Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM

64 posts, read 165,389 times

Advertisements

Hi. I live in California, but I have Ukrainian roots. Lately, I've been thinking it would fun to visit some Ukrainian communities around the U.S.

There aren't a whole lot of Ukrainians in my area and I would really like to see an authentic Ukrainian-American diaspora somewhere.

I've already been to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, NY. I've also heard there might be something in the Philadelphia area and I'm currently doing my research on that one.

What other places are there? Where are they exactly and what are they like?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Although its known as a hipster neighborhood these days the East Village in NYC still has a lively Ukranian neighborhood. Much of it is still around the big Ukranian church on 7thst between 2nd and 3rd. It's not nearly as big as it was when I lived there inthe '80s, something of it still remains

Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 AM

399 posts, read 820,648 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Pennsylvania seems to have a lot of Ukrainian neighborhood. Outside of the US, you can go to Canada because they have the world's third-largest Ukrainian population behind Ukraine and Russia, especially Western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta).

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Auburn, a smaller city about 25 miles west of Syracuse, has a Ukrainian National Club on that city's NW side. Many are concentrated on Syracuse's West Side and Western suburbs.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
There's actually a book that has been written about the history of Ukrainians in the Philadelphia region:

Ukrainians of Greater Philadelphia - Alex Lushnycky - Google Books

I am sure you will be able to find some valuable information in there in relation to Philly. I know the Northeastern Region of Pennsylvania (i.e., Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area) also has pockets of Ukrainian heritage.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

I was actually just in Manhattan about a month ago. I wish I had known about East Village back then. I indeed heard it was kind of a hipster place.

Syracuse was a bit of a surprise for me. I've looked into the area before, but didn't realize it had a Ukrainian community. Very cool.

And I'll definitely check out the Philadelphia book as well. I've often heard Philly mentioned as having a large Ukrainian community. I've even started a different thread on this forum specifically inquiring about that area. More info on the topic is always welcome.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Pennsylvania seems to have a lot of Ukrainian neighborhood. Outside of the US, you can go to Canada because they have the world's third-largest Ukrainian population behind Ukraine and Russia, especially Western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta).
Cool web site. I was surprised to see West Hollywood as one of the cities with a large Ukrainian population. I've been there many times, but I'd say most of the people I've met were mostly Russian or Armenian. What I would like to find is more of a dense Ukrainian community.

I've actually heard a lot about Canada having a large population. Do you know where I can find more specific information about that? Like what exact cities have the largest diasporas? What are those communities like? Are there any particular places of interest worth visiting there as a tourist?

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 PM

One more thing...

I was in the bookstore earlier today reading a travel guide about Ukraine. It listed several communities that "thrive" in the U.S. including Philadelphia, Chicago, newark, Baltimore, Cleveland, and Brighton Beach (but I already know all about that last one).

Anyone know anything more specifically about those?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
The Chicago Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.