Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 AM

278 posts, read 1,002,032 times

Advertisements

I've been searching for that right spot for 2 yrs.. Can you all help me with this??? I want to live off the land as much as possible.. possibly get off-grid too
Here are some of my requirements...

*Low humidity or mild climate
*Mountains
*Water nearby or on property
*Green landscape (no desert)
*Close enough to work in the nearby city but far enough away to have it private
* Good soil for gardening
*Winter temps above 30 and less the 20" of snow

*** Be able to start a few businesses (thai/sushi restaurant and construction)

I thought I had it narrowed down to NW Arkansas and Idaho... but there is so much to choose from...

Please tell me where might fit the bill and if you have any experiences with that area.. Thanks so much on helping me with my search... This site is just awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM

27 posts, read 98,031 times
We, too, have been searching for a suitable location similar to what you describe. We don't mind getting a little cold in the winter, and we do not necessarily have to be near any large city; but we do want 10+ acres.

We, too, like NW Arkansas (Eureka Springs, Bentonville, and Rogers areas). The Ozark, Missouri area is nice, too. We also would love to move to New Hampshire, but we just can't stomach the property taxes there!

Good luck on your search!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
NW Arkansas has very high humidity, as does most places east of the Rockies. Some people might say that it's not as bad as other parts of Arkansas, but there really isn't that noticeable a difference.
In the summer, it goes from mild to downright hot. Arkansas has historically been a very rough state for business, Wal-Mart excluded. Other than that, it probably fits your criteria well enough.
No place is going to have everything.
Southern Missouri is similar, with the Springfield region being one of the nicer areas.
Personally, Idaho sounds much more appealing.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
oregon and nor cal...

Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
u think there is demand for thai and sushi in arkansas? ?loll

Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
u think there is demand for thai and sushi in arkansas? ?loll
I'm always up for a good jab at Arkansas, but you have obviously have no clue about the place. No offense.
Yes, they eat pretty much everything... too much, in fact...

Old 04-20-2009, 01:39 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,185,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
*Low humidity or mild climate
*Green landscape (no desert)
I'm no expert on such things, but it seems like 'Low humidity' and 'no desert' are two diametrically opposed prerequisites.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
oregon and nor cal...
Yeah, if I were ever going to go self sufficient, I'd do it around that area.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:33 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,683,258 times
Yeah I was thinking the Sacramento area out in the country or somewhere else in NorCal/Oregon.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I'm no expert on such things, but it seems like 'Low humidity' and 'no desert' are two diametrically opposed prerequisites.
That's what I thought immediately, also. Personally, I'd give up humidity and take the desert.

I'm going to try to say, for the original poster, go with somewhere just west of the Rockies, from like Northern Utah out to Reno, NV, up into Eastern Washington and through Idaho and even the western part of Wyoming.

Or, possibly better, northern Arizona which gets enough rain and snowfall to be a little green in the mountainous areas.

Of course, with all of those comes a not-so-mild climate but still pretty mild (just a little snow), and a little bit of a desert type of landscape which isn't as green as you might want.

I just don't think there is a such a place where it can be both non-desert AND have a perfectly mild climate, AND be out in the middle of nowhere.

One other suggestion but it's not so isolated or "live of the land"-ish because of its proximity to a major population center, but that would be So. Cal, from the Anzo-Borrega forest/mountains area up through the Desert cities. Yes, it's desert but they are irrigated...

I don't know what else to tell you. I think if such a place did exist, it wouldn't be isolated and private for too long at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.