Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,462,900 times

Advertisements

Nashville is a perfect mid sized city with a good economy and jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,278 times
Wow this is really helpful. Thanks guys!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
I would not suggest Huntsville. It's a great town for families, but not much for the singles scene. Nashville...Atlanta...Birmingham (yes, Birmingham)...Chattanooga...Charlotte...Raleigh... possibly Mobile.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:04 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,348 times
NOLA is number 1 for singles I believe from the Travel and Leisure poll

Old 04-09-2012, 01:06 AM

546 posts, read 1,176,366 times
I think Oaklahoma City would be a good match for you. I think it is quite conservative and it offers some nightlife options I think, but it is more geared towards families but I think it does offer nightlife. What I know is that it is amongst the cheapest to rent in the nation, it has low crime, and low traffic. HOWEVER Oaklahoma City doesn't isn't close to any big bodies of water, so you can understand why it is very inexpensive but from what I hear despite that it is a very desirable place to live because has many cultural amenities, not so many people who live there and is very affordable so you may fall in love with it if you can accept not having water nearby. I know it is not technically "in the South" but it is somewhat similar to Southern conservative culture.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEEi8ylWACs&list=UU7hDXuFcGCDBbqCNs3x7BJQ& index=63&feature=plpp_video

Also, do you think Washington DC or a bit south of it would be a good bet? I am not sure what constitutes a small-mid sized city to you but I heard there are a lot of jobs there and it also has a good economy because of the presence of the federal government, it can be somewhat pricey but still considerably less costly than big cities and it has great nightlife with lots of young people. Washington DC seems to be on the border between the North and South, and if you're conservative you're bound to find a lot of like-minded people there. Do you consider Washington to be Northern or Southern? I know there was a thread like that once somewhere, but I personally think it'd be culturally Southern enough for you even if it is built similarly to a Northeastern city. If you are going to make good money or are fine with living with a roommate or having a small apartment, I'd choose Washington DC for its nightlife and vibrancy. If you really like affordability, then Oaklahoma City which is quite conservative yet it still seems have adequate nightlife.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,431 times
Nashville, Memphis, Austin, Louisville, Lexington, Atlanta, Richmond, New Orleans, Charleston (SC), Miami, Charlotte, and Dallas all come to mind.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Let's see --- a southern city that is warm, conservative, and has a hospital. I'm stumped.

I wonder if there are any home-town rooters here who will send you links to their city's chamber of commerce website.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,514,671 times
Norfolk/Va Beach is a pretty conservative area with good medical care (Sentara Healthcare mostly). Summers are hot/humid and winters are quite mild. And if you like the beach, there you go. Williamsburg is a smaller historic town about an hour north, DC is 3 hours north as well as the OBX (oops Outer Banks) being about 2 hours south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.