Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 PM

72 posts, read 151,730 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old female from Ohio, looking to escape the dreary winters here and move either south, southwest, or the west. I am having a hard time finding a balance between warm areas and liberal mindsets. Any one have any suggestions? I have considered the bay area, but it might be a bit too cool, and hear the price of living is huge. I am very into health and wellness and enjoy a thriving art and music scene. I have seen lots of negative reviews on Florida. Thoughts?? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 03:06 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,894,022 times
I wonder if this thread should be in the US forum?
Anyway, I've lived in the California and Colorado locations. My remarks are generalizations, just a little something to go on.

San Francisco, California ~ Yes it is very expensive. Loved it though. Yes it can be cool. I actually was freezing in LA just last weekend.

Boulder, Colorado ~ Very liberal indeed, somewhat of a self-congratulatory trustafarian tone to the place. You might consider Ft Collins or Denver, more of a mix, a bit less pretentious. You will get snow, and it can be kind of brown, but the sunny winters are not that bad.

Florida is a wacky state and probably always will be, but I love it here. I have not lived in Sarasota but have visited, and heard good things about it. Other liberal places to consider are Tallahassee (beautiful rolling hills and canopy roads) and Gainesville. I spent two years in northwest Florida (6 years total) and am now in northeast Florida (north of Jacksonville) and it *is* possible to be liberal and survive here.

Never lived in New Mexico but often visited Santa Fe and Taos. It's just that employment might be a problem. Well, employment is probably a consideration for any of these places. Another idea is Austin, Texas.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 AM

414 posts, read 1,016,467 times
My advice:

Boulder, Colorado
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Moab, Utah (smaller for sure, though)
Asheville, NC

Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungProfessional9 View Post
I am a 26 year old female from Ohio, looking to escape the dreary winters here and move either south, southwest, or the west. I am having a hard time finding a balance between warm areas and liberal mindsets. Any one have any suggestions? I have considered the bay area, but it might be a bit too cool, and hear the price of living is huge. I am very into health and wellness and enjoy a thriving art and music scene. I have seen lots of negative reviews on Florida. Thoughts?? Thank you so much.
Well first of all, there might be better threads for you to post on, but as long as you are here, I would suggest Austin,Tx for starters. Of course the summers are brutal, but the winters are nice. Yes, there are several places in Ca but the cost of living is off the wall. The bay area would be warm conpared to Ohio. How about someplace like Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach Ca? Again you do have to think about the cost of living. Florida is a possibility. Ft Lauderdale would be my first thought. The rest of the south is pretty concervative or not liberal and the southwest is about the same. Albuquerque is a mixture.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM

7,021 posts, read 14,411,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungProfessional9 View Post
West:

You can start with Berkeley

Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM

4,781 posts, read 10,537,015 times
A'ville, NC area...summers aren't brutal, and winters are short/mildish. Lots of art, music, artsy fartsy stuff, young people, etc. Good scenery, outdoor stuff, and on and on.
The downside: not an employment mecca, and the pay will probably be less than you are used to.
GL, mD

Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,932,179 times
I'm a fiscal conservative, yet socially liberal....you can do your own thing almost anywhere.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM

Wow, thanks for the responses!! I am still trying to figure out this site.... Not sure how to move this post to another thread...

Anyways, great advice. I am warming up to the idea of moving to Texas. I hear Austin is great. As far as Cali...I think Manhattan beach and Santa Monica are going to be too expensive. I am a beginner graphic designer. Employment is definitely a concern.

I'll look more into Florida. Hadn't thought of Tallahassee... Anyone have any thoughts on the other areas mentioned? Gainesville and Ft. Lauderdale?

Colorado looks awesome.. I just don't want more snow! lol :/

Someone mentioned Albuquerque. Any more thoughts on that area?
Also, I had looked into Asheville, and it just seems kind of small for me. But the area looks beautiful and full of culture.

Thanks again for all your thoughts!!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I'm a fiscal conservative, yet socially liberal....you can do your own thing almost anywhere.
You're right! I'm sure I will!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,546,148 times
Um, hello, number 1 liberal city that is really hot. Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.