Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,671 times

Advertisements

my wife and I are looking for states asides from our home state California that are good for our professions. She's doing nursing and I am doing computer engineering. She likes Henderson Nevada. I don't see myself roasting in the dessert heat. Please anyone, anybody...give me some suggestions please!!!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antojohn10 View Post
my wife and I are looking for states asides from our home state California that are good for our professions. She's doing nursing and I am doing computer engineering. She likes Henderson Nevada. I don't see myself roasting in the dessert heat. Please anyone, anybody...give me some suggestions please!!!

Thanks in advance
She should be fine anywhere in NY. Computer Engineers should be good as well. There are companies in Upstate NY like Lockheed Martin, Syracuse Research Corporation and others that could work. This may help too: Central New York Jobs

New York's Tech Valley

New York State Hospital Profile (Just click on a county)

Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,686 times
Both professions are in very high demand in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Indiana has a major presence in the medical field establishment
The Indianapolis area has IU Health and Riley Childrens Hospital network and Wishard memorial health which is getting a new facuility next year thats state of the art.
Cost of living in Indianapolis is the lowest of any major US city and 20% below the national average. Plus we have the nations most affordable housing market.
Technology wise there are many startups that have just recently made IPOs in the Indianapolis area.
a few that come to mind are ExactTarget, Angie's List, Also Alison Transmission just made an IPO a few weeks ago.
Hoosier hospitality also is amazing and everyone is very friendly here
The thing i enjoy most about Indy is its location. Its within a days drive to 75% of the US population.
Chicago/St Louis are 3 hours away and Cincy is 1.5 hours and Louisville is 2 hours.
Also this year we hosted Super Bowl 46 and there is already calls for another bid in 2018 or 2020. Which would make Indy the FIRST Northern city to be on the Super Bowl host rotation list.
Not many places get to host the Super Bowl and i have to say Super bowl 46 was a blast so much to do.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antojohn10 View Post

Thanks in advance
Healthcare is an Indianapolis staple but at times can get saturated but for the most part she should be able to find good work esp. at a place like Riley (hard being a nurse there when it comes to sick kids). Computer Engineering is pretty broad and spans multiple job categories. Anything specific? You may also be able to work remotely depending on what you do.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:18 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Healthcare is an Indianapolis staple but at times can get saturated but for the most part she should be able to find good work esp. at a place like Riley (hard being a nurse there when it comes to sick kids). Computer Engineering is pretty broad and spans multiple job categories. Anything specific? You may also be able to work remotely depending on what you do.
Ya i agree Msam
Technology is a broad term.
it could be Technology on the computer
Or technology/engineering at the factory.
etc.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Michigan seems to have a constant growing healthcare industry most anywhere in the lower half of the state so I'd expect it'd be quite easy for your wife to find a job.

Computer engineering is big for the auto industry, but there's also non-auto industry related IT growth. Twitter just announced that they're opening an office in Detroit, and Google has an office within the metro area and in Ann Arbor. There's also a few small IT companies located in Detroit that have moved in recently and will surely grow into the future.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Texas, specifically D/FW & Houston.

You may also find the Austin area of interest however nurses don't get paid as much there & cost of living is the highest in the state though nothing like you're used to in Cali.

Moving from California I'd say Texas would be the easiest state to adapt to since both share lots of similarities & differences.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Nursing is big almost everywhere. It is a growth profession due to the aging of the population.

Computer technology has been growing in many areas, but the Bay Area of CA, and the Seattle area still are the leaders.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,313 times
Which states are good for nursing can be looked at in different ways, depending on what's important to you: Ease of obtaining a job, best pay, best nurse to patient ratios, etc. Experienced nurses can find work nearly anywhere, while new grads can have trouble finding something in some markets. The areas with the best pay usually come with a higher cost of living (i.e. CA), so that's something to weigh, also. A lot of nurses take jobs as travel nurses, to allow them to investigate areas without committing to them, long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.