 01:26 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,305 times
I lived in Portland for two years. I had moved there from Las Vegas and in terms of weather the two are complete opposites. I remember sitting in class in early June at PCC and watching it rain outside and the temp would only be about 50 degrees. I worked as a valet in Portland and since I was outside 95 percent of the time for my job the weather was a big factor for me. I got so sick of hearing people tell me, "You just have to wait for the summer." Summer in Portland is basically from Mid July through August and then it goes back to gloom. For some people that's ok but it didn't work for me. I moved to Florida AKA the SUNSHINE STATE and it was crazy how much better I felt in general. In Oregon I would almost feel stressed when the sun was out b/c I was thinking, "the sun is out, I have to do something outside while I can." I picked up about 25 extra lbs while in Oregon due to my lack of physical activity. When I got to Florida I felt a lot more relaxed b/c I didn't feel the sunshine was limited. I also dropped a lot of weight when I left Oregon. I ended moving back here to the Las Vegas area b/c I like mountains and desert and also here THE SUN IS ALWAYS OUT. In all the places I've lived I always hear people complain that it's too hot or too cold etc... I figure you have to pick one HOT or COLD and suck it up b/c the perfect balance is different for everyone and subject to opinion. For me it's always been hot weather.
Like you I also noticed in Portland that everyone is white. I've learned from living in many different cities that if people have to tell you how diverse their city is then it really isn't that diverse. I like the Las Vegas area b/c it has a good mix on the diversity scale. A lot of people move from Hawaii to the Las Vegas area b/c the homes are cheap and the weather is constantly warm. My first job in Las Vegas was working valet at a local night club and I always thought it was funny how many cars w/ Hawaii license plates I parked. Portland has many things that I love about it and I have some really good friends there but for me I can't sit inside 9 to 10 months out of the year due to the constant drizzle and chill. Again for some people this works and for some it doesn't. I would pick two or even three cities you are interested in and go visit them. Good luck in your search and know that you are not the only one who doesn't want to put a Heart in Oregon sticker on your car LOL. There is a really good thread in the Portland section of this forum called, "Leaving Portland, My thoughts on the City." I will post the link below. I would encourage you to read it as it hits on a lot of what you are mentioning here. Have a good one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...ghts-city.html

Last edited by Juxtaposition109; 03-31-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 01:39 PM

there are all kinds of climate prefs... hot and cold is way too simple. My prefs are in order sun > warmth...

I would prefer a day that is 40 and sunny than 60 and cloudy drizzly if it came down to it. While neither are optimal, this is why Denver even though it gets quite a bit colder would be far more preferable than Portland mild/damp. The lack of sun definitely messes with my mood.
I'm not sure what is worse though... probably the great lakes area, it had both a lot of cloudy days in winter and brutal temps. I'd have to live in Portland for a year to see which of the two options would be the lesser evil.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM

378 posts, read 707,352 times
Quote:
If you only look at annual rainfall statistics Oregon does not have a more rain then other states. that would possible lead you to think people here in the pacific north west just like to complain about the rain. hahahaha no way!
it rains every week from November to March. if you work indoors no biggy. all other blue collar types ya might wana stay away.
Why would you look at rainfall stats for the entire state, instead of Portland specifically?

http://nationalatlas.gov/printable/i...precip_or3.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.