Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Sounds like NE Louisiana.
Louisiana is a poster child for this thread. Northlooziana is protestant and Anglosaxon region of dry-parish dirt farmers who go to Branson more often than New Orleans. South Louisiana is catholic and Mediterranean hunter-gatherers and offshore riggers who eat spicy food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Upper and Lower Michigan are on different continents and speak different languages.
What on earth are you talking about?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Upper and Lower Michigan are on different continents and speak different languages.

It's been a long time since anybody has thought that Los Angeles and San Francisco are in the same state, or even on the same planet.

One third of Colorado is a state that looks like Kansas.

North of Gainesville, people call it The Real Florida.

Every state that has an Appalachian region refers to that part as being in a "state" of Appalachia, which on some issues enjoys federal status. Or, for example with some colleges giving "residence" status to students from any state's Appalachia, rather than from within the state. In Maryland, that is contemptuously referred to as Garrett County, which is like an undeveloped overseas colony where people should not be allowed to call themselves Marylanders although technically, one supposed, they could be.
You are surprised nobody has mentioned the Upper and Lower Michigan are on different continents and speak different languages?

I'm not.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
The traditional dividing line in Pennsylvania has always been Blue Mountain, although with the changes happening in northeastern Pennsylvania, I-81 might be a better line today. Places to the east of that line are more aligned with the Northeast megalopolis, and places to the west are more aligned with the northern Appalachian Mountains.

There are other dividing lines, though. I-80 separates the northern tier from the rest of the state, which is more quintessential Pennsylvania. Chestnut Ridge separates the greater Pittsburgh area from the mountains, and the Allegheny Front is a hard line between western and central Pennsylvania.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
There is definitely a north, central and southern California.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There is definitely a north, central and southern California.
True, and there was a movement, (not sure if it is still alive), for far Northern California to succeed from the rest of California to form the new State of Jefferson.

I've always thought that Northern CA, and Southern CA should be two seperate states with the border somewhere south of Salinas. It really doesn't have any chance of happening, on the other hand, with CA's state of affairs, why not? (of course, this is just fantasy...or is it...)

Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The traditional dividing line in Pennsylvania has always been Blue Mountain, although with the changes happening in northeastern Pennsylvania, I-81 might be a better line today. Places to the east of that line are more aligned with the Northeast megalopolis, and places to the west are more aligned with the northern Appalachian Mountains.

There are other dividing lines, though. I-80 separates the northern tier from the rest of the state, which is more quintessential Pennsylvania.
WTF? I agree with I-81 being a dividing line with PA but the I-80 comment is throwing me for a loop.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
New Hampshire could be split in two also. South of Concord and Portsmouth/Rochester is the Southern NH area which is at times coined Northern Mass as there are many little cities, suburbs, and bedroom communities that are closely linked to Mass by commuting and shopping (NHites commute to Mass, people in Mass shop in NH with no sales tax). The real Granite state starts north of the Lakes Region or West of the Merrimack Valley.

New Hampshire does have regions and those are not them. I am pretty sure 99% of the people who live in southern NH do not want to be linked To Taxachusetts in anyway shape or form.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Texas due to size and located between the South, the Midwest, the West and Mexico has many regions that are very different. When someone calls Tx definately a southern city, I would love to take them to El Paso or West Tx to see wht they think. Oklahoma also is different from East vs West. West is where the land rush was used to settle the more plains type land there. In eastern Ok its greener and full of hills. SE oklahoma has a surplus of water where western Ok was dust bowl. Pa seemed very different Pitt vs Philly when I lived there. So I think it might be very common. but might be wrong..
Drop the Midwest act already, please, you're embarrassing yourself. Texas is NOT the Midwest in any way, shape, or form. Culturally, demographically, or linguistically. I am from the Midwest, and I can tell you point blank that even the Texas Panhandle is the South. West Texas may not be completely southern, but the southern influences extend into Eastern New Mexico. over 70% of Texans consider themselves to be southern according to a detailed study done by the UNC.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM

374 posts, read 812,442 times
NW Arkansas, specifically The Fayettville/Bentonville/Springdale area is completely different from the rest of the state. It seems like a big neatly paved suburb. And the average person you run into is either from Texas or California or the North. Still, it's a beautiful area with nice people. The accent isn't as strong as in the rest of the state, due to all the transplants. North Central Arkansas and the Ozark foothills are kind of like middle Tennessee or Kentucky with Western influences. Like a cross between Kentucky and Texas. Also, everywhere south of Little Rock might as well be Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.