Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 11:27 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,192,487 times

Advertisements

New York just announced a new ferry line between Staten Island and Midtown, adding to the growing NYC ferry transportation system. It’s definitely a secondary transportation system compared to the train-based systems, but it has been growing in size and popularity in recent years. The island layout of NYC obviously helps a lot.

And that got me thinking about ferry services and other water-based transportation systems and the fact that they don’t seem to be common at all in North America. It’s a really fun and enjoyable way to get around, and you don’t have to deal with traffic jams the way you do in a bus or car on the streets.

Honestly, I’m not aware of any other water-based local public transit systems in The US or North America at all… thinking of cities with lots of water, I’m thinking that Miami, Seattle, San Francisco, and Vancouver have layouts that would be great. Do they have systems in place like this? Or anywhere else in North America? This information is surprisingly not very easy to find on Google, making me believe that they’re not very common in this part of the world, unfortunately.

This thread is mainly asking about local everyday public transit systems within one city or neighboring cities that function as the same metro (ex: NYC/Jersey City, SF/Oakland, Seattle/Bellevue, etc.), but longer-distance ferry services are welcome here as well. These can be ferry systems, water taxis, canal networks, or any local transportation system that uses waterways.

ALSO: which cities can benefit from a water-based public transportation system that lack them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 11:36 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,381,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Honestly, I’m not aware of any other water-based local public transit systems in The US or North America at all…
Washington state did have the largest ferry system in the country mainly centered around metro Seattle, with 25 million passengers a year prior to Covid. It has the second largest vehicular ferry system in the world. Public buses in Seattle drive onto these ferries.

Car ferry leaving downtown Seattle to Bainbridge (own photo)

Edit: I take my comment about NYC ferry back. Forgot about Staten Island and its free ferry line, that’s like 60k people a day. NYC has also really increased its passenger volume in recent years.

Last edited by Guineas; 08-24-2021 at 12:11 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 11:39 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,905,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Washington state has the largest ferry system in the country mainly centered around metro Seattle, with 25 million passengers a year prior to Covid. It has the second largest vehicular ferry system in the world. NYC ferry system is small potatoes compared to Seattle.
Not sure if you're being serious.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:41 PM

3,407 posts, read 2,210,704 times
Seattle would unchallenged here.

The only other cities outside of NYC I can think of are SF, Chicago & Baltimore’s river/harbor taxi’s but are 100% restricted to the cities core and are exclusively pedestrian.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:43 PM

3,407 posts, read 2,210,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Not sure if you're being serious.
Very serious. Something like ~65k use it daily (most of it centered around metro Seattle)

Old 08-23-2021, 11:44 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Seattle would unchallenged here. Like Guineas said, Seattle has the largest very system on the planet.

The only other cities I can think of are Chicago & Baltimore’s River/harbor taxi’s but they are by and large restricted to the cities core, not the great metro.
Boston has quite a few ferries. Between the NPS and MBTA ~4.5 million people use the ferry every year. Plus another 4 million on the Steamship Authority to the Islands (Private seasonal passenger ferries not included)

Seattle/WA excels because of loads of Islands who only have ferry connections to the mainland so few places can compete.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Very serious. Something like ~65k use it daily (most of it centered around metro Seattle)
How does that make NYC "small potatoes"? The Staten Island Ferry does that all by itself. And then you have NYC Ferry, NY Waterway, and NY Water Taxi. Total it's over 100,000 per day.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:50 PM

In the LA region, Long Beach operates a water taxi that is used by literally hundreds of people per day. But it's a real part of the transit system and you can use your TAP card.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:53 PM

626 posts, read 455,057 times
Around Miami people prefer to have their own personal boat transportation system.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:54 PM

8,730 posts, read 6,657,018 times
NYC does huge numbers of people. Seattle's superlatives are more about trips, routes, etc. I think about 5,000 walk off ferries at the Downtown terminal at morning rush hour, less than NYC.

Washington State Ferries (WSF?!) is the main system. Kitsap Transit and Metro Transit also run ferries.

PS, it's all accessible by roads too, aside from the San Juan Islands (any others?). But driving around takes a long time.

We're also the biggest cruise ship port on the West Coast. And we have a private company that does Victoria fast ferries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.