Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:04 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,395 times

Advertisements

My ancestry- Taiwanese.

Both my parents were born in Taiwan. I was born in the US, as my 2 brothers were.

My father's side of the family has been in Taiwan for 8-9 generations. Before that we had ancestors from Zhangzhou, Fujian Province, China (in southeastern China) who migrated to Taiwan during the Qing Dynasty (sometime in the late 1700's-early 1800's). I believe my mother's side of the family also has been in Taiwan for similar length of Taiwan, also from Zhangzhou, Fujian Province, China before, but probably a different village area. My ancestry probably includes Southern Han Chinese mixed with some Taiwanese Plains Aborigines (who were living in Taiwan in the western Plains before the Chinese moved in). While the Southern Han Chinese are also a descendant of a mix from Han from Central Plains of China who migrated to southeastern China where Fujian Province, China and intermarried with the non-Han natives living there (Austronesians, Daic and Miao people).

I know I am going into more detail- but just makes it more interesting when you do. But, my heritage is from Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 04:42 AM

32,935 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I know this opinion my trigger some people, but the English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh are all the same. Very closely related to the Germans, Dutch, etc.
Not exactly news.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I know this opinion my trigger some people, but the English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh are all the same. Very closely related to the Germans, Dutch, etc.
Not necessarily in terms of DNA definitely not in terms of culture. Genetically the Dutch and German are the same, the English, Scottish and Welsh are the same and the Irish are their own thing. Culturally, they're very different.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:11 AM

226 posts, read 280,691 times
By DNA results where 65% Great Britain, 11% Scandinavian, 7% Irish rest jewish, east europeon, north african

Old 11-12-2016, 03:59 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Not necessarily in terms of DNA definitely not in terms of culture. Genetically the Dutch and German are the same, the English, Scottish and Welsh are the same and the Irish are their own thing. Culturally, they're very different.
I've read that the Dutch are genetically close to the English.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:09 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
The English are 78% Brythonic, and the same as other Britons. The Dutch are thoroughly Germsnic and look it, does Gus Huddink, Rud Van Nistelroy, Marco Van Basten, Dennis Bergkp look English/British of course not

Old 11-12-2016, 05:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Northern European - Scottish, Dutch, Germanic, Scandinavian, English. In other words, I'm a Viking.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:45 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
Viking- Celt-Pict

Old 11-12-2016, 09:35 PM

32,935 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Mom's side:
Mexican(with basque and Spanish ancestry way further down the line)

Dad's side:
German(with a tiny bit of Swiss German thrown in), Norwegian, English, Irish, French.

VERY rough estimate:
50% Mexican, 12.5% German, 12.5% Norwegian, 18% English, 3% French, less than 4% Irish/other random stuff I don't know about.

My surname is German.

The Irish/English is harder to determine since I had ancestors way back in the 1600s who left England for Ireland. I'm a direct descendant of this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine_Hollingsworth Pretty cool!
Cool! Mom told told me that we were somehow related to one of those guys involved with the Liberty Bell and a long ago famous author. 1800s in England. Doesn't buy me a cup of coffee.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I've read that the Dutch are genetically close to the English.
The Dutch language is the closest to English.

I am of Dutch and English descent*. I don't speak Dutch because my family got here five+ generations ago, but I was in Amsterdam last year and the signs are easy enough to read even if I don't understand the spoken language.

*That is to say we know exactly where our ancestors emigrated from; however, the DNA shows up with 67% British Isles, 17% Scandinavian, some "Western European", whatever that means, 3% Iberian Peninsula, and 1 percent each of Asia Minor and Finnish.

Basically, we are white people. Nothing too exotic, but at least we know now why my mother's Dutch family had a Spanish-sounding last name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.