Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

^^That's what all the telecom/high tech people here in CO say about the coasts. Here for the most part, one can get off work by 5:30 or 6:00 and home for dinner. There's a reason Google serves all those free meals. They want you to keep working. I have no idea how a single parent does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 12:32 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
I've lived in New York City and in DC. I've also lived on the West Coast. Night and day.

At this point, I wouldn't live anywhere on the East Coast, even if it was free. I know better.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times

Old 12-24-2013, 04:49 PM

132 posts, read 206,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The West is more hipster. The East is more hippie.
Sorry, but no offense that you got it mixed up.

The West is more HIPPIE & the East is more HIPSTER.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:21 PM

29 posts, read 34,956 times
I really like them both.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
I prefer the Western lifestyle because it revolves more around the outdoors and is more relaxed. The East Coast is nice for visiting, but I detest the weather out there for the most part.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:04 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
I haven't seen enough of the East Coast to give an opinion about there. But I like how people are very casual here in Phoenix, and a lot of SoCal. Difference between somewhat inland West and coastal West is that the inland West isn't pretentious. That "fake" vibe some people were talking about? Most of those people thrive in LA, SF, Seattle so get out of those cities and you will stop meeting those people, on average. I am going to take a guess that NYC and Boston also has a lot of "fake" people. All five of these cities are great cities, with a lot of high class people, and a lot of people trying to be high class and climb the ladder, more so than my assumption of the inland cities. Even San Bernardino has less pretentious people than those in Santa Monica.

This exists in every town on the WC; closer to water or active parts of town, the richer and more materialistic you are (generally). For the entire Western states, these only exist on the Pacific coast (or very close to it). Denver is the only one successfully changing this dynamic. They are getting a nightlife, a demand for people to move there (outside of its outdoors), etc. LV is too sleepy outside of the Strip, and Phoenix is too sleepy all around as well.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:13 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Interesting discussion. I was born and raised in the east and have lived in the west for quite some time. There is a big difference in lifestyles between the coasts. Geographical, cultural and economic history plays a role in all of this. The east, as has been stated, is definitely more formal. Growing up in New England you definitely felt the effects of the puritans. Even though society has evolved, that influence is still a part of the culture, hence, the formality. The west, much of which was at one time a part of Mexico, has a different vibe altogether. Known for the gold rushes and wide open spaces the west is where families migrated to claim land. Frontier living was a direct contrast to life in the east where the population was more dense, especially in the cities. The west was not as developed and afforded families more autonomy and individuality. Places like Los Angeles San Francisco, Portland and Seattle were the exceptions.

In the east, people tend to be more social and confrontational as part of the culture, whereas in the west people are more laid back and have a "live and let live" attitude. This attitude can sometimes come off as indifferent or non caring, which certainly isn't always the case. I have learned to appreciate both areas for what they are and what they offer.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,292 times
I think part of it is the weather differences too. Suits and formal attire are not nearly as practical in many parts of the West. For example, our offices in Arizona have different "summer attire" guidelines than our offices in the Pac NW (no offices outside the Western US, so can't make an East vs West comparison). There's simply only so much clothing that one can wear when its 100 + degrees out, and we are allowed to wear polos, capris, and open toed shoes during the hotter months.

From what I have seen of the East Coast on my visits, I definitely feel that it's more formal than the Western US. In my line of work we have constant interactions with the public, and have a "business casual" dress code. However, our version of business casual is still probably more casual even than an East Coast version of the same concept. For example, we are allowed to wear ballet flats, boots, bright nail polish, flashy statement jewelry, etc. as long as we have dress pants and a button down blouse on. My sister and boyfriend both work in cubicle environments and can pretty much wear whatever they want. My boyfriend wears shorts and t-shirts to work year round, and switches it up to jeans only on the coldest few days of the year.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
I think part of it is the weather differences too. Suits and formal attire are not nearly as practical in many parts of the West. For example, our offices in Arizona have different "summer attire" guidelines than our offices in the Pac NW (no offices outside the Western US, so can't make an East vs West comparison). There's simply only so much clothing that one can wear when its 100 + degrees out, and we are allowed to wear polos, capris, and open toed shoes during the hotter months.

From what I have seen of the East Coast on my visits, I definitely feel that it's more formal than the Western US. In my line of work we have constant interactions with the public, and have a "business casual" dress code. However, our version of business casual is still probably more casual even than an East Coast version of the same concept. For example, we are allowed to wear ballet flats, boots, bright nail polish, flashy statement jewelry, etc. as long as we have dress pants and a button down blouse on. My sister and boyfriend both work in cubicle environments and can pretty much wear whatever they want. My boyfriend wears shorts and t-shirts to work year round, and switches it up to jeans only on the coldest few days of the year.
You think we can't out here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.