Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
A) That's not irony.
B) So what? I'm speaking about C-D in general.

And, suggesting ways the OP can find the city of their dreams.
Thanks for your stellar contribution to the topic at hand though. lol.
As usual.

Case and point: How long have you been here promoting New York cities?
Hmmmmm. As long as I can remember...

Again, it is ironic because your initial post supports the suggestion I gave of a diverse, college town that happens to be in NY and the Northeast. Then, the fact that she has been there and her father attended college there may be icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 PM

603 posts, read 966,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicadwr View Post
I'm planning on moving at the end of this year. Currently I live in Utah, while SLC is a pretty fun city, it is king of stagnate with the same "culture" of people (I want some diversity!). I need a change, and a drastic one! Being a young adult college grad I LOVE the night life. I'm not looking for a mate (already have one) but looking for the kind of place that offers a great bar selection with lots of people my age that like to have a good time. I am also very outdoorsy and would like a place that you can rent a real house for a decent price. Colorado has been calling my name for a number of years, but it's too close to home, I want something a little more... away. I am not interested in big cities like NYC, Portland, Boston, ect. While I know they offer the best nightlife, I really just don't like cities that big. SLC in Utah is a pretty good sized city honestly. I want the funnest small city I can find. Although I would consider other areas I do have my heart set on moving east, I am sick of the west, plus that's about as away as I can get . Really the northeast is my top choice. I like the size of portland maine, and burlington vermont, but I don't know what else the NE area has to offer, or the what the rest of the US has to offer. I am open to the north west also. Anyone have some good first hand experience of what small city would offer me the most of what I am looking for?

So basically, OP, you want a college town (which by definition is small), close to outdoor recreation, decent cost of living.

Hmmm, the thing is you'd be hard pressed to find someone with 'first hand knowledge' of a wide variety of towns with all these characteristics. Fortunately for you, these things are quantifiable! There are a few books out there, Places Rated Almanac, Best Cities, etc. And, again, if you just make a list of 4 or 5 really important things you're looking for in a city (as you have) then narrow down your search one by one.

This is how this book does it at least. Has a chart and quiz at the front and everything.

Of course, it's 5 years old. And, for some reason, I cannot get any response from the author about when the follow up will be out. For a while it was available for pre-order on Amazon. But, mysteriously, that disappeared.

I've found that many forums are filled with hearsay and personal experiences, not hard stats.
Each is useful in it's own way I guess. LOL. So, if you already know this, never mind my blathering.

Good luck to you in your search!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Savannah is a great city to look at. It has the Savannah College of Art & Design based throughout its downtown. Plenty of drinking spots. Heck, it is one of the top 5 St. Patricks Day locations in the world!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Traverse City, Michigan.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Traverse City, Michigan.
As far as Michigan, East Lansing and Ann Arbor also come to mind(and I have actually been to both).

Oswego NY is another small city with a college that may work, as there are plenty of bars and it is right on Lake Ontario. Access to the Adirondacks, the Finger Lakes and the 1000 Islands region is a short drive away too.

Oneonta NY is similar to Oswego, but is on the Susquehanna River and is in the foothills of the Catskills.

BTW-I actually atended college in both East Lansing and Oswego.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:32 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
Shame you said no to CO, because Boulder would be perfect.

A couple options:

Providence, RI
Madison, WI
Manchester, NH
Burlington, VT
Lawrence, KS
Asheville, NC

Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Shame you said no to CO, because Boulder would be perfect.

A couple options:

Providence, RI
Madison, WI
Manchester, NH
Burlington, VT
Lawrence, KS
Asheville, NC
Providence, RI - yes
Madison, WI - nice
Manchester, NH - Oh god NO!!! What a dump. Portsmouth is the one to go with in NH.
Burlington, VT - awesome
Lawrence, KS - ???
Asheville, NC - very nice

Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I've heard Knoxville has some great nightlife but I wouldn't know. I'm usually getting ready for bed by 10 pm :-).

Check out the entertainment section of metropulse.com for listings.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM

25 posts, read 83,271 times
Thanks for the ideas, honestly never thought about a number of places you guys listed. Glad I will have more options to choose from! Thanks!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM

What is the population range for a city you would consider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.