Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:33 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

There's plenty of McMansions in the Phoenix area! I don't personally mind them, I sort of like the conformity. Scottsdale, Chandler, and Gilbert all have their fair share of huge McMansions. I've sold plenty of them and they're especially popular with young families. I don't see why a family of 4 would need 4000-5000 sq ft but to each their own. My house is 2700 sq ft and it's large enough for me, I don't think I'd want something that was over 3000, I'd get lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There's plenty of McMansions in the Phoenix area! I don't personally mind them, I sort of like the conformity. Scottsdale, Chandler, and Gilbert all have their fair share of huge McMansions. I've sold plenty of them and they're especially popular with young families. I don't see why a family of 4 would need 4000-5000 sq ft but to each their own. My house is 2700 sq ft and it's large enough for me, I don't think I'd want something that was over 3000, I'd get lost!
Personally I would live in a McMansion once I had a family, but until then I will keep living in my little loft (550 SF). My sister on the other hand lives in a McMansion in Charlotte due to her having twins, runs her business out of the home and the parties her and my brother-in-law throw (I didn't know you can still be cool in your 40's ).

Criticizing someone for the size home they live in is very lame. I'm sure there are lots of people who would never consider living in such a small place that has nothing but concrete and brick as far as they eye can see.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Personally I would live in a McMansion once I had a family, but until then I will keep living in my little loft (550 SF). My sister on the other hand lives in a McMansion in Charlotte due to her having twins, runs her business out of the home and the parties her and my brother-in-law throw (I didn't know you can still be cool in your 40's ).

Criticizing someone for the size home they live in is very lame. I'm sure there are lots of people who would never consider living in such a small place that has nothing but concrete and brick as far as they eye can see.
I agree with that. I would never criticize someone for wanting smaller. It is the way they are happy and that's all that matters. Some of my daughters friends have smaller older homes and there is not a thing wrong with that. They are living in what they can afford and not over their heads which I think is dumb.
A Mcmansion in the south is what a 2200 sq foot house would be in NY or NJ, ANd if your selling one of those in the north, for taxes purposes you need to spend pretty close to what you made on that house. I had lots of Equaity on my house in NJ, and not much Mtg left.

Diane In Music City

Old 09-15-2007, 07:29 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I never quite understood why the plethora of middle-aged professional couples without children near me need 4,000 square-foot homes with 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, etc.
That is because they THOUGHT they could afford it because they want to show off.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Criticizing someone for the size home they live in is very lame.
As a consumer, if my fellow Americans are not utilizing our scarce economic resources to best obtain allocative efficiency, then I feel obligated to intervene. We have limited supplies of home heating oil. Knowing that part of the reason why demand is so high (hence higher prices) is due to people in McMansions having to heat their bonus rooms, media rooms, conservatories, etc. really irks me. THAT is social irresponsibility. We have limited supplies of potable water. Knowing that part of the reason why demand is so high is due to people in McMansions having to keep their large lawns watered, pools filled, fountains running, etc. really irks me. THAT is social irresponsibility. We have electrical prices that are continually skyrocketing due to a rising demand that is caused, in part, due to people indulging themselves in such large, excessive homes. THAT is social irresponsibility. The same could be said for those who opt to drive Hummers and Escalades, which increases our overall demand for gasoline, hence jacking up our prices. THAT is social irresponsibility.

Why should I sit here and realize that I'm paying a premium price for our scarce resources so that others can "live life how they see fit?" It seems quite a bit unfair to me that those of us who are trying to be environmentally- and socially-conscious are being punished for the excessiveness and gluttony of others who just don't quite "get it."

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 09-15-2007 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-16-2007, 12:39 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times
50/75 years from now many of these McMansion neighborhoods will probably be historic districts. Just give the trees a little time to grow!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
It seems quite a bit unfair to me that those of us who are trying to be environmentally- and socially-conscious are being punished for the excessiveness and gluttony of others who just don't quite "get it."
I applaud you for your contributions to a greener earth. However, remember that here in the land of the free, we all make our own life choices and endear particular causes that appeal to us.

In the case of my family, we'll take our "McMansion" (as you put it). I relish the thought of providing a wonderful place for my family and friends to enjoy life and togetherness. We work hard and relax easy, so the home is a reflection of our being. Interesting to note that we tend to stay home alot more on weekends and such, enjoying life here instead of running around driving, boating, and wasting discretionary dollars just to "get out of the house". (Hey maybe that makes me a little 'green'.)

I guess I can say it's unfair that my taxes are higher and I don't get tax breaks for buying hybrid cars and such. But we all make our choices.

Yep, I "get it", but we may have differing ideas of what "wasteful" is.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:07 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
As a consumer, if my fellow Americans are not utilizing our scarce economic resources to best obtain allocative efficiency, then I feel obligated to intervene. We have limited supplies of home heating oil. Knowing that part of the reason why demand is so high (hence higher prices) is due to people in McMansions having to heat their bonus rooms, media rooms, conservatories, etc. really irks me. THAT is social irresponsibility. We have limited supplies of potable water. Knowing that part of the reason why demand is so high is due to people in McMansions having to keep their large lawns watered, pools filled, fountains running, etc. really irks me. THAT is social irresponsibility. We have electrical prices that are continually skyrocketing due to a rising demand that is caused, in part, due to people indulging themselves in such large, excessive homes. THAT is social irresponsibility. The same could be said for those who opt to drive Hummers and Escalades, which increases our overall demand for gasoline, hence jacking up our prices. THAT is social irresponsibility.

Why should I sit here and realize that I'm paying a premium price for our scarce resources so that others can "live life how they see fit?" It seems quite a bit unfair to me that those of us who are trying to be environmentally- and socially-conscious are being punished for the excessiveness and gluttony of others who just don't quite "get it."
SWB, I appreciate the fact that you base your views on this subject on your personal ethics. I'd like to see those who disagree explain how their choices jibe with their personal ethics (Not "I do because I can". That's not ethics, that's an excuse.)

Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 AM

84 posts, read 86,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Cookie cutter is the least of it...as OP stated why do a childless couple need over 4000 square feet of living space...with endless rooms with stupid names..great room, keeper room et al especially if they are of your description..they are never home

Personally, most not all of the McMansion owners are responsible for the current mortgage crisis as MOST of them bought into homes that would have been unaffordable to them with out creative loans..or they fled south and are building up what used to be pristine lands there so as to afford their McMansion.

Nothing wrong with brand new..just keep it in perspective and what you can REALLY afford
The McMansions in your area must be very different from mine then.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarshield View Post
The McMansions in your area must be very different from mine then.
Naw they are pretty much cookie cutter if that's what you are referring to
all the same ..maybe different color siding...

I was getting a good laugh..as i actually SAW them being built..every day
I also saw what they were selling for...I'm still laughing At least the ones they chopped the woods down next to me to build on....

New owners are having a bit of a time with the bear..well hell you are living in the bears former home is what I tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.