Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im proud to say that, while the area I live in is exceptionally diverse, there are very few ethnic enclaves. Almost anything is available anywhere. You dont have to drive across town to get a particular food or find a particular group of people.

I think the above is a pretty good description of newer cities or cities that received the bulk of their immigrants in the last 20-30 years. I prefer the integration of the place I live vs. the segregation of ethnic enclaves.
I think the difference now is that even in the older cities, it is more of a higher concentration versus a strictly defined neighborhood. So, while a concentration may be higher, you can still find at least a notable amount of other groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
I live in Burnsville, a suburb of Minneapolis with about 61,000 people. It's not really big enough to contain entire ethnic enclaves. The 2010 Census recorded Burnsville's population at 60,306 (60,828 in a 2011 estimate). White people made up 77.5% of the population, of which 73.9% were non-Hispanic whites. However, as a white person myself, it doesn't seem like three out of four people in this city are white. It seems more like 55-60% white.

The southern portion of Burnsville has a higher percentage of whites given its proximity to Lakeville, which is about 85% white. The census says that blacks make up 10% of the population, Hispanics at 8%, and Asians at 5%, which seems right except blacks are probably more like 15-20% of the population. Maybe it's just the area of the city I live in.

Suburbs like Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Burnsville, Eagan, Shakopee, Plymouth, Maple Grove, and Hopkins are becoming increasingly ethnically diverse. Brooklyn Park is half white and half hon-white, and whites are less than 45% of the population of Brookyln Center.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the difference now is that even in the older cities, it is more of a higher concentration versus a strictly defined neighborhood. So, while a concentration may be higher, you can still find at least a notable amount of other groups.
It depends on the city. Most cities have the higher concentration, but for many, ethnic enclaves are a sign of segreations.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,657,632 times
These are the most notable enclaves in St. Louis:

The Hill- largest Italian neighborhood in the Midwest
Bevo- "Little Sarajevo" - largest Bosnian enclave in the US
South Grand - a true melting pot, but dominated by Vietnamese, Middle Eastern and African
Cherokee Street - Latino/Mexican
Dogtown - Irish
University City (inner-ring suburb)- small Chinatown district, huge orthodox Jewish community

There are also a number of Hispanic enclaves in suburbs throughout the metros.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,487 times
Quote:
Im proud to say that, while the area I live in is exceptionally diverse, there are very few ethnic enclaves. Almost anything is available anywhere. You dont have to drive across town to get a particular food or find a particular group of people.

I think the above is a pretty good description of newer cities or cities that received the bulk of their immigrants in the last 20-30 years. I prefer the integration of the place I live vs. the segregation of ethnic enclaves.
I agree that there are some newer neighborhoods or subregions of metro areas where integration/diversity is higher--in Los Angeles the examples would be the southeast region or koreatown area, or in NYC it would be queens. However, even within these communities where residential integration is high, you will still find clustering of businesses. For example, the Cambodian community in Long Beach has businesses clustered along Anaheim street, though the residents live throughout a much larger area of Long Beach which is highly diverse. "Little Ethiopia" in Los Angeles has very few (if any) residents of Ethiopian heritage/descent living nearby, but the businesses benefit from clustering. I don't see any problem with this as it allows for a much higher degree of specialization and serves as a touchpoint for the community (encourages cultural preservation) and a place for others to experience the culture of that community. Sure, there are thai, mexican, korean, japanese, etc restaurants located all throughout the city, but if I want the best of something or a regional specialty/delicacy, my chances are much higher in an ethnic/national-identity business district.

Also, I do have to point out that there is still significant racial and ethnic segregation within the Dallas metro area.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Also, I do have to point out that there is still significant racial and ethnic segregation within the Dallas metro area.
There certainly are, but thats every metro area in the US (including Dallas and LA). The area I live in is extremely multicultural by any standard. I grew up in the Los Angeles area in a very similar environment (Torrance close to Del Amo mall). That doesnt mean that there arent areas like East LA or Oak Cliff that are almost entirely Hispanic as well as almost entirely white/black/Asian places too.

Houston and Dallas are the two most integrated (not to be confused with diverse although they both are very much so) metro areas in the US. Thats not my opinion, but a statistical fact. The single most diverse zip code in the US is in the Dallas area (Irving). Suburban Los Angeles, the Bay Area outside San Francisco, and the northeastern portion of the Atlanta metro area are other examples of places that are integrated and diverse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/us...anted=all&_r=0

You may ask what it has to do with it all. I say a lot has to do with the age of a city. Before the automobile was invented, you needed to be close to your community from a geographical perspective. It would have taken all day to get across town and back. Now, in the newer more automobile centric and very diverse areas, you dont have to live close to your community. Thats why you find some clusters of certain groups mixed with clusters of other groups.

Your point about the many people not living close to their ethnic enclave is well noted. My wife is Thai and originally lived off Gower and the 101 by Thai town. However, as her family became used to the area and they wanted to buy a house, they did what most Asians in LA do...move to a suburb. They settled in Bellflower. They all live in the Dallas area now.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,487 times
Quote:
There certainly are, but thats every metro area in the US (including Dallas and LA). The area I live in is extremely multicultural by any standard. I grew up in the Los Angeles area in a very similar environment (Torrance close to Del Amo mall). That doesnt mean that there arent areas like East LA or Oak Cliff that are almost entirely Hispanic as well as almost entirely white/black/Asian places too.
Yep--agree with all of your points... and should have added "despite Dallas being integrated by national standards."

My main point, though, was just to point out that residential integration and ethnic business/cultural services clustering are not necessarily at cross-purposes.

Torrance is a great example of a diverse and well-integrated neighborhood. I'm not closely familiar with Dallas's suburbs, but you know that in Torrance and Gardena--both very diverse and integrated communities--there is still some clustering of businesses, most notably in small districts/strip malls serving the Japanese and Korean communities.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Yep--agree with all of your points... and should have added "despite Dallas being integrated by national standards."

My main point, though, was just to point out that residential integration and ethnic business/cultural services clustering are not necessarily at cross-purposes.

Torrance is a great example of a diverse and well-integrated neighborhood. I'm not closely familiar with Dallas's suburbs, but you know that in Torrance and Gardena--both very diverse and integrated communities--there is still some clustering of businesses, most notably in small districts/strip malls serving the Japanese and Korean communities.
Very well put. Point taken.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
It depends on the city. Most cities have the higher concentration, but for many, ethnic enclaves are a sign of segreations.
It can be, but in many cases, it can be a matter of old ways dying slowly in terms of flight and people moving or the biggest group in terms of percentages/plurality. Sometimes services or how a group got here can play a part in this too. For instance, a lot refugees in my area live on the North Side due to some Catholic organizations/churches having a presence there and Catholic Charities has played a part in the relocation of refugees. As some get established, they may move to better city neighborhoods or the suburbs.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,657,632 times
St. Louis

The Hill - Italian (one of the largest and oldest Italian neighborhoods in the country)
Bevo - Largest Bosnian community in the USA
Dogtown - old Irish neighborhood
South Grand/Tower Grove/Dutchtown - Middle Eastern, East Asian, etc.
University City (suburb) - Chinese, Korean, Jewish
Cherokee Street/Gravois Park/Benton Park West - Hispanic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.