Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM

605 posts, read 1,165,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Probably Boston..they're not just white, they're white-white (ie, Conan O'Brien).
Boston is a 1/4 African-American and with pretty significant Hispanic, Brazilian, and Asian populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Most urban centers are not >85% white. They are just not unless you are talking about someplace like Norman OK. Which is why upper New England states came to mind for me.
Actually Norman isnt 85% white either.

US2010

I still think if we are talking only major cities, it doesnt get a whole lot more "white" than Portland.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Actually Norman isnt 85% white either.

US2010
lol Point in case.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
New York City.

In terms of raw numbers it's got the most white people in the country. Just as we've established on previous threads that having the most Asians makes it the most Asian place in the country, the capital of White America should be the place with the most whities.

NYC has also given the world the following things that white people love:

The Late Show with David Letterman
Rudy Giuliani
New York-style pizza
Williamsburg, Brooklyn
"I Love New York" T-shirts

It's either that or the cultural mecca of Branson, Missouri(The Florence, Italy of White America so to speak)...

But for the OP, I suggest Lake Oswego, Oregon or somewhere in Vermont.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
If you look at the metropolitan area as a whole Twin Cities of MN are still very white. Almost 85% of the 3.5 million people there are white. Even Minneapolis and St. Paul, despite recent immigration waves and migration by blacks and Hispanics from other states, are still about 60% white.

The region is also quite prosperous and well educated.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM

344 posts, read 841,710 times
Quote:
I disagree. First off, if you paid attention, it's a "she". Secondly, she listed her desires in the first thread:
i am looking for cities that have (all) 4 things

1-hardly any black people (85+% white? just guessing)

2-upper middle class living and/or values are the majority (i.e. philly is working class)

3-is tolerant of, doesnt think anything of, or embraces interracial couples

4-a city where people act as if they get their needs met, or tend to repor a high quality of life. (i.e. rochester ny or philly are perfect examples of he opposite. people are threatened by the idea of someone other than them succeeding in ANYTHING)
Most urban centers are not >85% white. They are just not unless you are talking about someplace like Norman OK. Which is why upper New England states came to mind for me.

Serpent, since I'm posting again, I can't resist...If you do visit you HAVE to hit up Colby's for breakfast. Just a little hole in the wall cafe', a little "crunchy" but warm and cozy with the BEST breakfast you will ever eat.

thank you so much. you have been extremely helpful. and thanks to everyone else who took this seriously and chose to be helpful in me getting my needs met as opposed to being critical. if you received reputations on this post, its likely from me!
...like saying, i like strawberries. this doesnt make me prime for criticism, it makes me hungry. "you want your needs met. must be something wrong with you" lololololol. i like ketchup. you are crazy for liking mustard. anyways

Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM

344 posts, read 841,710 times
JViello
thanks again. and thanks for observing that this was far more than about "white". seems like most people saw white and only white in my OP
crunchy is my world. i cannot wait to check out your suggestions in person. this has been extremely helpful!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
If you look at the metropolitan area as a whole Twin Cities of MN are still very white. Almost 85% of the 3.5 million people there are white. Even Minneapolis and St. Paul, despite recent immigration waves and migration by blacks and Hispanics from other states, are still about 60% white.

The region is also quite prosperous and well educated.
Minneapolis-St. Paul does have one of the fastest growing African populations in the US (faster than Atlanta or Houston) not to mention the largest Hmong population in the US. However, it is still very much one of the whitest metro areas in the US.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
In a two party, two color system I can how it's easy to hear "conservative" and that's that. The reality is New Hampshire (And most of ME) is "live free or die". More libertarian than anything.

I think it's more literally "content of character" thing. You won't find people looking at you funny. Just the opposite IMHO. However you show up in a Lexus with 22" wheels, blacked out windows and step out looking like this with 50 cent or whatever booming...expect some resistance.

I would say the same thing if it was "white thugs". It's more cultural than color IMHO.

You'd be 4 hours from Montreal, 3ish to NYC, 1 hour to Boston, less than 1 hour to the White Mountains (Breathtaking), and on the seacoast etc.

IMHO you just find things in a city like Portsmouth that you have a hard time finding in a lot of smaller American cities. Places like European style cafe's, art galleries, unique shops etc etc. It has a colonial/european feel to it.

You can pop down a side alley and find something like this:

Anyhow, I won't bore you with more minutia but would definitely take a peek. BTW, I don't live there but spend a lot of time in NH. I live in CT.

Eh, don't sweat it...I think most of us get what you are saying. It's a cultural thing and not a color thing per say. It's a shame that we've gotten to the point that you can't say "white" without all hell breaking loose. It's no different than someone saying "I want to live in an Asian community" or whatever.

lol Hey I did say there was about 3% of "others" living there.
If it's really live free or die, than why would they show resistance if someone decided to step out the ride with jewels, braided hair, tattoos, glasses and the like. I thought this was America? Land of the free?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Probably Boston..they're not just white, they're white-white (ie, Conan O'Brien).
that is so wrong, nobody who's been to boston would say that. maybe some small parts like the north end are mostly white, but not the rest of the city.

i think these are fairly accurate. and the other part is the suburbs, boston's surrounded by some very diverse suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City