Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:34 AM

822 posts, read 858,045 times

Advertisements

All my grandparents came from Italy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 10:54 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Mom's family= All german
Dad's family= African American, Irish, and Native American
As my German grandmother says I'm a gemischter Salat (mixed salad) lol.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
5/8 Mexican (Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi, Sonora, Chiapas)
1/8 Swedish (Lindesberg/Orebro County)
1/8 Scottish (Glasgow)
1/8 English (Lancashire, others; I and the heir apparent share a 15th or 16th great grandfather via his mother)

My surname is Spanish.

My father's family ascended from Mexico in the 2nd decade of the 20th century, as did one branch of my mother's. The rest of my mother's family settled in the Northeast upon arriving from Europe, mostly in New England, but no further south than Pennsylvania. The trek west mostly occurred in the last century.
I had a Genes For Good test done, and the results read:

77% Europe
20% Native-American
3% Sub-Saharan African.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:02 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
3/4 English 1/4 Scotish

Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
My parents were immigrants from Crimea (currently disputed between Ukraine and Russia).
My family doesn't really know if we are more Russian or Ukrainian since Crimea is very mixed and nobody truly knows, though my family identifies as Russian and mostly speaks Russian.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:50 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
I wonder what is the (True) most common ancestry among "white" Americans. Many claim German, other Irish, other Italians. I mean only a Dna could determine that. To me most white americans just look "American" and dont resemblem much other europeans. And thinking in where they could pass, I bet there are more white americans who could Blend in England, Ireland or even France than in Germany, I notice germans have a quite quite different looks compared to the average White American, but not as much as Russians of course.
According to the most recent genetic studies, English people have been pretty much conclusively proven to be somewhere in the range of 80% "Celtic" and 20% "Saxon." While the proportions were surprising to some (who expected more Saxon ancestry) the components are not.

Why is this important? Because the mixture did not happen that long ago in the great scheme of things. Most consumer-level genetic tests would have a very hard time, as an example, determining the ancestry of someone of mixed German/Irish ancestry. Much of that ancestry would basically be read as being English, since English is, as noted, very close to a German/Irish mix anyway - only from around 1500 years or so in the past.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:01 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
I wonder what is the (True) most common ancestry among "white" Americans. Many claim German, other Irish, other Italians. I mean only a Dna could determine that. To me most white americans just look "American" and dont resemblem much other europeans. And thinking in where they could pass, I bet there are more white americans who could Blend in England, Ireland or even France than in Germany, I notice germans have a quite quite different looks compared to the average White American, but not as much as Russians of course.
I think it depends on where in the US you go. Recently I was looking at a photo set of Berlin street scenes and I was struck by how much the people there look like the people in Minneapolis (which is the most German descended city in the US). WASPy British and Irish New Englanders really stick out when they come to this part of the country, even though they are white you can tell that they probably aren't from here because they have a different mix of European. The upper Midwest has fewer English descended people than any other region of the US. In Minnesota the most common European ethnicities are German, Norwegian and Swedish, and most white people who are from the Twin Cities (and many of the non white people) have at least one of those in their background.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:08 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Scottish, Swedish, Italian, Dutch. Mostly Scottish though

Old 08-01-2016, 12:17 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
According to the most recent genetic studies, English people have been pretty much conclusively proven to be somewhere in the range of 80% "Celtic" and 20% "Saxon." While the proportions were surprising to some (who expected more Saxon ancestry) the components are not.

Why is this important? Because the mixture did not happen that long ago in the great scheme of things. Most consumer-level genetic tests would have a very hard time, as an example, determining the ancestry of someone of mixed German/Irish ancestry. Much of that ancestry would basically be read as being English, since English is, as noted, very close to a German/Irish mix anyway - only from around 1500 years or so in the past.
Angles and Saxons are Germanic tribes, many forget that. From the southern Denmark (Saxon), northern Germany (Angles) area. Actually I may have those two flipped but you can fact check that. Britons were the true British people at that time. Saxons mainly settled in the SE part of England which I believe are the Essex counties of England, near London, while Angles took more towards the NW part of England near York. Britons were all of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, etc.

Other notable Germanic tribes of that time as far as I'm concerned didn't make as far as an impression on the historic UK, the Goths for an example were a southern Swedish group who I don't think made it over there at all.

It's clear that you know that because you mention the German/Irish mix, but people mainly think of "Anglo-Saxon" as the English heritage which isn't true at all. These two different Germanic tribes brought quite a bit of new stuff over to the islands that were fairly new. This included language and so on. Britons and I believe Celts were those from Ireland who spoke Gaelic mixed lots with Angles and Saxons over time making the English people we see today. It's not surprising that the Britons and the Celts show up more on an Englishman's DNA test over a Germanic tribe. Otherwise more German would show up.

Also the Angles and the Saxons were probably seriously outnumbered during that time. The different groups engaged in lots of wars over English history and at that time traveling by sea was a daunting and dangerous adventure, even though the NW part of Germany isn't really that far.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:32 AM

322 posts, read 479,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Angles and Saxons are Germanic tribes, many forget that. From the southern Denmark (Saxon), northern Germany (Angles) area. Actually I may have those two flipped but you can fact check that. Britons were the true British people at that time. Saxons mainly settled in the SE part of England which I believe are the Essex counties of England, near London, while Angles took more towards the NW part of England near York. Britons were all of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, etc.

Other notable Germanic tribes of that time as far as I'm concerned didn't make as far as an impression on the historic UK, the Goths for an example were a southern Swedish group who I don't think made it over there at all.

It's clear that you know that because you mention the German/Irish mix, but people mainly think of "Anglo-Saxon" as the English heritage which isn't true at all. These two different Germanic tribes brought quite a bit of new stuff over to the islands that were fairly new. This included language and so on. Britons and I believe Celts were those from Ireland who spoke Gaelic mixed lots with Angles and Saxons over time making the English people we see today. It's not surprising that the Britons and the Celts show up more on an Englishman's DNA test over a Germanic tribe. Otherwise more German would show up.

Also the Angles and the Saxons were probably seriously outnumbered during that time. The different groups engaged in lots of wars over English history and at that time traveling by sea was a daunting and dangerous adventure, even though the NW part of Germany isn't really that far.

Ancient brythonic peoples, britons, gaellic and the picts were and always have been the majority of british ancestry. Anglo-saxons brough more language and culture, being the ruling elite, rather than being a population replacement of natives. They newcomers were seriously outnumbered by the already existing native population. Most of british origin comes from atlantic seaboard hunter-gatherers. And the Slavic and germanic tribes moves from east/north-east europe towards central and northern europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.