Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 PM

4,166 posts, read 6,289,510 times

Advertisements

No one likes to be "put-down." But the truth is that everyone isn't going to "fall in love" with us. And everyone isn't going to "be in love" with where we live either!...This is just reality. We all have different "needs" and tastes and preferences...Some people take things very "personally" and get defensive if anyone dares to say anything they perceive to be "negative" about their area. Have you noticed this?...CD is basically a place where we can gain information and "compare notes" about different regions of the USA and world...Why do you think that some people have such a "do or die" mentality about where they live? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 PM

719 posts, read 1,546,057 times
Maybe it's simply going overboard on civic pride? Or maybe some people just have the personality trait that they have to be right all the time. Have to have the last word in any argument. I mean you look at these boards and it's in every state, city and sub-forum. Time after time people on one side saying XYZ is by far better than ABC and then you see the exact opposite argument from someone else.
I hate the heat. Others love the heat. Just that simple difference can put us at opposite ends of an argument. Live and let live I say.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,681,613 times
Some people are overboard with civic pride like mentioned above.... But in many situations what the bashers say is simply not true.
If somebody says "I'm not a fan of cold weather, so I moved".. fine
But many people will make things up such as "it's a blizzard 9 months out of the year and all of the people are horrible, etc" which isn't true. I see it all the time on this forum.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM

719 posts, read 1,546,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Some people are overboard with civic pride like mentioned above.... But in many situations what the bashers say is simply not true.
If somebody says "I'm not a fan of cold weather, so I moved".. fine
But many people will make things up such as "it's a blizzard 9 months out of the year and all of the people are horrible, etc" which isn't true. I see it all the time on this forum.
Very true Garmin. Thats a whole separate group altogether - those people that just seem to enjoy "flaming" a board. I believe they are just trying to see how big a reaction they can get. Likely immature, lonely people with lower self esteem to begin with in "real life". Then add relative annonymity of internet and you have the makings of a troll, cyber-bully, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,866,773 times
Some places are liked or disliked in an average way. Some places are places most people don't have much of an opinion about, usually. Then there are some places that are despised, nationally, and by their own state (like Phoenix, for instance),and the locals feel on the defense on CD, like when you're constantly told your city should not exist.

People in Portland or NYC routinely make their city out to be the best there is all the time, and the consensus usually bows down to the popular spots. Some other cities proud locals have to correct misconceptions and slander before just being able to have a normal discussion about their town.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,517,064 times
OP great post.

In general, some places are not for everyone, but the gung-ho attitude is what is particularly irking. If someone posts legitimate facts on quality of life and say, what their energy bills are, forums are for people to get helpful relocation info.

yet some get very defensive and their hair stands on end if actual facts are posted.

looking at factual data, I like to come here for info and statistics, not to hear about the local football team,lol.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,517,064 times
I know people who live in NY and dont act like its all that, they can admit it has obvious issues. Its called maturity.

I dont know many states in the west but some southern state forums people are extremely defensive. Hence they get less traffic, since facts are not posted.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,194,459 times
I think this forum provides an outlet for several passive-aggressive individuals who avoid conflict in the "real" world and instead use this space to work out their frustrations - anonymously.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 PM

344 posts, read 838,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
No one likes to be "put-down." But the truth is that everyone isn't going to "fall in love" with us. And everyone isn't going to "be in love" with where we live either!...This is just reality. We all have different "needs" and tastes and preferences...Some people take things very "personally" and get defensive if anyone dares to say anything they perceive to be "negative" about their area. Have you noticed this?...CD is basically a place where we can gain information and "compare notes" about different regions of the USA and world...Why do you think that some people have such a "do or die" mentality about where they live? Thanks.
this should be posted weekly i imagine. this is dead on for my recent thread asking about the capitol of white america...to of course get my needs met. and or course, if strawberry ice cream is what you like, its NOT to be served to you, yet criticized. i mean we are in america, yes? what a joke ppl are

Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,603,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Because there are people who have to post something negative about an area every day even though they may never have actually been there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.